Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2004, 07:30 PM
fun4me

Default passenger injury

Just wondering if anyone knew the answer to these questions. We just got back from our first cruise where we went to Progresso, Cozumel, and Belize. On the return to home port from Belize a passanger fell and broke her ankle so severely (compound fracture punctured through the skin, tore all tendens and ligaments) while coming down the steps that we had to divert our course and return to Progresso to get her medical attention. I was wondering if something like this had ever happened on anyone else's cruise and who pays for this womans flight back to the US, would Carnival be liable for her fall? It made for very interesting conversations during the journey. The captain kept us informed about the diversion but we never found out how the woman was.
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: passenger injury

The woman pays for it and hopefully she has insurance. As to who eventually pays for it, I have no idea as that would have to be determined by the parties involved and possibly courts if there is negligence etc.
Jim

Old July 5th, 2004, 08:59 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

Fun4me,

While my daughter and I were on the Juilee in July 02, a passenger had an acute appendicitis attack that apparently was deemed life threatening. We were on our last sea day. The boat sped up toward Tampa and we were about 40 miles out the US coastguard plane found and flew round and round the ship until a medivac helecoptor came. It lowered a basket to the deck, they loaded the man and pulled it up into the helcoptor. Was some task too as they had to remove all of those decorative lights and tall poles that they could get close to the deck. They roped off the whole back of the ship and people were of course packed in the front to get a look. We were returning from Cozemel.

Since we basically had almost a whole day left, I asume we made circles in the Gulf to roll off our time.

I imagine that was a hefty bill to pay as well.

TC
Old July 5th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Miracle Cruiser

While we were on the Miracle on May 16 we had a passenger who died while walking from the dining room. She was an older woman. Her husband tried to give her CPR with the waiters looking on. It was really disturbing. The incident happened while the waiters were dancing to Ricky Martin. Someone on the mike asked for a doctor before they played the next song. i assumed he was just making a joke until one of my kids came back and said they saw a lady down just outside the dining room.
This happened on our second day and they never took her off until we got to Key West - 36 hours later. I'm sure with the number of older passengers this might happen a lot, but it took about 10 minutes for help to get to her. I wondered if the crew is told not to help for liability reasons.
Old July 5th, 2004, 09:23 PM
fun4me

Default Re: Re: passenger injury

Wow, sounds like things like this happen more frequently than I thought. I suppose it would since passengers are cruising 365 days 24/7. You just never think of a tragedy when you think of a cruise.
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Cruisingrandma

Our last cruise on the Pride in April, A gentleman had a little too much to drink and fell and broke his leg. We had to come into Cabo on the way to puerto Vallarta. They stopped and the boat came up to the ship and took a couple off. he was on a guerney. I heard that the guy jsut went flying after getting off a bar stool. Then a older man got stuck in a hot tub. he couldnt get his balance. My husband was at the bar getting a drink and he heard the man yelling help. So the bar tender wnet to rescue him. he was fine. We saw him later that nite. i believe this happens a lot that there is a accident on the ship and have to get someone off the ship in a hurry. happy cruising....
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM
on_the_water

Here's a story for you. A few years ago on the way back to Miami a passenger fell off the back of the ship. It was sometime during the early morning hours and the ship was only a few miles from Miami. By few I mean five or six. So we were pretty close.

The guy had left the disco extremely drunk on his last night of vacation and went out onto the back deck alone. Somehow he then fell overboard, and no one noticed. He showed up the next day in Miami. He said that he could see the lights of Miami from where he was in the ocean, and he just started swimming toward them.

We all had wondered if he really fell off, or jumped and then changed his mind. It just seemed kinda hard to fall off the back of the ship and have no one notice. I guess it could happen. Occasionally someone would decide to end their life while out to see and jump overboard. However, someone else always noticed them jump, and they always seem to be gratefull that they were saved. I've only actually been on one ship when this happened, but when it does on another ship the news travels amongst the fleet pretty quickly.
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM
on_the_water

Here's a story for you. A few years ago on the way back to Miami a passenger fell off the back of the ship. It was sometime during the early morning hours and the ship was only a few miles from Miami. By few I mean five or six. So we were pretty close.

