Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Passenger

Default Birth Certificates

We sail Monday (Sept 22) on the Holiday. Both my husband and I are using our birth certicficates. His is a copy that is stamped/embossed by the state heatlh department and is dated 1983. Mine is an actual certificate and has the state health department gold seal on it, but it only shows my birth name and date and the certificate file number. Will mine work? Is his too old?

Christy
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Birth Certificates

Lots of people on the boards recommend passports. We didn't have them when we sailed on the Inspiration in February. We just used birth certificates and driver's license. My birth cert. is the originial one my parents got just after I was born in 1966. My husband got his when we got married in 1998 so it was fairly new. I believe they have to have the raised seal on them, but I'm not too sure. We are planning on getting passports for our next cruise.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old September 17th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Christy,

The only port that I know of that currently REQUIRES a passport is a small island in Hawaii, so you should be just fine. Neither my husband or I have passports and have had NO problems whatsoever. Some people will SWEAR that you have to have passports, but it really isn't necessary, and we've had no problems or any other delays just using our birth certificates. You might want to double check with your TA just to be sure...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
L. Galloway

You should be fine, they really aren't that picky even after 9-11. My mother in law traveled with us our last cruise in june who is canadian, but has resided in the U.S. for 35 years. She had her married name on cruise documents, an old birth certificate with no kind of seal at all from Toronto Canada, her marriage license, a military spouse I.D. with her married name just all this conflicting information and she got on board faster than me and my spouse with all our proper documentation. As long as you have a birth certificate, picture i.d. and the same name on i.d as on cruise documents you should be fine. Trust me it's money, they want you on that ship.
Old September 17th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Birth Certificates

Wrong, trust me it isn't the money, it is the laws that they are following and they have no obligation to allow you onboard and will not allow you to board without the proper documents and no reason to refund your money either if you don't have them. You MUST have proper document which consist of at the minimum of a 'original issued' birth certificate with a riased seal or whatever your state does to certify it as an 'original' and a government issued photo ID such as a drivers license or a passport. A passport is the best and easiest but you don;t have time for this cruise. Do yourself a favor and apply for your passoprt as soon as you return from this cruise.
Jim

Old September 17th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Passenger

Thanks for info. After going back and re-reading the requirements from Carnival. I think we are fine. Both are "state issued" cerificiates, no matter how different the look. Both are sealed in some form or fashion.

I think I'll skip the passport. I can't see that I'll ever need one, so why spend the $60.00 on one. It'll get lost like everything else in my house! :-)
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Admiral

My point exactly, CB, why waste money on a passport?

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:53 PM
CACruiser

Default Re: Re: Birth Certificates

A passport was required to sail on the NCL Star around the Hawaiian Islands last year because the ship visits the foreign port of Fanning Island. We were told that will be a cruise requirement in a few more years anyway. We also use our passport for ID when flying instead of our driver's license because the only personal information given is name and date of birth. No one will have access to your address or other personal information. $60 for 10 years is a great deal. Have a great cruise.
Old September 17th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Dick M.

It is my understanding that it must be embossed. If you should need one, go to
www.vitalrec.com/birth.html
You should check with a travel agent, SOON
Old September 17th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Birth Certificates

Not necessarily Dick. It must have the raised seal IF your state has that feature and cannot be just a Xerox copy of your birth certificate. Example is that my birth certificate if from Mass and it is an 8x10 piece of paper with a raised embossed seal. My wife's is from South Carolina and is very mucyh like a Social Security card with fancy boarders but no raised seal or embossing at all. Both are perfectly fine as that is what those respective states issue. This is one of the problems with BC's it is hard to know what each state considers 'official' and that is why it takes so long to have them examined. A passport however is very much the same worldwide and a quick glane is all the Immigration people need. I also take exception to anyone that thinks it is a waste of money, they are the best form of ID you can every have for anything, period. Additionally you can take those vacations that pop up that require a passport. I also fully expect to see a passport required in the not too distant future for any travel outside the USA.
Jim

Old September 18th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Ed Steele

It doesn't need a raised seal. It only has to be a Certified Copy of a State issued birth certificate. I just got back on 9/15 from the Sensation and my wifes birth certificate was a raised seal certified copy, and mine was just a certified copy. We had no problems. The lady next to us had the certificate of birth that the hospital gives for one of her kids.... she had a problem.