Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival... NEVER AGAIN

A few years ago while on the Spirit entering the port of Costa Rica i, being the observant ex naval person that I am, noticed an unusually large ground swell that because of the locations and type of pier when all the way under it causing a weorkinf dredge in the inner harbvor to really strain at it's moorings. As we had not been to this port before I was on deck and watching the docking procedured. I observed the excessive movement of the ship at the pier and while the crew was attempting to tie up heard the unmistakable loud report of a line parting, extremely dangerous thing to happen BTW. I also saw the gangway that they had placed get caught between the ship and pier and literally fold in half! Way to dangerous to dock so the line handlers jumped back onboard and we left the port. This was the logical thing to do as lines snapping could kill people in the immediate area, not to mention the pounding the ships hull might take! While standing there I heard more rumors that were totally asinine for the reason we were not docking including the CR government was hoilding us hostage, CCL refused to pay bribes, owed the port money, intentionally teased it's passengers so they would re-book at a later date, there was a revolution.....etc etc. All these people were right there and witnessed this firsthand and swore it was true. There were even those that 'knew' some passengers were allowed off because they saw them depart! It was amazing to see and hear what all transpired. CCL did grant everyone a $25 pp credit to the S&S account which while we we very disappointed that we missed the port we understood it was a safety decision and could not fault CCL at all. I also did some checking and found out that by refunding this $25pp, having to still pay port fees, (we technically did dock), lose the shore excursion revenues that missing this port cost Carnival well over $100,000. Some poeple still thought that CCL did this intentionally but none could explain why anyone would throw away $100,000 just to ruin their vacation. I tell this so that others may understand that cruise lines do not want to miss a port and do everything in their power to get you there but sometimes it just does not happen. While you may be out a port visit, they are out tens of thousands of dollars.
Jim

Old November 9th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Paul Beighley

Default Re: Carnival... NEVER AGAIN

I don't know about any other Carnival ships at the present time, but I do know that Elation, for all the little things I listed above, plus missing the port and not offering anything, certainly does not rate with either the RCI ships Splendour and Rhapsody, also cruising our of Galveston.

From our experience with 19 cruises, we realize that Carnival does not compare favorably with RCI either in ship design or in service. We booked the cruise primarily for the two ports, Progresso and Belize. We still enjoyed the cruise , since we have enjoyed every cruise, but we did find Elation lacking in many ways.
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Admiral

" stuck " in Cozumel because all the land tours were booked up and Carnival didn't offer to help???
Having been to Cozumel about a dozen times I think there is plenty to do there if one simply puts out an effort.

A few years ago we sailed on RCCL's " Granduer of the Seas " when it first came out.
Our first stop was Labadee, Haiti with the next port being San Juan. As we barely got underway from Haiti the ship very suddenly slowed, getting slower and slower until we stopped. After a while the Capt. got on the inter-com and explained we had lost an engine. We had to proceed on to San Juan on one engine which meant we arrived around 6 pm the next day instead of earlier in the day as planned.
Bottom line-- we ended up going to the best Flamenco show I have ever seen and had a wonderful evening. We could have sit around whining to each other and everyone else who would listen but chose to do something and had a ball.

So, you see--Carnival isn't the only line that from time to time has a mechanical problem.
Old November 9th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Carnival... NEVER AGAIN

Paul,
I am glad that I was not so critical of RCI after my Splendour of the Seas cruise. It was one of the worst cruises we have ever done with the food being very poor for a cruiseship, the shows on par with a high school play, a cabin with a rlumpy rock for a matress and that creaked constantly, and a ship crammed with smokers who were not the considerate type. We were very disappointed with the entire ship but were still willing to try RCI again on a differant ship and have enjoyed other RCI cruises since then.
Jim

