Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:51 PM
regina

Default bringing liquor with

What is the best way to bring your own liquor on board without getting caught?
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Alice

Default Re: bringing liquor with

We bubbled wrapped the hard liquor then put it into zip lock 1 gal bags. Then into our checked luggage. We had flown to Miami so we waited until we were in Miami to buy the liquor.

As far as wine goes they allowed two bottles to be carried on for special occasions.

We had no problems.
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:38 PM
MasTequila

The above answer is perfect. Wrap it in bubbles, stow it in your checked luggage, and you're fine.

As an aside, I took an 'unbreakable' large mouth water bottle...filled it with Lemonade on the Lido deck, mixed it with O Barcadi and Strawberry flavored vodka that we brought. Great drink.

The suites have a wet bar that you can unpack your bottles and use the provided bar glasses. The stewards won't care...in fact mine kept a few drinks iced down in the ice bucket the whole cruise (without me asking).

BTW, one of the items of alcohol I brought were 30 pre-packaged shots of Lemon Drops. During the SuperBowl, brought out a dozen...... the crew were fine with us doing them in the bar (of course we didn't bring whole bottles up or anything like that...I'm just illustrating that the crew are more than happy to wink wink, nod nod).

Make sure to get a soda card if you're not using Lemonade or water to mix with.
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Passenger

I usually bring Vodka, stock up on O.J in the cabin and drink screwdrivers all week...
Kevin

Old February 10th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Passenger

There is no way to get caught if you put the liquor in your checked on baggage. There are thousands of pieces of luggage and none of it is inspected.

Once onboard the cabin steward in only interested in getting a tip so he isn't about to turn you in. Just put it on your table and don't worry about it.

Zoomer
Old February 10th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mondaysva
Default Re: Re: bringing liquor with

Zoomer,

Can you really bring sodas, beer, wine, liquor, etc. onto the ship? Do they not check these items?
Old February 10th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: bringing liquor with

if you are travelling from canada don't bother with vodka. the price of a bottle in the ship store is much better than what you buy in canada. the pop is very expensive, take some if you can and then just replenish at each island.
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Passenger

Mondaysva

When you get on the ship look below where they are loading the baggage. They don't carry on each piece luggage individually, they have pallets of luggage stacked 6'-8' high that are being loaded by fork lifts. None of that is inspected.

We carried on, in our checked luggage, a bottle of Scotch, a bottle of Cognac, one bottle of Champagne, 3 bottles of wine, one double-bottle of wine, several cans of coke, a couple of bottles of Evian, and a big bottle of Diet Pepsi. All of it was in our checked luggage and we took it out as soon as we arrived and placed it on the table. We asked the cabin steward to keep our ice bucket filled each day--which he did--so we could have a drink whenever we wanted.

We took a bottle of wine to supper every evening with the expectation that we would have to pay the $10.00 "corkage fee". However, the waiter said he would serve it to us and not charge the fee. (There was one exception--when we brought the double bottle of wine to dinner he said we would have to pay the fee--he said the Maitre'D would know that the double bottle didn't come from the ship).

I don't know what would happen if you tried to take your booze on board in your carry-on when you embark. We only did that one time after buying a bottle of wine in Mexico but when we told them that we would pay the "corkage fee" they let us come aboard and didn't take away our bottle.

It's really no big deal...at least for us it wasn't.

Zoomer
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:37 PM
sidsammy

I've always taken wine on in my carry on at embarkation. No one has ever said anything. I know they discourage it, but I have a feeling they really can't do anything about it, as long as you are on U.S. soil (or water). I don't know this for sure, but I do know that at non-U.S. ports they don't look the other way and store it when you come back on board. No matter how well I might pack or wrap it, I haven't had the nerve to put wine in my luggage. Knowing how luggage is tossed around, I just have visions of red wine on all my clothes!!!
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:54 PM
First Mate

We just returned from the inspiration and we put Vodka Goldschalger and Bacardi in our packed luggage and were fine arrived in our room w our luggage my husband and best friend even put unwrapped bottles of Coronas in a hanging bag and they arrived safe and un broken............. Although I did but 7 bottles of achol for realitives for home they didnt arrive safe but it was my fault I didnt pack in BUBBLE wrap..2 broke but oh well ...
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

thanks for the tips....
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:38 AM
mdrowell

Default Re: Re: Re: bringing liquor with

Walked right on the Inspiration, with no inspections or scanners. Had a bottle of booze in luggage, and 4 water bottles full of rum and a 12 pack of coke and 6 limes in a soft cooler. The cabin steward was more than happy to make sure we had lots of ice. We bought a couple of the souvenier insulated containers with straws and was all set.
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mondaysva
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: bringing liquor with

Thanks for all of the great ideas. You guys are great, at least there are some folks out there that are helpful.

Carnival Destiny 2004

Carnival Sensation 1996
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:19 AM
regina

Thanks for all the advice and tips. I'll be sure to stock up on the diet coke!!! Do they sell bottles/cans of soda rather than doing the soda card? Thanks again! Pam

38 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:48 PM
shipbound

Why put in with your luggage just take it on the plane with you but check ith the airlines first.

Gary.
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:32 PM
First Mate

our liquor went from NV to Tampa by air and was fine BUT if you decide to by it there make sure the hours of selling liquor is enough time to get to port on time .What i mean is that when we went to buy the beer in Tampa we had to wait untill 11 am to buy it its the law on sunday .it was weird coming from NV a 24 hr drinking State. Have fun good luck
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:57 AM
bonie

When we were on the Fascination, I bought my Kahlua on board and took it back to my room, then when I ordered room service I always ordered extra milk.

Always had milk on hand for Kahlua and milk, my favourite.

On another cruise with RCC, I do remember that when bags were checked when getting back on the ship, it seemed if you had a lot of liquor they held your liquor, but were not concerned with 1 bottle being brought on board.

The prices in the duty free shops on board are excellent, so I would purchase my liquor on board. The wine however was kinda pricey. If you like wine, then I would probably pack some in your luggage.

As for pop, I am travellling from Canada and the airline when leaving out of Vancouver weigh your suitcases and if you are over limit, you pay quite a bit, so I don't think that taking heavy pop would be worth it for me.

Have a great trip.
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Marina

pack it well and go for it, i did and was fine. used to be my sign and sail would be $500 on the average. this last trip was $199 and that was for 2 drinks and the rest of stuff i thought i couldnt life without) at worst they will take it away from u and give it back at end of cruise, i think!!!!.
Old February 15th, 2004, 12:37 PM
cantw82cruz

We sailed the conquest Feb 1 and had absolutely no problem with our liquor getting on board. We packed beer, wine and rum in our checked baggage and all arrived intact. Next time would bring more pop though. We only brought a 12 pack and ran out fairly quick. After the juices are put away in the mornings, the only available free mixers are lemonade(which is really good) and fruit punch (which is really sweet). We also brought a bottle of rum we bought in Jamaica back on the ship with us and had no problem at all.