The guy had left the disco extremely drunk on his last night of vacation and went out onto the back deck alone. Somehow he then fell overboard, and no one noticed. He showed up the next day in Miami. He said that he could see the lights of Miami from where he was in the ocean, and he just started swimming toward them.

We all had wondered if he really fell off, or jumped and then changed his mind. It just seemed kinda hard to fall off the back of the ship and have no one notice. I guess it could happen. Occasionally someone would decide to end their life while out to see and jump overboard. However, someone else always noticed them jump, and they always seem to be gratefull that they were saved. I've only actually been on one ship when this happened, but when it does on another ship the news travels amongst the fleet pretty quickly.
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:03 PM
teach

I was on the Elation when this happened as well. We were curious what happened to the lady when she got into Progresso. It's obviously not a place equipped to handle a lot of medical situations. I've been curious how the lady is doing.
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Passenger

My friends mother passed away on a Canada/New England cruise last year. It took several days to have her body returned to Florida, but they said everyone was great. Apparently she died while the ship was in Canadian waters, and that's what took so long to have her sent back.
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:07 AM
First Mate

We were on the Inspiration in Feb and a man died at the pool area.They figuredhe had a heart attack.But it was our first day at sea was the bummer thing .......If im gonna pass while on my cruise then I guess thats ok >>Its what I dream about day n night so ill be happy with that ...BBBUUTTT let it be my last day oh please!!!!!
,................................................. .....................................Shelly....... ................................................

Old July 6th, 2004, 11:54 AM
First Mate

I was on a Royal Caribbean ship in 2000 (Grandeur of the Seas) and our first full day at sea. We noticed they were clearing the top 2 decks and the disco bar thingy, had them all taped off so nobody could get through. And then the captain had told us that there was a crew member going to be air lifted off the ship due to medical reasons. We were far from Miami, but the US Coast Guard Helicopter came and took the man off the ship in one of those basket things too. This took at least an hour before the helicopter headed back to Miami. Then on our way to our last island, late at night, like Midnight or later I was out walking looking for my cousin, and I was like the only one walking by the pool when all of the sudden the ship tipped so far that all the pool water was draining out of the pool. So many rumors had been going around of what happened. But come to find out there was a call to the captain that a passenger was overboard. We searched for a couple hours, and even another cruise ship nearby helped with the search for a bit. But eventually everyone was accounted for and they retrieved the buoy (or however that is spelled) and we were back on our way. Those are the only stories I have, other then on my very first cruise we were in a hurricane. But thats all I have from all 6 cruises that I've been on so far.

*Kim*
07/30/95 - Fantasy
12/19/97 - Ecstasy
07/26/99 - Imagination
04/01/00 - Grandeur of the Seas
04/01/01 - Carnival Victory
03/29/03 - Carnival Triumph
11/11/04 - Sensation
04/17/07 - Imagination (again)
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:47 PM
ljrfrm

Just returned yesterday from the Paradise. We diverted to Cozumel our first day for two passengers to receive medical attention - one with acute appencitis and the other fell down the stairs and broke either a hip or leg. I felt bad for them......on the first day of the cruise and all.
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Ginamarie

You'd be surprised how often things like this happen. I work in the maritime law field, so we deal with cruise ship issues all the time. How the vessel deals with paying for things varies by what cruise line is handling it. Some cruiselines will pay for more of the expense than other ones will. Although if you have to get left at port, you always get stuck funding your way back onto the ship or back home.
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mm3sides1972

I was on the Miracle June 12th out of NY and thery had to air lift a paitent out. I was very curious as to what happened...if anyone knows please let me know!!!
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think CCL alone has 79 ships in its fleet. Say they averaged 2000 pax per week.
79X2000X52=8+million. Follow any mixed group of 8 million for a year and you will find numerous sicknesses, injuries, and deaths. It is just the way life is.
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Jerry H

We were on the Carnival Holiday in 1986. Back then.... a new ship. At night the pool was drained to keep people from drowning. They coverred the pool with a nylon net. Several teenage boys were taking turns jumping from an upper deck on to the nylon net. Something went wrong and one of the teenagers broke his neck. The next day he and his family were evacuated by a US Coast Guard Helicopter. We were a long way from land headed to ST. Martin. We were told by a crew member that the teenager did not make it.
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:41 AM
jamiegunter

Thats why you should always purchase the vacation insurance. It covers you for all of that including being lifeflighted off the ship. Alot of insurance companys may not cover you when you are outside the united states. Think about that, we always get the insurance.
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our first cruise on the Inspiration in February 2003, we had to turn around and go back to Grand Cayman because someone was very ill and we ended up missing our stop in Cozumel.