Old November 9th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Passenger

One shouldn't have to simply put out an effort on a cruise. That's one of the attractions of cruising. Hindsight being 20-20, we could've taken the ferry over to Playa Del Carmen for the day. We didn't have a terrible time in Cozumel. That's not the point. The point is the ship pitched and rolled and billowed plumes of black smoke not due to an act of God, but mechanical malfunctions which could not be fixed on board or in Cozumel, although we were told they were repaired there. We would rather have gone in circles in the Gulf of Mexico at a calm 24 knots instead of rocking and rolling in (late, btw) at 13 knots, since the stabilizers have nothing to do with the azipod system but speed does. Please don't get me wrong. I do not hate Carnival, cruising, Cozumel, etc. Just trying to get a point across. Prudent business practice would dictate some sort of restitution which we will pursue through the appropriate channels.
Old November 9th, 2003, 09:36 PM
ReneeDavid

Hi,
hope everyone is having a great day! We sailed on the Inspiration in 2002, we are comon folk and were hoping for a good cruise. What we got was a fantastic cruise. We heard people complaining about stuff and we thought " these people are too busy whining about something to enjoy this cruise". Nothing ever goes perfect. We are booked on the Triumph Dec 20/03 and are expecting a good cruise, if it's amazing, then great. If not, oh well. I have a friend who is booked on RCI, and all she read were bad notes on the boards. She was in a panic, I said, "you make your holiday what you want, don't worry about what people say" I don't care which cruiseline you choose, as long as you have the bast time you can.
Have a good day and don't let someones bad mood dampen yours.
Brenda
Old November 9th, 2003, 11:06 PM
First Mate

Because a number o people on this and othe thread have commented about how much better RCCL is the way of compensation, I went the th RCCL web site and copied and pasted their policy on missed ports. Their policy is even worse than Carnival's.

What if my itinerary is changed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the event of strikes, lockouts, riots, weather conditions, mechanical difficulties or for any other reason whatsoever, we may, at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel or port of call, and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, deviation or substitution. We shall not be responsible for any failure to adhere to the arrival and departure times published in this website for any of its ports of call.
Old November 10th, 2003, 12:45 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

jedgar - all cruiselines have the same (or similar language) in their cruise contracts. I for one, do find Carnival's customer service a bit lacking compared to other cruise lines, but that is my personal experience.

It would be nice if the staff on board were honest with the passengers about WHY things have changed on their cruise. I do believe that if they are honest about the situation, the passengers will be more accepting of the situation. Works in real life, why not on cruises?

Old November 10th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just came back from my 6th cruise with Carnival - on a sister ship to the Elation - same type DE/AZ and it was GREAT. I have never had a bad cruise, and yes things can happen from time to time, after all, a ship is a machine and things to break and or wear out without warning. I love CARNIVAL and so do may thousand other cruisers. As to the rocking and rolling - you are on a moving ship and they all roll to some degree. In other words GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Edited (11-10-03 07:58)
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Paul Beighley

jedgar,

I have twice missed ports on RCI, once due to mechanical failure and once due to weather, and have been given something bu the cruise line both times. On the Elation cruise, with mechanical failure, we were given nothing!

By the way, during the second day in Cozumel, Carnival brought a wonderful folkloric show aboard. Unfortunately, we missed the announcement about it, if there was one, and missed it, since it was staged only once during the main seating. It could, and should, have been staged twice, since the ship didn't depart till 10pm. That way, we would have all been able to see it. That left us with an additional sour taste.(pun)
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:59 AM
First Mate

Paul
I was only posted what RCCL's policy is not what they do. Carnival's policy is to give a credit of $25 for a missed port that was not substituted which is more generous than RCCL's policy. Carnival also goes beyond, in their policy as in this thread they gave 10% off a future cruise. A recent sailing of the Pride the entire itinery was changed due to 2 hurricanes in the path of their regular itinery, they did substuite ports of call but also gave 50% off the cruise and 50% off a future cruise.

