Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2003, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Default what to do in Freeport?

I've read several posts wishing that Carnival would drop Freeport. After reading through Frommer's, it doesn't seem as though there is as much to do in Freeport compared to Nassau.

Any suggestions for me and my 13 year old? He votes for staying on the ship, but I think we should at least visit Lucayan National Park, or do some shopping.

Any good excursions, or other suggestions?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2003, 10:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: what to do in Freeport?

Dorothy,
We went to the international market and did all of our shopping, then got a taxi over to Lucayan beach/hotel area.
The beach was great! If I had it to do over, I would have skipped the inernational market and gone straight to the Lucayan area. You can do all of your shopping there, and hit the beach without paying for the taxi twice. We also found that the taxi drivers at international market were trying to charge way too much, we refused to pay more than $5 pp. since that is what the sign at the ship said it would cost. Keep in mind that the formal night on the 4 day Fantasy is the same night as Freeport.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:49 AM
Admiral

The International Shopping Bazaar or Port Lucaya are about the only things to do in Freeport. Port Lucaya has a beach but in January the water will be too chilly to swim, IMO. There are plenty of shops at Port Lucaya if you want to do some shopping.

They were building a mini shopping area at the pier which may be completed by now. If it is I might go there to pick up some things, but otherwise I'll probably stay on the ship.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Thomas,
I was there a few weeks ago, and the shopping at the peir has been built. The problem with it though is that ALL the shops had exactly the same stuff!
The water was pretty cool, but I live in Wisconsin, so I rarely swim anywhere it is warm, so we went in. They also offer parasailing, and other water sports at Port Lucaya. Personally, I didn't go on a cruise to ignore the ports of call, so I got off the ship to see the city. It was not much, but the experience of being in the Bahamas for the first time, driving on the left side of the road, and talking with the local taxi driver about life on the island was a fun experience.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Yeah, if I was going for the first time I would get off and see the area too. It's not one of the better stops in my opinion, but if you've never been there it can be enjoyable.

I might check out the new shops at the pier though, I've never seen them. Last trip I hunted all over the Port Lucaya shopping area for some Bloody Mary mix and darn near gave up.

Regards,
Thomas