Then on our next cruise on the Triumph in December 2003, an older gentleman had a heart attack and died right in the photo area (he probably saw how much the pictures were going to cost him).

Hopefully, on our next cruise in February '05, we won't have any serious illnesses or deaths.

Melissa

02/13/05 Carnival Miracle
12/27/03 Carnival Triumph
02/15/03 Carnival Inspiration

Old July 8th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to mm3sides1972

ok...Melisa wrote a horrible joke but it made me laugh very loud...am I evil???
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Captain

On our April 12th cruise aboard the Miracle a woman got airlifted. We were supposed to be in Key West that day, but due to rough seas we couldn't dock.
Old July 8th, 2004, 04:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)

We were one the Conquest last year when a very drunk man was up on the open deck, tripped and broke a leg. Not 15 minutes later another drunk lady this time passed out on the same deck but I don't think she was hurt. We were on the top deck looking down at all the hoop-pa-lah. I told my husband, "better stay away from the bar. There dropping like flies."

TC

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old July 9th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

I work in the Operations Division of a Marine Terminal ...if there is a death aboard a cruise ship that originated out of the Terminal, the cruiseline notifies us. Not to be morbid, but there is an actual morgue on board ships. For numerous reasons, families often opt not to to have the body flown back to their hometown...most times for $$$ reasons. The bodies are placed in the morgue until the ship arrives back at the Terminal.

At the current time most ships average two deaths per cruise. Heart attacks being the number one cause of death. And believe it or not...sucide is either 2nd or 3rd. Will have to look up the statistics again. Most are from jumping overboard and the bodies are never recovered. But I have read reports of onboard suicides as well!

Most cruiselines try and keep onboard deaths quite for obvious reasons. And even the positioning of the hearse so that passsengers cannot see it as the ships arrives is taken into consideration. The body(s) are removed along with the luggage. The whole operation is very transparant.
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Jerry H

Your comment "At the current time most ships average two deaths per cruise" seems real high. That is 104 deaths per ship per year. There are over 60 cruise ships sailing in the US. We would have heard that number before. Please verify that "average two deaths per cruise". Thank you.
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I said that they Average two deaths......didn't say that it happened on every cruise ship and on every cruise. Go to www.******** There is alot of information supplied there concerning accidental deaths and suicides. Im not sure where you could obtain statistics. I am only telling you what I know from my experience at the Terminal where I work.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

JERRYH - I was just talking to a co-worker and he asked me to ask you if you knew how many people died from heart attacks or from cancer in the town where you live.

People that die on cruise ships is not a widely discussed topic unless it it due to an outbreak of Legionaires (sp) disease, or Norwalk/Norvio virus. So you probably wouldn't hear about it unless you had first hand knowlege such as the posters on this thread.
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

On an Alaska cruise years ago, when the pax average age was higher than nowadays. There was at least one death between each port. I saw one man in the showroom keel over and the crew had him out of there in 3 minutes tops. At each stop the hearse was the first vehicle to the ship.

Dan
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dan40 - that is what I was saying....it is very transparent to the passengers. Because I have first hand knowledge is the only way that I even knew about it....we also had a passenger die from heart failure on that my wife and I took and I didn't even know about it until I went back to work. And other than the fact that the ship notifies the Terminal so that access can be given to the funeral home....I'm not sure if I would have known.
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:31 PM
DJB

According to the stat of average 2 deaths per cruise... I think we are safer flying...

lets say that there are 150 cruise ships in operation today ( I bet it is much higher).

Lets say... each ship sails for 7 days...

that would mean there are about 15,600 deaths per year on cruise ships...

Damn.... I am not leaving the house now.... I was scared to drive, scared to fly... now not safe cruising....

Yeah right... live life to the fullest is my motto

Old July 9th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Passenger

About a year ago an elderly gentleman took a header off the Lido deck onto the Empress Deck on the Ecstasy and died (of course). He was waving to his wife to join him in the buffet! Delayed boarding for hours.