Lisa
I am aware that all cruise lines have same or similar policys, if fact if you would look at my first post to this thread that is exactly what I said, however despite that fact some people say otherwise.
Old November 10th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Paul Beighley

jedgar,

The point is that whatever Carnival"s policy is, that they gave us NOTHING!
Old November 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just a comment on the rocking and rolling in "calm water". Other than steering an agressive zig zag course, there is nothing a ship can do to make itself rock and roll. The water conditions cause rocking and rolling and would effect every ship in those waters. Agreed that some ships ride rough water better than others. The Fantasy class ships [Elation is one] are not known to be rough riding ships. So if you ship was pitching, your "rocking", which is diving or rising from bow to stern or rolling[listing] from side to side. It had to be caused by the water conditions.
Vibrations can and do happen to all ships according to water conditions and the ships manuevering. Some less, some more, but any vibration seems to scare some people badly and make them very leery and uncomfortable. Its never bothered me but I have seen people go ghost white over a tiny vibration. Such a normal thing could well ruin a cruise for some, overriding all good things that might have happened on that cruise.
I have been on 40 cruises, civilian, and some military which don't count. Carnival has no more, or less, problems than any other line including one that was $6800. for a weeks cruise. Out of the 40 cruises, 8 have been on Carnival and I am not now nor have I ever been a Carnival employee.
Sorry you didn't have a good time.
Dan
Old November 10th, 2003, 12:07 PM
ready to go

That's it. I have to say something. So many people are "whining" that their cruise was not 100% perfect. Well, nothing in life ever is!! Lying travel agents are not carnival's fault. Neither are mechanical failures - these things happen. I was reading the original post and looking for the details that got him/her so upset. Didn't see it. Really sounds to me like attitude played a huge role in ruining the cruise for certain people. Haven't you heard the old saying "any bad day on a cruise is still better than any day back home." I know I'm new to the cruise game (only been on one), but come on.... If all you see are lemons, that's all you'll get. from the original posting, I see - extra time on the ship, extra day in Cozumel - no problem. Perhaps you would have been able to enjoy the second day in Cozumel had you had a better outlook on things. You can't blame everything on Carnival - have to accept some of the blame for letting things get to you and ruin your own vacation.
Old November 10th, 2003, 12:56 PM
kittyg

I was on the Elation the week before the problems--It was smooth sailing-------and we hit Belize and trust me-------------------------you did not miss anything------but sorry for your bad luck----I know it was dissapointing.
Old November 10th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Ed A

OK, I have to put in my two cents. I can see that you are very upset, I also am getting the impression that Carnival, the company, (or others) need to respond to your thoughts and feelings - as though they know what you want/need.

Something I still haven't been able to determine - what agent booked your cruise? Carnival's or an independent travel agency?

Others have provided a course of action and I don't think you've followed up on it - write a letter to Carnival stating what happened to you on the cruise, what you are dissatisfied with and what you would like to "make things right".

Here's my response to your reply to the other responses:

* 1 *
No, I wasn't there either. However, I have been on many cruises and 10 cruises with Carnival, not all went as I expected. When there were problems during the cruise I went to the Purser's desk and chatted with them (see above about how I framed the problem). They have always met or exceeded my expectations. If the Purser's Desk was able to solve the situation or it was a problem not addressable during the cruise I wrote a letter to Carnival (again, see above about framing the problem) - again, they met or exceeded my expectations.

* 2 *
Explosion? I have heard many loud thumps and bumps on ships. What cabin were you in? Those closer to the lower decks really do pick up some loud noises. I will admit that I have never heard an explosion - well, not that I knew of.

* 3 *
Repairs made. It is possible they made repairs which they thought would suffice - and as it turned out they didn't. I don't know, I wasn't there. Who told you about the repairs?

* 4 *
Excursions in Cozumel. There is a LOT to do in that area of Mexico. If nothing else you could have gone to a beach and enjoyed the shore breeze, waves and warm sunshine. (I am assuming that the weather was typically sunshine and warm). You mentioned diving? Isn't Cozumel considered one of the premium areas in the Western Hemisphere? I don't know this for sure, it just sticks in my mind from conversations with others I meet on the cruises. If I remember correctly, those who enjoy diving tend to easily find out about what's available on shore - not through the cruise lines.

