Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:30 PM
jnpfamily

Default Dress for Dinner

We are a family of 4 with 2 boys 10 and 13, i was wondering if they would be ok for them wear nice shorts with a nice shirt to dinner on the non formal nights?
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Dress for Dinner

Absoultely not. Carnival's dress code clearly states no shorts in the dining room area durning dinner. It makes no exception for children, old men, beautifull women, nor anyone else.
Old March 16th, 2004, 01:58 PM
First Mate

WOW!! "Absolutely not" sounds pretty severe to me. Unless things have changed a lot in the three years since we were on Inspiration I don't think that there would be a problem. There were no clothing police on our cruise and there were children in shorts at dinner and even on formal nights lots of folks were in pants and shirt at best.
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Admiral

The answer is no. These kids are too old to wear shorts. Now an infant or toddler is fine but kids that age require pants to dine in the main dining room.
Jim

Old March 16th, 2004, 06:13 PM
First Mate

Just got back from Carnival Imagination. Most of the boys in that age group wore chinos, or other nice pants, and nice shirts to dinner, even on formal night. However, there were a few kids, and adults, in shorts, even though the guidelines said no shorts at night. The night before formal night they announced that men had to wear long pants on formal night. Many people changed back into casual clothes after dinner, so they probably could wear the same things several nights.
Bobbie
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:28 PM
JULIER

Do the teenagers get away with khakis and a button down shirt?
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:45 PM
seana

Default Re: Re: Dress for Dinner

I have always herd that some men will wear shorts to dinner, and nothing will be said. I guess you have to make that decision for yourself.
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Admiral

In most cases the diner will be stopped at the door and he will be requested to return to his cabin and change into more approprate attire. Some Maitre 'D's are a little reluctant to do so because of the old saying 'the customer is always right' but I stand behind them 100% in demanding that people wear approprate dress. It plainly states that shorts are not allowed in the dining room during the evening meals and just like the signs on land restaurants that state 'no shirt, no shoes, no service', or 'jackets & ties required' one should conform to this request.
Jim

Old March 16th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Captain

We looked at the fine dinning as an experience we seldom can afford on land...
We had a table of 6, mostly retired age as we are....
We were all dressed up, even on non-formal we dressed up more than normal...
When you have the waiter lay the knapkin in your lap don't you think nice pants would be more fitting? ... Try to understand that others around you Want to dress up & have a fine dinning experience... We never missed an evening.... Loved the Quail & Duck...... If you want to be dressed down then go to the buffets where you will be more comfortable...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't forget that for cruisers who are unwilling or unable to dress up, more casual dining options are also available.
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to FamilyCruise2004

So, could you clear this up for me, on toddlers.
We have a son, who will be 2 & 1/2, when we
cruise. We don't even dress him in formal
or semi-formal wear, for church. What speci-
fically, is acceptable, for small children, in the
formal dining room? My husband & I don't have
any problem, with our attire.
Thanks in Advance!
Tracy
Old March 17th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Dress for Dinner

Tracy, the 2 1/2 year old is fine wearing shorts. That is a toddler. Basically anywhere from school age on up the kids should wear long pants.
Jim

Old March 17th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Burgh

Dinner in the formal dining is pants....no shorts allowed.
Old March 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM
First Mate

Last cruise I went on a couple in their mid 30's went to formal night dress in t-shirts, wranglers and cowboy boots. They were allowed to eat like this, much to the dismay of the other diners. If passengers don't want to dress properly for dinner then by all means, wear shorts but eat on the lido deck instead. My two children were 13 and 15 and my son wore a tux on formal night (the 13 year old) ,and my daughter wore an evening gown. After dinner they had the option of changing or staying dress for the rest of the night but they had NO CHOICE as to formal dinner. I had no complaints and the pictures are incredible.

