Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2004, 10:58 PM
CanadynGrl@aol.com

Default what happens if a port is cancelled?

I understand that there is a bit of an error or blip on Carnival's site regarding the itinerary for the Inspiration (a whole day/port is missing) - from what I've read my ports are still Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize.

I am wondering what happens in the rare instance when a port is cancelled due to weather (and how rare it is that this happens).

If I book excursions through other carriers, online or otherwise, and must pay in advance or leave a deposit on my credit card, does the cruise line compensate me for these costs if a port is skipped?

I want to book as many excursions as possible on my own as I understand that the cruise line puts a heavy mark up on their excursions and they are often very crowded (more so than the smaller carriers) but many of them ask for your credit card for confirmation and will charge you if you no show - so I would just like to know what my recourse is for this.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Tracey
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: what happens if a port is cancelled?

Your contract with the cruise lines... in you cruise documents, state that they can change the itinerary at any time.

They certainly don't like to alter their itineraries, but if circumstance dictates, they will change, and WILL NOT cover any expenses of tours you chose to book elsewhere.

I often book tours independantly. However I would NEVER book with an operator who requires full payment, and not guarantee your refund should you fail to make the port of call.

Old June 9th, 2004, 08:39 PM
CanadynGrl@aol.com

Thanks Kuki - I consider myself an intelligent woman but a bit of advice can be warranted - I appreciate it.

Tracey
Old June 9th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I agree with Kuki on being careful with who you independently book excursions with. I cancelled the excursion we had booked with an independent cave tubing operator for our stop in Belize - we changed cruises and asked to cancel (I know my new itin still goes to Belize, but member of party isn't sure they can physically make the walk). Today I got an email informing me that our deposit will be refunded. It was only a small deposit and we were prepared to eat it, so it was nice to be informed of a refund.

J

Old June 11th, 2004, 12:08 AM
CanadynGrl@aol.com

Default Re: Re: what happens if a port is cancelled?

Thanks for the information UConn - they sound like quite a reputable organization (perhaps you woudn't mind sharing the name of the operator - they may be just the right tour operator for our trip in August).

Happy Holidays!

Tracey

Old June 11th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Passenger

What I just noticed (since I'm on the Inspiration as well) the itinerary says Sun, Mon, Tues, THURS, Fri, Sat, Sun.

I called Carnival and they say Costa Maya is still on

Siena Blaze

Old June 11th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: what happens if a port is cancelled?

When I sailed the Miracle in April, Key West was our first port of call. However, due to strong winds and rough seas, the captain was unable to dock the ship. They added Freeport, Bahamas on in place of Key West. I think when they are unable to add an alternative port they give you a shipboard credit for that port....from what I've seen it usually isn't all that much. Extra sea days are always nice!