Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
MelBCroozer

Default Holiday cruise review 2/23

I am finally getting my land legs back, so I can write my review. My DH, 2 daughters 14 & 11 and I were all ready for our cruise and started packing a few days before. The Saturday before we got a call from one of my daughter's friends that was on the Grandeur of the Seas and was suppose to leave on Saturday. She said there was a wreck on the river and their day in Cozumel was going to change and maybe we could meet up. Fianlly on Sunday we heard that we would leave from Mobile. The Carnival Rep said to get the NO terminal at 9. We got to the pier at about 9 with another family we knew. We stood in a line at first, then sent to some chairs and stacked our luggage. They someone came and took our luggage. Then we waited!!! They finally got all of the people who were to go on the Conquest out and they started to let the Holiday people check in. That took a while. Then back to the CHAIRS!! Fianlly, around 1 o'clock, we got in line for the bus. We left NO around 1:30. Bus ride wasn't bad and everyone stayed calm throughout the whole process. We got to Mobile around 4 and got off in a warehouse full of wood!! We were all happy to get on the ship.

We got to our cabin, U149. Very clean and typical cabin. Everything you needed and lots of storage. We ate and walked around the ship. Again, very clean and well kept. We smelled the Sewer Smell, but I think it has something to do with exhaust or fuel. It was only in the back of the ship when it was still. Our cabin was fine. It took a bit to get use to the smaller ship, since we just sailed the Conquest. It had everything we needed. Drinks and Food!! We had Open seating for dinner and went to see the show. Paul Stantley was the CD. Nice, happy guy. We finally left Mobile around 11:30.

Our day at sea was nice. Warmer weather and relaxing. Sat by the pool. Watched the games. Our friends participated. We played a trivia game in the afternoon, then got ready for the Formal Night. Went to the Capt.'s cocktail party before dinner. The dinner was very good!! The show that night was also good, eventhough I think I saw it on another ship.

The next morning, we got into Calica late because of strong head winds. Got off about 1 o'clock and went to Xcaret. Nice and warm!! We swam in the underground river. COLD at first, but you get used to it. Took about an hour to swim it. Then we sat by the lagoon, then walked through the park. We enjoyed it. My daughters like nature and animals and had a great time. we stayed for the nighttime show. It started off good, but got a little long for us. We snuck out about 15 min. early and caught the bus back to the boat and got something to eat. Not too much out at 8:30!! Went to bed early that night. I would recommend Xcaret!!

We got to Cozumel around 8am and it was beautiful!! Too windy for the snorklers, but we were just going to stay in town. We shopped and ate at Palmeras. Nice. Got back on the ship around 2 and laid around the pool in the SUN. Played another trivia came with Terrence. Well, this is where some people may have started to have problems. The seas got VERY ROUGH!! The ship was rockin' and rollin'. My family and I and the other family with us didn't get sick, but alot of people did!!! They had to reschedule the show for that night. We went to the past guest party and caught the tail end. Just got a couple of free drinks. They played some games that night instead of the show. My DH and one of my daughters got to play. Also, our friend played and won a ship on a stick!!!

The next day was better. We ate breakfast most mornings in the dining room. Good service and no waiting. The seas were calmer. We played a game in the library, then did the Galley tour. Packed a bit, then to dinner. It was my daughter's 15th, so she got a cake and the singing!! The show that night was good and the lounge was never very crowded. Compared to the Conquest where you had to get there early to get a seat. We finished packing and called it a night.

The next morning went smoothly. Started calling people around 9, we got off closer to 10. The long wait was the carline. We waited for our husbands for over an hour!! That needs a little work. I liked when we could park next to the ship.

Overall, it was a good cruise. The price was right and it was a great winter and school get away. The ship was in great shape and is perfect for a short cruise. It may be a bit to shaky for some people, but I heard that people on the Conquest were sick too from the waves. I think it is the time of year. The Conquest last year in calm seas was fine. If anyone has any questions, I'll be gald to answer them. Looking forward to our next cruise. I think a cruise is the best kind of vacation for a family!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to FamilyCruise2004
Default Re: Holiday cruise review 2/23

What kind of cabin did you have? Did you book a guarantee?
Anymore info you have will be greatly appreciated!
We will be sailing on the Holiday, May 8th.
Thanks in advance!
Tracy
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:11 AM
b12

We sailed on the Holiday 2/14/04 cruise from NO and thoroughly enjoyed it! MelB is correct on Xcaret; it's a must do! It was our first cruise, so there's nothing to compare it to. Paul Santley (CD) is hilarious! Good food, always something to do, and friendly crew. Price was right, too.
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:40 AM
MelBCroozer

Default Re: Re: Holiday cruise review 2/23

We booked a 4A cabin and got upgraded to 4C. It is an easy ship to get around and for the price is a great bargin. I think some people expect a glitzy cruise ship. It's not. But it's still a good time and the dining room had good meals and nice service. Hope you enjoy your cruise.
Old March 6th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to FamilyCruise2004

Hi Mel, Thanks for the info!
How was the food outside the dining room?
We are casual buffeter's
Also, how was the pizza?
Are there, lots of low-fat, or low-sugar otions?
TIA!
Tracy
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:45 AM
MelBCroozer

Default Re: Re: Holiday cruise review 2/23

The pizza was great. My daughters think it is the best. It is always the same on every ship. I think the buffet was OK. The meat carving was always good, but some of the other selections were a bit off. I think they try to be too exotic. We got spoiled on the Conquest with the Chinese food. We never went hungry, mind you, but I usually had to try a few things at lunch to find what I liked. They did have a diet dessert and fat free frozen yogurt. Also, fresh fruit.