CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   extra tipping etiquette (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/195750-extra-tipping-etiquette.html)

jennifervail March 23rd, 2004 04:04 PM

extra tipping etiquette

Hi all!

In preparing my cruise budget, I want to be 100% sure to allot extra tips to those who deserve them. (In addition to the tips included in our account automatically, of course!)

I know that Carnival still distributes the traditional money packet for distribution to the cabin steward, maitre'd, etc. if desired

1) how many of these extra packets does one receive?

2) is it proper to simply leave the tip in the room with a nice thank you note attached, or is it better to hand it to whomever? I don't want to embarrass anyone by handing them a tip envelope if that's not proper etiquette.

Just silly little pedantic questions...

SandyW March 23rd, 2004 04:21 PM

Re: extra tipping etiquette

The only envelopes we've received the past year are for the Maitre'd....so on the last cruise we specifically requested extra envelopes from our cabin steward. We usually try to talk to our cabin steward throughout our visit...so we prefer to hand them the extra money (in the envelope) although I have left it on the vanity before dinner that last night as well.

After we finish our dinner that final night we say our good byes to our wait staff...it's at that time we hand them their envelopes.

We usually give the Maitre'd his when we arrive for dinner. One cruise I thought the assistant Maitre'd did a better job than the Maitre'd. I didn't feel like I could totally ignore the Maitre'd....so we gave him a minimal amount...but I also gave the assistant an envelope and expressed our gratitude for his services. He was a tad surprised.

The amount that you give in my opinion is a personal thing...and of course depends too on how much you can budget. I usually take along the highest amount we can give. I take it in differing bills so if the service wasn't as good as we hoped I can reduce the amount appropriately. If the service was as good as it should be....then I just transfer the money to the Carnival envelope and put the persons first name on it.

It will be interesting to see if there is proper "etiquette" for your question.

TexCroozer March 23rd, 2004 04:25 PM

Well .....Lah Dee Dah!

jennifervail March 23rd, 2004 04:33 PM

Re: Re: extra tipping etiquette

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as elitist...sorry if I offended anyone.

Buzz March 23rd, 2004 04:36 PM

I would recommend leaving the tip on your sign and sail account to avoid any confusion (Carnival now (or at least has on all my recent cruises) automatically adds it to your bill unless you remove it manually at the pursers desk).

Easiest way - then if the service is exception - cash in hand is ALWAYS a great plus to them!!!!

I always tip my Steward $20-25 when I first meet him and let him know that I intend to also leave the other tip in place. This truly motivates EXCEPTIONAL service.

SandyW March 23rd, 2004 04:59 PM

Jennifer...you didn't come off as anything but having a valid question or two....I'm wondering if TexCrooz found something in what I wrote to cause his/her reaction.
I too appologize if that is the case.

The way we do things is how we've done it since cruise one...but now it's not the full amount in the envelopes just the extra we want to give. Like you we leave the "regular" portion charged to the S&S card.

Oh...and if I made it sound like we do something "great"...it's not....I really wish we could do more.

Mari March 23rd, 2004 05:25 PM

Re: Re: extra tipping etiquette

I'be heard stories of people taking back all tip monies from their s and s card. Could this really happen?

Bob M March 23rd, 2004 07:03 PM

TexCrooz ,
Why don't you respond to those that have left really good comments on tipping...
I thought the subject was handled in a good way...
You always have those who want to stir things up....

We always handle the extra tipping above the regular amount in a personal way... We give it personally to each one for their great service....

SAAdds1 March 23rd, 2004 08:59 PM

I'm curious as to how much one would tip, in addition to the tips that are automatically added onto your credit card. I'm wondering if we under-tipped.

SandyW March 23rd, 2004 09:15 PM

Mari...Carnival has left it so that you can go and have the automatic tip removed from your sail and sign card...it's true.

What disturbed us before this practice began were the tables that would be full all week long...sending the wait staff here and there and then would be conspicuously empty on tip night. It amazes me that people have the nerve to do things like that.

Post Edited (03-23-04 21:22)

3FOB5Paradise March 23rd, 2004 09:25 PM

It is customary to hand deliver extra tips...otherwise you cannot be sure that they make it.
If you cannot locate your cabin steward, then you can probably leave it but I'd always deliver by hand any other tips.
We always have the envelopes given to us for all the people automatically.
Some peope remove the S&S tip because they're cheap. Others remove it because they want to hand deliver everything.

JoeMo March 23rd, 2004 10:51 PM

extra tipping etiquette

I don't know the PROPER way to do it, but we always hand deliver
tips at the end of the cruise. (in addition to the auto-tips).
We generally give at least $5, but have gone over $50 on occasion.
One couple we traveled with recently tipped the Room Dude $100,
but that is way over my budget.
The Room Dude is not hard to find, just look outside your cabin door
the last evening of the cruise.

JOEMO