* 5 *
"Elation is the ONLY ship with the Azipod system." This statement is a clue to me that you don't have all your facts straight. The Elation was built in 1998 and the first cruise ship to have the Azipod system. As a rule - most all ships since then have had the system because it is (1) more efficient, (2) costs less to operate, (3) generally quieter, and (4) provides better propulsion capabilities.

* 6 *
About those black plumes of smoke. I see those all the time - now and then during the cruise. Since there is, I believe, 6 diesel engines down below I am sure that when engines fired up and rpm's are significantly changed they will produce that smoke. I notice the same results with the tractor trailers that are so common on the roads.

I am sorry you had such an experience on your first cruise. I do not blame you if you do not cruise with Carnival again. I for one, and I can tell others share the same sentiment, will continue to cruise with Carnival - they are "The FUN Ship" and others are more "reserved".
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Admiral

"If you are happy with Carnival you are the minority"

Really?? And from what do you derive your results from? Your one lousy cruise?

Sorry if you had a bad time, unfortunately things happen, but as apparent on here, MANY people have cruised Carnival MANY times (including us!) and have enjoyed them immensely!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Familiar Face

I have said this before - think I'll say it again.......
No such thing as a bad cruise...
Just bad cruisers....

No matter what ship - shipline etc.

love to cruise - been on five - have had bad experiences all with Carnival but hey I laughed with other people and we had a good time. Found good stuff to do.

Get a life..... Complain to the people that can really do something about it. We can't.

Old November 10th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Alice

Not for nothing but how could anyone say that there is nothing to do in Cozumel. Of all islands, Cozumel is so easy to see without a tour. You have to make the best of it.
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Paul Beighley

I would like to see someone defending Carnival who was on the Oct 26th cruise. Some have suggested that we write Carnival and complain. I certainly did so in my evaluation of the cruise in the comments section. However, if Carnival only does things for the passingers who complain about the Elation cruise, that gives me one more reason to dislike the cruise line management. They should give credit or whatever to all the passengers or none!

I have been on 19 cruises, six of them with Carnival. Little problems occur on virtually all cruises and large ones on a few. I have enjoyed every cruise including this one, but, if I were to rank them, this one would certainly be at the bottom.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Tommie

The lies were told to us by the a Carnival rep. I booked through Carnival directly. We got the 10% discount and the credit because Carnival admitted their rep was wrong for telling us lies. The missed port was GREAT. We got to stay an additiomal 14 hours in Cozumel. My complaint isnt with the ship itself. My complaint is with how the company (land & sea) treated us. My note also stated that I understand things can and do go wrong sometimes with ships. I didnt want ANYTHING from Carnival except for them to know the future problems this ONE rep might cause with other first-time cruisers.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Everyone wants a "cheap" cruise that never has any problems. I think the only way to eliminate most problems would be to cruise 1 week and take the next week off to fix things. Can you imagine the price the public would have to pay for cruises??
The fact is Carnival needs to keep these ships in the water and cruising to remain profitable and there is nothing wrong with this. ALL mechanical things break at some point and Carnival isn't exactly cruising with 100 year old ships. They are very up to date on their ships and offer a great product at a great price.
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Tommie

