Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Fascination - 3/29

Default tanning beds - base tan - before cruise

Do most people get a base tan at a tanning spa prior to cruing the caribbean? I know tanning beds aren't the safest things around. But if a base tan helps reduce the chance of getting sunburned on the cruise then it is actually a safer way to go.
White as a ghost in Chicago,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Default Re: tanning beds - base tan - before cruise

Before I went on the Navigator in Nov. I went to the tanning beds 5 or 6 times to bulid up a base. Others on my cruise were not as prepared, judging by the red and white burn lines I saw peeking out of everyone's dresses on formal night. I never burned while on the cruise, and had a great tan by the end using oil and an SPF 15 on my face and shoulders. I highly reccomend using the tanning salon before the cruise even if you're not a big fan (like me).
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: tanning beds - base tan - before cruise

Hi! I always go to the tanning bed about a month before my cruise leaves. Not only do I want to have a base tan so I won't get burned, but I also hate looking like a ghost when I put my bathing suit on for the first time in the season!
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Scott

I start going to the tanning bed about a month before I leave. I'm very light skinned and burn easily. I also use a high SPF while on vacation and so far I haven't gotten burned.

Darcy
Old March 12th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Passenger

I used a tanning bed about 10 times before we cruised and I thought I had a base but I still burned on the beach. The sun just seems alot hotter than up here in Canada.Don't forget your sunscreen even if you have a base tan.
Old March 12th, 2004, 03:20 PM
mkend

I went for the first time two weeks ago to a tanning bed and it freaked me out, I didn't like it, but I kept going back and now it's o.k. I will be on the Glory on 4-17 so I hope I will have a bse tan by then. I didn't like being closed up.
Old March 12th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am a girl from Philly that burns every time I head to warm weather too and I am attempting one month of the tanning beds before I cruise to Bermuda to help prevent a ruined trip. I am not thrilled with the idea of tanning like that but I would rather use the beds than get sun poisoning.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:16 AM
MichelleJed

you dont have to use the beds, they have hex to stand in also.
have a wonderful cruise!
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Sweetcharlotte30

I went and got a base tan and so glad i did! I ended up burning a bit (esp. on my scalp where my hairline and forehead meet, I have a high forehead and they don't make sunscreen for scalps, ) I think I may have blistered if i didn't get somewhat of a base tan. Sometimes the too many margarita's impair your sun exposeure judgement. Don't drink and sun bathe! Blistering is way worse for your skin that a few sessions in the tanning bed. Yes I did apply sun screen, but after a few margarita's in the Mexican Riviera you sometimes forget to put more on!

Post Edited (03-13-04 20:35)
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:48 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Sara754

Also if you dont think the tanning beds are safe, you can get a mystic tan.. i get them every time i cruise now

Carnival Destiny 2004
Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas 2005
Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas 2006
Crown Princess 2007
Carnival Valor 2009

Carnival Freedom June 2011!
Old March 14th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Gal1974 Send a message via MSN to Gal1974

The Mystic Tans you have to be careful with, some people they turn orange and it does not look natural.

If your local tanning salon has a bronzer bed, try to get into it a few times first. I am very fair. Start out slow if you burn easily and figure out what works best for you.

Carnival Celebration for my 30th birthday!!!!
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:19 PM
FlyingFinn

I have been tanning since January to cruise next week! I live in MN and don't see alot of sun here (even in the summer I tend to stay away from sun). But when I cruise I do like to be out at the pool or on the beach so I tan to prevent burning and get a little head start

What are bronzing beds? Never heard of those....
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:19 AM
bonnie corns

Always get a good base tan before I cruise or go to an all-inclusive. Then don't have to worry about being burnt while on vacation.

Started tanning a month ago with 7 weeks to go.

I know, I know, I like to make sure I am well tanned before I go and this time I will be.
Usually only start 2 months before.

Definitely I recommend the beds before vacation. Wouldn't use them normally.

Have a great trip
Old March 15th, 2004, 07:44 PM
jamiegunter

Bronzing beds have uva, not much uvb rays. THey are a high pressure tanning bed.
You dont really want to start in one though, because your skin needs some uvb to get jump started. If you go at least 4 or 5 times, then you could do that one after that.

You can also do the airbrush tan. It is applied by a person, and the color is very natural looking. Lasts about 4 to 5 days pretty good.(I used to work in a tanning salon)

Good luck, we leave in April on a cruise and I have been tanning for two weeks.
Old March 15th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Clay B

I am a male and do the tanning beds for about 10 sessions before I cruise. My skin is fair so I need a little help. It really helped this time. I still used SPF15 and I never burned! But don't forget about the noggin. I use a cap but still but some on that bald spot.
Can't wait till the next one, Oct. 3, 2004!
Old October 20th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Beginner

If you decide to undergo on tanning before cruise just apply a tanning product that is right for your skin. Only use products specifically designed for indoor tanning. Use protective eye wear provided by the salon. You may need to purchase goggles or winkies usually available in the salon, to protect your eyes. Keep your first tanning session to no longer than 6 to 10 minutes in a 20-minute bed. If the bed is very strong, tanning technicians may recommend you tan for even less time. Apply an unscented, hydrating body lotion or cream, after tanning which may prevent peeling and prolong your tan. Regularly check your skin for changes in the appearances of beauty marks, freckles or moles. Stop tanning and see a dermatologist if you notice any changes.
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