Old March 19th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Sharron

I'm sorry all, but I just don't understand the big deal with the dress standard. Sure Carnival askes you to dress up (AKA no shorts) but if people decide to dress a little less fancy by wearing shorts and a blouse, or (for men) a casual dress shirt and shorts...who cares? If Carnival allows it (and it seems that they do) then why do anybody else feel it's their need to be concerned. I really don't get it! If i am wearing a dress and the people sitting to the left of me are wearing shorts, I am truely unconcerned.
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Magoo

I have to agree with the other people that formal means formal or at the very least dressed up. my wife and i enjoye the formal nights and always dress for dinner. I know that when we take our daughters in July that for formal dinner they will be in there very best dresses. Just because the dinning staff will still feed you doesnt mean that it doesnt bother other people who do enjoy the atmosphere of formal nights.

img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=07&year=2004&day=01&hour=16:00[/img] sensation
img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=02&year=2005&day=20&hour=16:00[/img] valor
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Eve

When will you being going on the cruise jnpfamily?

Eve
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Familiar Face

I am beginning to think that cruising might not be for me. If people are getting so worked up over the clothes I am wearing (I was brought up believing that "clothes don't make the man) - then what the heck are they going to be like in person??

I am taking a dress for formal night. That is a huge concession from me since I live my entire life from sunup to sundown 7 days a week in jeans and a t-shirt. Oh, and usually I am riding my Harley to work also. Or out to the mall. Or maybe even to church.

But, trust me, I will not be the one looking down my nose at you no matter what you wear. I want to have a conversation with you about your life because I am interested in you as a person and not a fashion consultant, and I don't care if you are wearing a ball gown or shorts and a tank top.

My sincere hope is that people on board the ship are not as "snooty and uppitiy" as they are in here. If so, maybe they should cruise on a "Fashion Police" cruise.

I'm not going on a cruise to show off my clothing to anyone. I am going for a vacation where I don't have to drive. That is the sole reason. I am not going on this cruise to make any of you "feel better" because I am dressed right. If all you have to worry about is my clothing, then you are the person who had better get a life. Not me, because I have one and the way that I am dressed is so very trivial in the much bigger picture of "real life".
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Three thoughts.

1. Wanting to have just one or two meals in an elegant, formal environment most certainly doesn't make anyone "snooty" or "uppity."

2. Every other location and time on the ship other than the one or two formal dinners is casual.

3. Diners who don't wish to dress up have alternate dining options.

So, there's really not anything to worry about.
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Capt699

It seems to me that part of the problem is some people don't care what the rules are they are going to do whatever they want. It is not the idea of being uppity or snooty,it is part of the cruie adventire. I'm sure there are few people that do not know there are two formal nights when they sign for a cruise,most all cruise lines do this. So why do people complain when they are expected to dress up. The best way to get around dressing for dinner is to go on a line like NCL or some of the Princess ships that have free style dining. They don't have formal nights.
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Admiral

I always wonder if the folks who think there should be NO dress policy adhere to that in their daily lives?

Do you wear your gardening shoes, tank top and cut offs to a funeral?

Will you wear jeans, t-shirt and sandals to your son's college graduation?

Sounds like some folks live a totally casual life and that's fine, but there are occasions where you DON'T wear ultra casual clothes.

Cruiselines are pretty clear - at formal night is one of them. Adhering to the dress policy of Carnival isn't "snooty" - it's just following one of their many policies. If you find yourself not agreeing with the policies, maybe cruising *isn't* for you.

Remember, there is always alternate dining. Enjoy sitting on the Lido Deck (outside even) in your shorts and t-shirts on formal night.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 20th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Ok folks, let me give you the real deal with Carnival's dress code for dinner, as I have been on quite a few Carnival cruises over the past several years.

On non-formal nights, you will see shorts in the dining room, and no one will be turned away. The shorts I've seen have always been very neat and clean and most men wear polo type shirts with them. Didn't bother me at all. I never wore shorts to dinner, but those that did were nice people and I was in no way going to allow something as trivial as someone's dress detract from my enoyment of my cruise.

On formal nights, I've seen a few shorts, but not that many. Those very few with shorts on formal nights were never turned away. Also, just as many businesses no longer require men to wear ties to work, I am seeing a trend on Carnival over the past few years with more and more men (especially those 35 and under), not wearing ties on formal night.

Carnival is very lax with dress codes. There are so many other lines out there that are more stringent in their so called rule of dress. I would suggest those that get so worked up over this issue sail a non-Carnival line.

Peace.