Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2004, 01:13 AM
Tamster

Default Surprising someone with the gift of a cruise

Anyone have any good stories of how you surprised someone by giving them a gift of a cruise? I came up with a cute way and thought I would share to give some people some ideas.

I'm 21 and my bf is 22, we just celebrated our 2 year anniversary and for our anniversary I gave him the great gift of a cruise for the 2 of us. He took me to dinner and from there I blindfolded him and drove his car to a nearby beach (we live on lake Erie) there is one spot that has a waterfall. I parked the car and took his had and guided him down a flight of stairs that ends on a small concreate platform. I layed a blanket down, took a tap light (candles would have blown out) 2 champaign glasses and my walkman that had mini speakers playing Ella Fitzgerald's "Isn't it romantic" I took the blindfold off and presented him is gift. The way I "wrapped" the card that said we were going on a cruise was, I put it in a blue bottle with a cork (got it at a craft store) and placed it inside a childs sand buket filled with sand. On top of the sand was an assortment of seashells that were also placed thruout the sand. also a wooden palm tree and sail boat that I hand painted. He had to dig thru the sand and find the seashells. on each seashell I had pained a letter and color coded them (Blue letters, orange letters and so on) The blue letters spelled out ARUBA the orange BARBADOS so he then had to unscramble them. at the very bottom of the bucket I had a seashell that had the map of the itenerary that I cut from the carnival book and glued on the shell. I helped him with the unscrabling and also sifting thru the sand. I figured this was a very original way to present a gift of a cruise other than in an envalope.

also, with the hand painted palm tree, I painted one for myself as well, I'm going to go to Michaels and get a wooden craft picture from, glue the palm tree to it and put a picture of us from the cruise.

Sorry this was such a long post, I would love to hear other stories
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2004, 01:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Surprising someone with the gift of a cruise

This was so romantic...
we bet you bf can't wait for the romance on the cruise!

May you have smooth seas & an abundance of sunshine!

22 Princess Cruises to date, with 50 cruises on all cruise lines starting in 12/2000
Old April 21st, 2004, 06:22 AM
First Mate

How wonderful. That was very clever of you. What was your BF's reaction to the whole thing. I sure hope you both enjoy your cruise very much. Good sailing.
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:05 AM
venice

wow, that shows romance is alive and well..love comes in various forms. in 1990 I was going thru a nasty divorce and at the same time was set to undergo a major back operation. My best friend, who is female, knew that I was very scared about the back operation and was in deep depression about the divorce. I was also on 5 hydrocodine pills a day, so needless to say, I was in pain, but not in pain if you know what I mean. My friend knew that I used a particular travel agent (who is a good friend of both of us) to book my cruises and she called her up and explained what was going on and between the two of them they arranged for my friend and I to go on a cruise and charge my AX card (they had it on file). My friend secretly packed my bags and announced on friday that we were going on a "short" trip to Miami so I could "rest" before my back operation 8 days later. Needless to say I was surprise to find out when we arrived in Miami that we were going on a cruise, I had to fax my approval for my AX card to my travel agent and although I don't remember much about the cruise, I am told I had a great time. Came back relaxed, had a successful back operation, got thru the divorce and my friend and I are still close 14 years later. Hmmmm I think I owe her a cruise because she is now going thru a divorce
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:39 AM
AshleyP

My husband surprised me with our first cruise. It was my birthday, and he told me to pack a small bag with clothes for dinner, dancing and the beach. We headed down to Galveston,stopping for lunch at Fisherman's Wharf, which overlooks the cruise terminal. As we were eating, we talked about how neat it was that a ship was in port and what it might be like to cruise. As we left the restaurant, DH asked if I thought they sold tickets at the pier. He said we should just go and buy what we needed, being spontaneous. I kind of laughed and said I did not think it was like getting to a movie at the last minute, that I was sure you could NOT buy tickets at the pier. He smiled and said, "Maybe they will take the ones I have in my bag!" I was so excited!! Come to find out, he'd cleared our work schedules, packed my bags and snuck them into the trunk. It was an amazing getaway, although some of his clothing options were not exactly what I would have taken!
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:23 AM
Tamster

haha, Ashley, you can never trust a guy to pack your bags (unless hes a metrosexual) Those are great stories! I love surprises and reading diffrent ways people got surprised
Old April 21st, 2004, 02:35 PM
Passenger

DW and I surprised the kids by hiding a series of clues
throughout the house. Each clue would lead them to the
next clue until they eventually were led to the Carnival Cruise
brochure and told what page to turn to.

Fascination 3/29/2004
Old April 21st, 2004, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Wow those are great ideas and very thoughtful of all you .Ill have to remeber them for the next cruise because this one is already booked

Hope you all have a great time on your next vacations...............................

Old April 21st, 2004, 11:52 PM
Passenger

I loved reading these stories. I am in the same position. I need to figure out a great way to surprise my in laws with their first ever surprise cruise to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. Any ideas??? Wrapping the docs seems so boring now!!!!!

Happy Cruizin'
Linda

Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:35 AM
First Mate

I did this twice. Last year in March. Both my teens are born in March and so this was their gift. I printed up a picture of the ship and stuck it each one's birthday card and gave it to them early. They was like why we got this picure and they didn't believe me until I got the docs in and showed them.
Then in August, I called my sister (who has never been out of Louisiana except to biloxi a couple of times) and asked her what she wanted for her birthday. She said "it don't matter, anything". I said you sure it don't matter and she said no. So I hung up, called Carnival, booked a cruise and then called her back and said "you need to call your boss for 5 days off in August" She was like why and when I told her she like to take my ear off screaming so loud. After all these months, we don't have one conversation where we don't talk about that cruise we spent together.
Cruise I am leaving in a couple of days is my anniversary gift from my hubby.

Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:24 PM
Passenger

I want someone to surprise me . . . . .
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Surprising someone with the gift of a cruise

awwww that was sooo romantic, my hubby surprised me on our last week cruise with a dozen roses waiting for me in our cabin. We just came back from the sensation.

our cruise pics link:
http://www.members.aol.com/chelita0305/page3.html