WOW 51 messages so far !!!!! To some of you Carnival is great and would cruise with them again.......However if you read through all the replies MOST all of the people who were actually on that cruise were disappointed. My complaint wasnt with the ship, missing Belize, food, or the excursions (those were already booked prior to docking in Cozumel the 2nd day). My complaint is with the company and the lies the Carnival rep told me when I booked our cruise. We were compensated for these lies (which were many) and were told "Thank You" for bringing it to their attention. As a large company they can't afford to have their employees giving out misleading information just to fill a ship. We DID make the BEST of a bad situation onboard and at ports. For those of you who were on this cruise........I was told by a friend that got back Sunday (11-9-03) that a crew member told him the reason we didnt make it to Belize was due to a storm. A STORM! !?!?! Also I would like to ask a question for those who read my original message and complained about my complaining. We docked in Cozumel on the 2nd day for 14 hours. My concerned was for the people who were left on the ship with nothing to do.......Why didnt Carnival suggests to these passengers that they could ride the ferry over to Play del Carmen and book their excursions over there. Its a 30-45 minute ferry ride to the main land and EVERY excursions you can think of (includes the ones that Carnival offered onboard and is the same except the cruise line has the excursion chartered) is available. We know this because we rode the ferry and also because we have vacationed there before. Just wondering about this. The reason behind my original message was not to upset anyone but to let people know that TRUST in a company is important. And Carnival failed with me personally. There is alot MORE to this story but hopefully NO ONE will ever re-live our delimma.
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:58 PM
LetsGo

WOW! I would love to know what lies you were told that have you so dang upset? I was on the Oct 26th Elation cruise out of Galveston and i STILL had a blast! Only thing that bothered me was the occasssional smell of sewage in the hallways. I was upset at 1st about not going to Belize but a 2nd day in Cozumel turned out to be the highlight of our trip. It all comes down to you make it what you want it to be. This was my 1st cruise and I would do it again in a heartbeat......especially the Elation!
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Not Elated with Elation

Thank you Paul!!! This was our first cruise; we heard such good things about Carnival. And I am not saying that I would not try them again. But the lack of information on this cruise was terrible! Lots of you say what great cruises you had . WELL THAT'S GREAT!! But where were they on this cruise? Get over it, Go on, Forget about it . (BITE ME) I have tried to be nice up to this point .

Telegalc you sound like a person if getting robbed you would tell your wife give him the money, he looks like he needs it .

JeanS & Alice
this one lousy cruise cost me $3500.00. I am pissed!!! We DID try to to make the best of it but it it was one screw up after other. Lots to do in Cozumel.... what, shop ,drink go to the beach? I did that the first day we were there. Ok book a tour.... WELL that would be great if our ship was scheduled to be there. Most all tours were booked.

DAN40 i am sorry that i am not a sailor. It was (listing) side to side most of the time even in calm waters due to the reduced cruising speed. if i wanted to rock and roll i would have booked a trip on a rollercoaster.

Ready to Go "Whining Attiude"... If I treated my customers like we were treated i would be out of business. Yes this lemon left a sour taste !

Katenanna45. When it rocks so much it knocks you off your feet that's not little side to side SO YOU GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look folks I am sorry if I made this personal but my wife and I worked and saved a long time for this. We honestly tried to make the best of it. Maybe our expectations were too high. So PLEASE DON'T TELL US WE SHOULD HAVE A DIFFERENT ATTITUDE WHEN YOU WEREN'T THERE.
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Admiral

I don't think you should have a different attitude, just wish you would finish venting. I think everybody got the point and will be more cautious, but........

Most people are on this message board to get information, yes, but always to enjoy our past and future cruises.

Do you not *get* that you are being a wet blanket? And could you please stop screaming? If this were a moderated board you have been bumped off long ago.

I am truly sorry that you had such a horrible trip, especially since you spent such an incredible amount of money - I'd be unhappy, too. But I think folks are just saying it's seems as though it's time to move on.

I hope you have other fun cruises in your future. Sounds like you need to try another cruise line.

dorothy
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Admiral

Well, Not Elated, you need to re-read some of the responses, because some people *were* there and made a great time of it! And yes, there is a LOT more to do in Cozumel than shopping and drinking, unfortunately you just did not find it...

...wishing your next cruise is *much* nicer!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 11th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Well. let's see. Some people on this cruise had a terrible time and others had a wonderful time. How can that be???

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:54 AM
First Mate

You don't get uscers from what you eat. You get them from what's eating you.
Old November 11th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Familiar Face

I shall change the subject.

TELEGALC IS FEMALE........

Maybe you should try an all inclusive hotel. You may be more pleased.