Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:41 PM
Passenger

Default Price drop/on board credit question

We purchased a cruise/air package through our local travel agency. We are sailing 11/29/03 and have been paid in full for awhile now. We are happy with the deal we got, but saw recently that the package we bought is now going for $100 cheaper per person. I have read that you can sometimes call your travel agent, and they can call Carnvial about possibly getting you an onboard credit. Is it worth calling our TA? Like I said, we are happy with the deal we got, especially since I am not the type of person who could wait and try to get a better deal at the last minute. That would just stress me out. But if there was a chance we could get a credit, then we'd try. If it's not very likely, then we will just be very happy with what we've gotten. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, how close to your trip do you have to have travel insurance purchased? We haven't bought ours yet and I'm hoping it's not too late.
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:24 PM
Captain

Default Re: Price drop/on board credit question

I tnever hurts to call and ask. the worst you'll get is a no we can't give you a credit. As far as the insurance goes, don't have the answer to that. I'd call Carnival and ask them.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

AKcruiser

Old November 4th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Geri617

What category did u book? You can most likely get an upgrade with the price difference
Old November 4th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Contact your TA with all of the information: where you found the lower price for the exact sailing date and category of cabin. Make sure it is "apples to apples" that you are comparing and that actual cabin numbers are available. Give the TA as much information, example that you booked X months in advance and were promised the "best price". If that price difference is $100 per person, that is a nice amount for a Cabin Credit. Your tips, etc. would be paid in full. Good luck. We received over $700 cabin credit weeks after final payment. This was for a group, too who all got the same amount! Everyone was very happy.
Bon Voyage
Old November 4th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

You have to purchase trip insurance at the time you book your cruise.
Old November 5th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Admiral

By all means call and ask for it. But do make sure it is the same package you bought.

Sometimes cruiselines will discount packages on "new bookings only" thereby relieving themselves of having to refund, upgrade, or credit hundreds of passengers like you who have paid in full already.

Regards,
Thomas (who thinks this practice is unethical since the early booker's money is in the cruiseline's bank account)
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Passenger

How do you find out if there is a price drop? We booked through a travel agent...for a March 2004 cruise....do I need to ask the agent?
Old November 5th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Price drop/on board credit question

You can purchase trip insurance anytime up to your final payment, however my TA advised me that by waiting to purchase the insurance, and a medical condition comes up before you purchase, then if something happens during your cruise related to the medical condition, that the insurance company will probably not cover it. Happy cruising!!!
Old November 5th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Price drop/on board credit question

Our category dropped by $50/person a week before we sailed. We called our TA who said that only Carnival could authorize on-board credit and if we really wanted it we should talk to them.

So we called Carnival who said we had to handle it through our TA. Now I would have given up at this point but my husband (who is very good at politely getting his way with people who claim there is nothing that can be done) explained what our TA told us and asked how we could get Carnival's authorization. After some hemming and hawing they told us they could call the TA and authorize on-board credit, but it wouldn't actually be credited until our TA confirmed that we wanted it. This was very silly but it was the only way to get what we wanted. So they called the TA and authorized it, and we had to call the TA and have them call Carnival to tell them we wanted it! So the TA did and we finally got it.

Long story short, if it's worth a few phone calls and a little bit of diplomacy and patience, go for it, and don't take no for an answer. If the price you see now is for exactly what you have purchased, you have a good shot at getting the on-board credit.
Old November 5th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Sounds like some of you need to change TA's IMO.

Old November 5th, 2003, 07:34 PM
First Mate

I have worked directly with Carnival for bookings. I also saw a $200 discount and had it applied to our final bill. This was for a new booking, but they gave it to me any way. As a past guest , i also received an upgrade. When the initial booking was made, I was unable to have a definate cabin assigned. With the last call I was assigned a cabin number. I feel that you can get more done through the cruise line than with a TA. That is, of course, only my opinion. Have a great cruise.

Marty
Old November 5th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Captain

JudyK,

before I'd call the TA, I'd check some of the online sites, including Carnival. Icruise.com is one as well as cruisesonly.com If you see a lower price, call your TA and see what they can do.

AKcruiser