Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 9th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Passenger

Default Safes on Carnival and access to them?

Can someone explain to me how the in room safes work and is it true that only one card works regardless of how many are in your cabin?
Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Safes on Carnival and access to them?

On the Triumph you used a credit card to lock the safe and you had to use the same credit card to unlock it. It was a swipe type thing like when you use your credit card at the store and pay at the register. You can use different credit cards but you have to use the same one when you open the safe (not one to open and another one to lock it).

Old November 9th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Passenger

We discovered, quite by accident, that you can lock the safe with one Sign & Sail card and open it with any credit card or driver's license with a mag strip on it. Several on our trip discovered the same. Not very "safe" is it? But at least if the person who locked the safe is not available you have an option!
Old November 9th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Eric & Sandi

On our recent CCL cruise we were told several times NOT to use our sail and sign to lock our safe for just this reason. I think these safes are a great idea and I'm supprised I haven't seen them yet in hotels. Eric
Old November 9th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Safes on Carnival and access to them?

So what you are saying is...doesnt matter who it is, or what card it is...ANYONE that enters your cabin can open the safe as long as they have a card with a magnetic strip on it??? If I were Carnival, I'd be concerned that their staff would be accused if something were to come up missing, afterall, they do come in your room while you are gone, correct?
Old November 9th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Safes on Carnival and access to them?

I know in our cabin on the Triumph you couldn't open the safe unless you used the SAME card to close and open it! I don't know about the other ships though.
I would be concerned too!

BTW: NEVER use the S&S card to lock the safe...that is bad cause all someone needs is it to open your cabin door and go into your safe.

Old November 10th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

We used our Kroger card. DO NOT use your sign and sail card. Try to open it with a different card from the one you used and it should not open. Only one card would work for us. The safe is about the size of a bread box so don't plan on putting your purse in there unless it's small.

Old November 10th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Safes on Carnival and access to them?

No tammy, what they are saying is that the specific card with the magnatic strip that you use to lock the safe is the same and only card that will open it. The only other way it can be opened is by security and they have to have you sign before and after that they opend the safe for you and it is a bit of a hassle as they do not like to do this unless really necessary. Your belongings are safe in their safes. <G>
Jim

Old November 10th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Captain

So it does NOT have to be a credit card...you can use a store discount card or PETCO, as long as it has a magnetic strip...is that correct? There will be 4 of us using the same safe and I want to leave the card inside a sock in the drawer or something so others can use it while we are out....but don't want to leave a credit card around.

Sensation

Old November 10th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Captain

Joie, that's correct.

AKcruiser

Old November 10th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Bmaintz

I might suggest since there are 4 of you that you might set up an account at a store or other that can give you 4 cards on the account.... That way they could carry the card with them...
Some banks will give you instant debit cards...
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Safes on Carnival and access to them?

Bmaintz,
Doesn;t work that way as even cards on the same account have some differances and only the exact card used to lock the safe will open it.
Jim

Old November 10th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Cassie-

While on the spirit last year we found that we could open our safe with anyone of the Kroger cards we had. Kroger (grocerie store) gives you 3 cards when you open up a loyalty coupon card account. That way we all had one (3 of us) ANywho just make sure you try it before you go locking things in there.

Good luck
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Captain

Sounds good to me........will give it a try.
Thanks