Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:52 PM
cruisebaby1

Default Hurricane season

Hi and Happy Mothers Day to "Cruisemates". I am fairly new to the boards and need to ask a question regarding Hurricane Season. Prices are great at that time and I am itching to cruise again. Got off the Carnival Legend in March and had a great time. My husband is leery about booking during the "H" Season so any input on whether your cruise was cancelled or just redirected etc., would be helpful in my convincing him its time to go again. We have only been on 2 cruises (Carnival both times) and always in early spring. Thanks. All the advice I have read on these boards is absolutely wonderful. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help out us newbies....
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Hurricane season

We booked the last of September last year and that was the biggest hurricaine time of the year. We lucked out and had beautiful weather, though. If a storm crops up, the ship will take and alternate route to avoid the monster. Rest assured, they keep in touch with those things. I don't know where you are from, but, early in the season the storms tend to develop in the Gulf of Mexico and around the Yuckatan, while later in the year, tendicies are to come off of Africa and the Lesser Antillies of the Eastern Atlantic.

Go ahead and book. Hurricaines are nothing but a "roll of the dice," when planning a vacation, anyhow.
Old May 9th, 2004, 07:33 PM
cruisebaby1

Default Re: Re: Hurricane season

Thanks for the help. We are from the Northeast - New Hampshire to be exact. Can't wait to book again. I was actually looking at the Western Caribbean, maybe on the Miracle or I am also looking at Princess = specifically the new Caribbean Princess. As I said we have been on Carnival 2x's and loved it but want to try other too. Have you been on a Princess cruise before. Thanks again....
Old May 9th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Admiral

What the ships do is change intinaries if a hurricane threatens. We usually cruise during hurricane season because the prices are so good during that time. In the last ten years they have been very few cruyises that have been cancelled due to hurricanes and those happened to be two years ago when the Bahamas was hit by a very slow moving hurricane and when Bermuda was also struck. You really should have no serious problem cruising during that season, just be prepared to undergo a change of destinations. Heck, look at it as an adventure! <G>
Jim

Old May 9th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Captain

Ditto Jim
We have been sailing in October (Wedding Aniversary) for over 20 years.
Although there have been "canes" in the area, those ship captains
know how to avoid them. Sail on.....Don't worry, be happy.
joemO
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Passenger

Last year, the first of October we sailed the Pride out of Long Beach. Itinerary was supposed to be Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerta Vallarta. When we got to the cruise terminal we were told the ship had been rerouted due to hurricane warnings. We were routed to San Francisco, Ensenada and Catalina Island. Quite a change. We were given the option of cancelling and getting all our money back, but, you're already there, whatcha gonna do? I guess about 1/3 or the passengers cancelled. Anyway, they gave us $100 per person ship board credit on our sail and sign card and 1/2 price on another cruise if we took it before June 05.
There was a lot ot grousing amoung the passengers who stayed aboard. Some of them were actually from San Francisco!! (That was a bummer)
It was our first cruise, and we were there to cruise. So what the hey. We had a good time. The biggest problem was that nobody had clothes for San Francisco, 'bout froze our tushes off.
But we did have a good time.
Barbara
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:14 PM
George Alex

I sailed on the Legend in September of 03 from nyc. We were going to San Juan St thomas and totorla and since hurricane isabel had plans of her own we did not even enter caribbean waters. We ended up going to key west nassau and freeport. I was disapointed with the bahamas but key west was great and nassau ok. We also got $100 pp on credit. We booked during hurricane season as well. Well hurricane season is from june 1 to november 1 I think but it really picks up in late august and september. It more in july but I rather no get plans changed. We live in nyc so we will sail again and give it another try.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Admiral

I personally would rather cruise in the fall ( hurricane season if you will ) than spring or summer. We have sailed many many times in sept and never really had a problem. In '95 we sailed out of San Juan on the Fascination with hurricane Luis in the area. We only missed one port but otherwise had a great cruise. Have had to miss a port or two, had to switch a port call a time or two but overall, I'll take cruising in the fall anytime.
So, book the cruise and leave the worrying to the captain.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Passenger

Hi. We sailed on the Inspiraton in Sept. of 2002. We missed the Caymeans due to Hurricane Isabel. What we did was go on to Cozumel. But, the weather was ok, but the seas were really choppy, so therefore, there were NO water activities. We will not book again in the fall. Now, we are only 18 days out of our next cruise. Good luck!!!
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:07 AM
BJKeen

I sailed right into a Tropical Disturbance once on a cruise ship that only held 850 passengers. Let me tell you unless your like the fellow in the "Forest Gump" movie, it was not fun. That was years ago. I think the Captains try to sail around the storms if at all possible. Only the cruise lines could tell us for sure.

Cruises are sometimes cancelled depending on where the hurricane is located and the strength.

Best of luck to you!
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:33 PM
cruisebaby1

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Will show all responses to hubby. Happy Sailing to all........
Old June 5th, 2004, 10:31 PM
First Mate

Don't think I would like traveling during Hurrican Season!

Old June 6th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'd rather be on a cruise ship in the middle of a hurricane than on land in the middle of a hurricane. I'm a Hurricane Andrew survivor...and I would have given anything to be on a ship out at sea during that one!

Relax...if you're booking last minute cruises, check out the tropics to see if they're quiet or not during the time you want to cruise.

Old June 6th, 2004, 11:20 AM
cruisebaby1

thanks Georgie, good advice. Sorry you had to go through Hurricane Andrew. That was a horrible storm......