Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Family cruiser

Default Elation

My family of five are booked on the Elation on 8/8. We are flying to Huston on 8/7. Does anybody know how I can get all five of us to Galveston from a hotel the morning of 8/8? Carnival wanted to charge us $62.00 a person for transportation there and back.
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Elation

we are driving straight down from mansfield, so no info on that. i have heard others say there are cheaper ways to get down to galveston, though.

how old is everyone in your group? we are also a family of 5. hubby & i in 40's, daughters 19 & 16, son 11.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Happy Camper

Limo seems to be the best way. Someone put a lemo service they used on the board but I don't remember what it was. I called and talked to them and they were real nice. If you don't get a response to this repost it as "Galaveston transportation" or "Galveston Lemo"..... Debbie
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Passenger

It was Galveston Limo that I used and it was $60 per adult and only $30 per child (fromt he airport that is the farthest away). I tried a lot of different services to get the best cost and this was the best I found - since they only charge 1/2 price for kids.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:30 PM
First Mate

Family Cruiser:
We are going to be on the cruise with you! I don't have an answer to your question, though, as our flight from LA to Houston and transfers to Galveston harbor are included in our cruise package. Do you have your hotel set? You might ask their concierge.
Our group is a total of 6 extended family members....my Father- and Mother-in-law, my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, hubby and me. Parents-in-law live in Texas so will be driving, brother-in-law, hubby & me are out of LA and sister-in-law is in Illinois.
Are you counting the days like we are?? *S*
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

What about getting a rental car?? Does Galveston have a rental agency that you could return the car to and pick on up after your cruise?? just wondering?? Enterprise for example will pick you up and drop you off. Just wondering?? you might inquire??
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:57 PM
teach

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to park at the cruise terminal parking or through one of the other parking areas in Galveston (I believe it's called Dolphin Parking?) Just trying to find the best deal! :-)
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

we did dolphin parking last summer on a 5-nighter and it was $45 i think. you load your luggage and yourself onto their shuttle and they drop you off and pick you up after the cruise as well. the lot is fenced and had some covers, but we didn't get under one. our car was fine, though.
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:14 PM
teach

Default Elation

I've heard that with Dolphin you have to wait a long time to get picked up. Is that true or is it just the normal "after the cruise wait"?
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Happy Camper

With all the immigration taking place on board now you just don't get off the ship until around 10am. Not like the good old days. Anyway - Dolphin will not take people to the ship until they get all the people away from the ship from the past cruise. This was about 12:15pm before we were taken to the cruise. By then the line inside the terminal was pretty long. The actual cruise parking may be better... We liked the covered parking at Dolphin. Really the problem is with the Galveston city police and sheriff not making people adher to the traffic laws - all the people cutting in line slows the buses down and they are just not making them stop... Debbie
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:45 AM
First Mate

We live in Houston so I don't know. But try port of galveston.com or look up car services/taxi's houston in google. I would think you could just get a limo or town car to drive you and just pay a flat rate for all five of you, instead of per person. We stayed at the holiday inn and used their free shuttle, but it was a disaster, especially after the cruise, so were the parking lot shuttles. If I did it again, I would have a taxi scheduled to meet me at the pier when we disembark to take me to my hotel, etc.

Like other posters said, whereever you are sleeping in Houston the night before should be able to help.

Good luck
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Passenger

A friend of mine who went on this same cruise did rent a car one way to keep it over the weekend before getting on the cruise. This rental car service did have a shuttle to take you to the cruise terminal when you dropped off the car and then when the cruise was over he used Galveston limo - one way, to get him back to the airport. So, I know there is a car rental place that will transport you to the cruise terminal - not sure which one he used and he is out of town so I can't ask him right now - sorry.
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

i don't recall waiting more than 5-10 minutes for the dolphin shuttle to the ship. i remember it was around lunchtime, b/c we ate on the ship. the shuttle going back to the lot was more like a 20 minute wait. we were still out before lunch, though.
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Default ELATION TRANSPORTATION

ok, I have some advice... we used EXTREME ELEGANCE LIMOUSINES last week... it was $110 each way (for 4 of us) plus 15% gratuties... I found it by yahoo web search of Houston Airport shuttle...... it was totally awesome ! They picked us up @ Amerisuites right by Hobby Airport - we had round trip booked ! When we docked in Galveston, I called and they were waiting @ the end of the line... they pulled right up as we walked out... made us feel SPECIAL !

If you dont like this idea, Enterprise Rent A Car... u can rent from the airport & tell them u r on Carnival - you get a CARNIVAL rate - you drop the car in Galveston & they will take you to the terminal !

We liked the limo idea... I almost forgot how to drive, cook & clean... lol
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:16 PM
aggieastrosfan

Parked in Dolphin Lot on our 5/2 Elation trip...uncovered parking was $60 for the week (covered an extra $1/day), but we waited for about an hour before we could get on a bus to the ship, and the buses are small - so if you're one of the first ones to the lot, plan on a fight with the other pax who get to the lot after you. We arrived at the lot around 10:40, got on a bus around 11:50, and were on the ship by 1:00, but I had really wanted to be one of the early arrivals, so I was unprepared and disappointed at the lenghth of time it took to get there.

Debarkation, however, was quick - what I think i'll end up doing next time is dropping luggage off, then parking the car there, and walking to the terminal (I run a lot, the walk's not a big deal for me with carryons). Having the bus take you to your car with your luggage at the end of your trip is a big plus for me.