My husband is very fair skinned and he didn't tan before we went several years back and he got burnt up and was miserable. This last cruise we both started going a month before the cruise to tan. The only thing I would suggest is take it slow. Start at like 5-6 minutes and do that for a week. You will think you aren't getting anything, but you really need to slowly work into it or you will get burnt in the tanning bed. My husband went for a month and he never got over 12 minutes. Just a thought Happy cruising Even if you decide not to tan, one thing I have noticed is there is ALWAYS someone whiter and someone bigger than you on the cruise, so no worries

Holiday 2002
Conquest 2004
Sensation 2008
Splendor 2009
Elation 2010
Truimph 2011
Conquest 2012
Elation 2012
Elation 2012 (B2B)
Conquest 2013
Sunshine 2014
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Captain

Agree with you 100%. I generally don't like to go to tanning salons either, but this is the only time I go to them...Before a cruise. I am going again this evening actually.

We just came out of summer so I have my "Farmer Tan" (, but I'm not a farmer ) I too until a week ago was as white as a ghost except my arms from wearing T-Shirts all the time. But if I go to a pool or beach and decide to pull off my shirt, this is going to look really dumb

I also find if I have this "Base" tan that I am much less likely to burn.

I live not to far to the North West of you in Manitoba, Canada. They are forecasting snow here next week, I can't wait to get outta here for a couple weeks!

Krunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascination - 3/29 View Post
Do most people get a base tan at a tanning spa prior to cruing the caribbean? I know tanning beds aren't the safest things around. But if a base tan helps reduce the chance of getting sunburned on the cruise then it is actually a safer way to go.
White as a ghost in Chicago,
Scott
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Wow - I'm amazed to see a thread revived after 6+ years.

Tanning in North America whether in the backyard or at a tanning salon does not prepare you for the Caribbean sun. Use lotion on your cruise whether you have pre-tanned or not.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ginnyanne Send a message via Yahoo to ginnyanne

I usually get a base tan too, but I still apply sunscreen about every hour if I've been in the water. I have gotten the crap roasted out of me one too may times.
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Beginner

As an additional Tanning Beds are often seen as better alternatives to traditional tanning, and it is easy to see why. Tanning under the sun exposes you to greater risks of developing skin allergies, premature aging, and even skin cancer. Tanning beds, on the other hand, provide ‘controlled' environments that not only make tanning a lot safer, but also a lot faster and much more efficient.
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:10 AM
david30101

Where I live, it stays warm enougth through Nov so i can keep a tan going. Im taking a cruise on Nov 20th. So I lay out in sun for 2 days 2 hours each per week as long as the temp is over 60 and sunny and not to windy. Luckly I get dark quick and can stay that way for several weeks as long as I lay out about 2 hours a week.
I dont do tanning beds.
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Welcome Newcomer

The only time I ever go to a tanning bed is the week before a cruise. It has now become part of my "cruise count down" ritual that gets me even more excited for vacation. Plus the base tan helps not to burn...enjoy your cruise!
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Interesting subject, I was expecting to see that with time people have seen these things are now regarded as dangerous, didn't think they still existed.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Captain

Lots of tanning beds still around jon. You can also still buy cigarettes and beer too !

Seriously, we got back mid November from 9 days on Spirit, Mexican Rivera, our 5th cruise, and I was in the tanning bed before that cruise. I find it really helps as I am fairly light skinned. I find I burn less easily after tanning in a bed, and I wear sunblock when on a cruise and in the sun a lot.

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old December 23rd, 2011, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunch View Post
Lots of tanning beds still around jon. You can also still buy cigarettes and beer too !
Krunch
People buy Cigarettes because they are addicted, I wasn't aware beer was particularly harmful, sunbeds however give people skin cancer just because they want to appear tanned, not sure they exist in the UK anymore, spray tan does though.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tanning beds and bad skin

Unbelievable!!!
I had a friend and a niece who both thought they just couldn't go out in the summer unless they kept a tan by using a tanning bed. They are in their mid-40's now and their skin looks like leather. The skin cancer thing remains to be seen. Yeah! I know! Mind my own business. It's your skin.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
Admiral

You can also take it the other way too, we used to go the Caribbean every year, one friend used to be so paranoid about the sun she used factor ''who knows what'' & went home as white as the came.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
Admiral

JMO, but coming home "pale" is not a problem for me!

I baked myself at the pool, coated in babyoil all day long, for too many years . I'm very happy that (so far) I haven't had any skin cancer's. I'm not about to take any chances at this point! I'm staying away from tanning bed's and the sun. SPF 30 is my friend .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Familiar Face

My daughter and I always go to a tanning studio and get a base tan before any island vacations. We are both fairly dark skinned and very very seldom burn. Last year on our cruise we got burnt badly even though we had a good base tan and were using 30 SPF sunscreen. I found 50 SPF in the second port (for about 3x the cost of getting it here) and we used it the rest of the cruise. So just because you have a base tan, don't think you can't burn - you should still be prepared with a high SPF sunscreen.