Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:20 PM
Passenger

Default Question Re: alcohol

I will be taking my first cruise in May, and I've been told several different stories about bringing liquor on board the ship. Has anyone ever brought it to drink in their rooms (how about outside their rooms)? Is this normal, or should I take an extra hundred doallrs for casual drinking?
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Question Re: alcohol

Can I Bring Liquor On Board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board.

Fine wine or champagne may be brought on board during embarkation only. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the Dining room for consumption, a $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged to the guest; otherwise, the guest may only drink the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of a stateroom. The wine and/or champagne may NOT be brought into any other public lounge or area.

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or the embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ship Gift Shops

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board -

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop Staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

©Carnival Cruise Lines 2004. All rights reserved.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:37 PM
pattijoe

I'm not sure what you mean by casual drinking and depending on how long your cruise is, $100.00 won't go very far. Drinks of the day were $6.25, domestic beer $3.25 and mixed drinks were around $5.95. An automatic gratuitidy gets added to every drink order you place.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 05:30 PM
Yeoman

$100.00 would last our group about one day. Er..one afternoon. Err..one hour. Er...one round.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Admiral

The $6 drinks of the day are the ones in the big glasses - you can order a "regular" drink of the day for $2.95. Very reasonable.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:27 PM
ready2go

We took our own Vodka in Aquafina bottles in our suitcase which saved us some money . However I am more of a beer drinker and everyone is right money doesn't go far with your bar bill. One night we spent $110....of course we dranks lots and didn't get to our room until 2am. But even during the day...the sun is hot and they are out in full force trying to sell you the "drink of the day"
Old April 4th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Kellie

Default Re: Re: Question Re: alcohol

What's an aquafina bottle? Just a water bottle? Couldn't you just put alcohol bottles in your packed luggage?
Old April 4th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Yeoman

Kellie - read the above post that jedgar provided directly from Carnival:

"Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board".

You can try packing those bottles in your checked luggage , but if it's discovered, your liquor bottles will be confiscated. That's why ready2go put vodka in an Aquafina water bottle.
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:38 PM
kellie

Are checked bags opened up by Carnival workers? I
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Question Re: alcohol

We boarded for the Destiny in San Juan, and there was a Bacardi rum shop right outside the entrance. They convinced us it was okay to bring a bottle aboard, they even guaranteed that we would not be stopped as long as it was in our carry-on. We sailed right on through at check-in (in fact, nobody even opened our bags), and let me tell you, that raspberry rum makes some tasty cocktails!
Cheers,
MaryC
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Fill up a water bottle, or 20 oz soft drink bottle with rum. We make a pretty decent Mai Tai using the fruit punch and lemon-ade from the buffett and mixing it with our own rum.
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:38 PM
bill123

we brought our crown onboard in a listerine bottle same color no question asked clear liquor in a water bottle works wonderful mix your own in your room much more economical.
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Dan the man

If you are going to take alcohol in with you, why not just pack it in packed bags? Why would you go to the trouble of emptying listerine bottles? Am I missing something?
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Yeoman

Because packed bags can be opened if anything "fishy" shows up on the scanner. I've seen it happen, and I saw three bottles of Chivas Regal confiscated from a very unhappy passenger, but he was also reminded about the "no alcohol" policy. I ...I mean my best friend....always uses plastic bottles.
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Passenger

Just got back from Triumph last weekend. Bubblewrap and ziplocks, checked luggage. Even then - bring LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of money and even buy the coupons if you like spendier drinks or foo-foo drinks. We had a few drinks in our cabin but mostly used our coupons (pre-bought from Carnival website). But be careful how you use them and make sure it is worth your while.

Carnival Triumph

Disney Wonder - 2002
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:23 PM
TT

tadpole71.. are you saying you got busted?
I read about the coupons.. where you get 4 for like 19.50. You can buy ANY bar drink with those? Of course I would use them on the $5.00 or more drinks.. but just checking. It may be worth my while to purchase those. I like Hummingbirds & Pina Colodas to name a few.
Thanks!
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:32 AM
ginajensen

My groups always put all the alcohol in their checked luggage. Where the airlines only let you take 2 pieces of luggage, Carnival will let you have more. Often in our groups, there are many people who only need one piece for their personal belongings so we load up empty suitcases with alcohol to include cases of beer, mixers, hard liquor, and soda. (although I easily carried on water and soda on the Pride a few weeks ago). For those who are not particular about their wine, I have also had friends check boxes of wine. We buy the liquor that comes in the plastic bottles for cruises. This can pose a problem for some as the best Vodka I could buy in our state that came in a plastic bottle was Smirnoffs, however Smirnoffs is not a bad vodka, it just depends on one's personal preference. My sister likes Captain Morgan's Rum and I asked our liquor store if they could get it in plastic before our cruise and they did- so we were able to take that as well. The beer and pop etc we did not buy until we arrived in the port city so as not to have it explode or weigh to much in our suitcases. We also had locks on our suitcases-a Carnival suggestion. We realize that we are taking a risk that it could be taken away however we feel that it is worth the risk. The alcohol that we bring on board does not take away from the money that Carnival would make off us as we only drink it in our rooms while we are getting ready to go to dinner etc and would not go out of our way to go buy a drink from Carnival to bring back to our rooms nor would we have room service bring us any, so we have never felt guilty for bringing it with us. Bottom line-It is worth a try if you are willing to risk it being taken away.

Gina