Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Sofia

Default 1/11/04CONQUEST-Strange Occurances

I have some friends who recently went on the Carnival Conquest to the Caribbean 1/11/04-1/18/04. I am a frequent cruiser but was not able to go on this particular cruise. Nothing strange has ever happened on any of my cruises, at least not that I know of.

Anyway, when they got back, they told me a passenger had died during the cruise. Another story was a man tried to bring a bunch of cocaine on the ship after spending the day in Jamaica and is now in a Jamaican jail. They also said a girl tried to commit suicide by jumping off the ship, but they think it ended up being a different cruise ship, not the Conquest. Was anyone on this particular cruise and can you confirm or dismiss any of these strange occurences??? Are they just telling me stories that are false.I am just curious. In any case, if you were on this cruise, how did you like it???
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise
Default Re: 1/11/04CONQUEST-Strange Occurances

Deaths on Board are not quite common but not unusual. They happen every so often.
Before, the ships did not carry blood due to spoilage but I think that now because a few passengers have bled out because they did not contact the medical department in time they are going to carry a bit.

Old January 25th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

I read on another message board that someone did recently die on the Conquest. This wasn't an urban legend; the story was told by a friend of the deceased who was also on the cruise.
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

As I said though, deaths on board are nothing to be scared or shocked about......people die on other types of vacation. At least one person died on one of my last few cruises....

Post Edited (01-25-04 19:06)
Old January 25th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Sofia

I have heard of deaths before too. I know they happen quite often actually. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there on this particular (1/11/04-1/18/04) cruise that could confirm these occurances happening.
Old January 26th, 2004, 12:31 PM
MelBCroozer

Default Re: Re: 1/11/04CONQUEST-Strange Occurances

On the Cruise Critic message board, Host Kristi tells about the sudden death of her friend while on board the Conquest on the 1/11 sailing. It seemed very sad. I know they had planned that trip for a while. I hope we don't hear about any other tragedies any time soon.
Old January 26th, 2004, 03:56 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan

Yes i was on that cruise and someone in our group suddenly passed away. It was an erie weekoverall. First, we hadn't even left the Mississippi River and we had to stop the ship to let a sick passenger off. Then the next day, the ship had to backtrack 100 miles to meet up with the Coast Guard helicopter so a passengers could be airlifted off the ship. A crew member in Cozumel had to have medical attention at the local hospital. The last night of the cruise as we were sailing up the MS River, we had to stop the ship again and let someone off. I'm sure these are not uncommon occurences but being there was a death in our group, I think it just seemed like every time we turned around, something bad was happening. Also it's true about someone gettting arrested for trying to smuggle cocaine back on the ship. I heard another variation on this, that is was a couple with a young child.
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:00 PM
sofia

Thanks Mel and Jan for the info. I went to the cruise critic site and got the info. Very sad story about Jamie. He was very young. Kind of a cursed trip if you ask me. I hope despite the tragedies, fun was still had by all.
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jan, I am only speaking from what I know about sailing out of New Orleans. When you leave New Orleans the Carnival Ship's captain doesn't navigate the ship until it reaches the gulf. There will be a MS River captain who takes the ship to the mouth of the river. These guys know this river backward and forward and I suppose it is for safety reasons that they do this..The exact same thing will happen when you return from your cruise and enter the river. They stop and pick up the river captain to go up the river to N.O. Maybe that is what was happening when you noticed the ship had stopped and you saw someone get off or on. In any case, it does sound like you guys had an eerie cruise. We went on the Conquest in October and I read somewhere that a young girl had died a few weeks before we went from alcohol poisoning standing on the Lido deck near the pool. I don't think it is a real common thing for people to die on the ship but it sure happens. With 3,000 people aboard anything could go wrong. Just seems like you guys had more than the usual. It makes you stop and count your blessings for sure.

Old January 29th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Most ports require the use of "harbor pilots." They are licensed experts of the routes to the anchorage. Thats' why it's so intersting to be topside when oyu approach a port.
Generally, you'll see a small boat resembling a tug, the ship will travel at a speed specified by the harbor master and be ready to recieve the pilot on a specific side in relation to wind and sea conditions.

Ususally the pilot will enter through the same door that is used when the ship docks, or a tender door. The pilot then takes a direct to bridge elevator. While aboard, his authority exceeds that of the captain when in regards comes to navigation. Sometimes he or she might be taken abaord by a ladder deployed ove the side. But usually the pilot boat has a platform of the correct height.

Watch your starbord side the next time you enter or leave Cozumel or FLL.

In the case of the MS River, segments of the river may require separate pilots simply because the river is such diverse navigation environment, between entry and NO.

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:12 PM
janelle

I was on the Triumph in December and a young guy (early forties) died on the boat!
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Todd Welch

My parents were recently on a HAL cruise...can't recall which one, but someone doing the passenger talent show had a heart attack and died on stage during his performance. His wife and mother were in the audience when it happened. They said he was doing his bit and then the lights when out and when they came back on a few seconds later, he was lying on the stage....everyone thought that it was part of the act until the stage crew and staff came running out from the sides. My mother is a nurse and said that he died before they could get him off the stage.

Very sad...I believe he was not very old either.

Todd
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:30 PM
L.C.

Eeew I will be going on the Truimp next month, That is so sad.It's sad someone had to write about a death on the ship but I guess it happens all the time from what I am reading. I hope no one dies on our ship and everybody is healthy and having fun!
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

My father, before retiring, guided tour groups many times throughout his career. Deaths and illnesses were not uncommon, mostly because of the average age of those able to afford the expensive trips. That is a great reason to travel with a reliable company that knows the ins and outs of dealing with foreign countries.