Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:46 PM
First Mate

Default Sea Sickness??

I used to get sea sick as a child and my older daughter gets carsick. Do you recommend taking preventitive medicine just in case. If so, what do you recommend? Pills, bracelet, etc.???

Thanks,

Natalie

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Sea Sickness??

Seabands all the way. Also, drink ginger ale and remember to keep rolls or bagels in you. A little food is better than no food.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to NICKI61

natalie,
I use BONINE. I wouldn't sail without it. I used the bands on a whale watch and they didn't do much.
I did everything while taking bonine. I drank, I danced I did everything without a problem. $3.99 for 10 pills I think, I start taking one the day before the cruise. I am very confidant in taking bonine because in 2002 when we went on our 1st cruise I asked a pharmacist friend to point me in the right direction and if I needed to get a Dr. prescription for the best motion sickness pill. He handed me Bonine and said it had just come off of the need for a prescription and it is the best OTC pill they make. No drowsiness. So I tried them and they worked wonders. You pay too much to get sick even for 1/2 a day- so I take them and KNOW I won't be sick. Besides, there won't be any tan lines! lol

Nicki

Ruby Princess 11/08

HAL Westerdam 11/2007

NCL Dawn-2006

Carnival Destiny-2004

Carnival Spirit 2002
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Sea Sickness??

Nicki,

Do you know if my teenager could take them? Any side effects at all? You start the day before and take what one per day whether you need them or not??

Thanks,

Natalie

Old February 17th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Passenger

I used the Transdermscop ( patches behind ear) Worked great!! never felt sick at all!!! Hope you enjoy your cruise
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Yes, Bonine is once day. The advantage of Bonine over the patches is that Bonine doesn't cause drowsiness. Depends on how you feel about taking meds. I took the Bonie with me, but didn't come CLOSE to needing it......until we ran into the 30 foot seas, which is apparently very unusual.

The bands don't work for everyone, so take some back-up Bonine. I didn't like the idea of taking it if I didn't need it, but if you are worried enough you could always take it ahead of time like many people do and continue once a day for the entire cruise.
And yes, your daughter can take it, too. My son (13 yo) took it the 30 foot sea day with no ill effects.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:40 PM
FlyingFinn

I took Meclizine (aka Antivert) and I believe this is the same medication that is in Bonine. I took nothing the first year and was sick on the first formal night. Room steward brought me the meclizine and I took it for the rest of the cruise and was fine. Took it precautionary last year and never became sick and the swells were worse. My daughter had sea bands on and was very ill, but we thought it was more related to Norwalk as she had a good fever. Check the package but I thought it was approved for kids but I can't remember for sure. Good Luck!
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

There is a great article, somewhere about seasickness, I think it's on the Carnival site but cannot remember for sure. When I read it, I had to laugh because after all the advice on how to prevent it, it said that some people just worry themselves sick from the fear of being sick!
I thought then, that I would bring all the goodies I had bought for the cruise, Dramamine, bracelets, diet ginger ale and use them only if I started getting sea sick. Well, a lady told us that this was her 11th cruise and the sea had never been this rough. The elevators had a airsickness bags " Iguess in this case seasickness bags" at each elevator door.
We never got sick and I never thought the seas were that rough.
I won't say it's all in your mind but there might be some truth to that.
Natalietexas, I see a lot of posts from you, you must be getting excited??? When and which ship are you going on?

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Fighterone,

Sorry, you never give your name! I found these posts in November and posted a lot then. But then the trip seemed so far away and the info was repeated over and over again, so I lost interest. I didn't print out enough threads though, so now that it is only a little over 3 weeks away I am desperately trying to find all that good info.

We are sailing on the Elation out of Galveston on March 14. I cruised often as a kid and young adult. My husband and I took one cruise together, but it was 15 years ago. Our daughters 14.5 (she kind of cruised before!) and 11 have never cruised before.

The one piece I am missing--do you have kids--is solid info on Camp Carnival. I would love to get my hands on the kids capers to see what the 9 to 11 year old group and the 12 to 15 year old group does.

Where have you cruised? What's your favorite? What are your musts and avoids in cruising??

Thanks,

Natalie

Old February 17th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Bonine, Meclizine, antivert are all the same thing and work very well. Ginger also helps for those that are only mildly affected. As your daughter is prone to car sickness I would go ahead and take the Bonine on a regular basis to ensure she does not get sick. The ship is very stable but some of it is in the persons mind and they can and do get sick at the dock! Doesn't matter if it is tha actual motion or all in the mind, you still get sick so the Bonine is great to prevent this.
Jim

Old February 18th, 2004, 10:04 AM
First Mate

Hello,

I just cruised last week and a friend recommended BONINE. It was great! Take it about 2-4 hours before you cruise and you can take it once a day. I also gave it to my 9 year old and gave her 1/2 of the pill. Chewable raspberry flavor. Wouldn't leave without it!

Good Luck!
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:12 AM
racher

Where can you buy Bonine?I have checked 3 drug stores and cannot find it.Is it available in Canada?
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to FamilyCruise2004

I don't know about now, but Hubby got a little seasick, our 1st night out
on the Celebration, in 2000 & they sold Bonine in the gift shop.
Hope this helps.
Tracy
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Racher, I do not beleive you can find Bonnie in Canada but I use Graval which is the same thing and it has worked for me and my family. Any pharmacy shoudl carry it. We are from the east of canada. Enjoy your trip we leave in two dats.
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM
First Mate

We have always used the Patch. My teens even used them the two times they were along. They complained about dry mouth at first but were greatful later when the ship practically emptied out because of the turbulence caused by the Pacific. We were all still walking around - as best we could - and having a great time. The affects of the patch are heightened by alcohol so it's probably not the best thing for those who drink more than one or two drinks a night.
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Amy Hissong

I just have to say that you may not need anything at all for seasickness. Believe me, I am the most motion sickness-prone person I know. I get carsick all the time, can't ride most amusement rides, and a boat of any sort is bad news. I even get quasy bobbing up and down in the ocean on an inner tube, and I can't even watch some amusement rides go around. But somehow, I didn't have a lick of motion sickness when I cruised. We were even staying in a room at the very end of the ship, not in the middle like they suggest. I wore a patch the day I got on the ship, but it left me stoned, and I took it off within a couple hours. (Drowsy doesn't begin to describe what the patch did to me.) By all means, take some bonine, but don't be surprised if you simply don't need it. I think you'll be amazed at how smooth the ships run.
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Mel & Peggy

You do not have to buy Bonine. Go to the purser's desk and ask for Bonine. They will supply at no cost to you.
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:31 AM
First Mate

Go to your pharmacist and ask for it over the counter. It costs about $4.00. Also, on some ships they do charge for the meds.

Good Luck!

Kathie
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi, I am Fighterone on the boards. You are welcome to email me at home, at josette@jemenfous.com, if you would like. I am not the best person to speak with about cruising and Camp Carnival; no, we have no children. We only did this one cruise and a Windjammer in 78, although we have travelled quite a bit in or younger days. You can read my review and see some pictures on my website at www.nimodo.net.
You can also email me from there.
Josette

Norwegian Sea

Yankee Clipper Windjammer 1978
Celebration 01/04