Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Passenger

Default To bring or not to bring...That is the question!

First time cruiser here! Leaving NYC on the Legend 7/18.

Here are a few questions for those experienced at sea.

Should we or can we bring;

1). A Hairdryer or does the cruise line provide one.
2). An iron
3). Beach towels

Please feel free to give me any other suggestions or advice. This is my first cruise and I don't know what to expect. I hate to bring a bunch of stuff that I didn't need to bring because the cruise line will provide it anyway. Also, I don't want to forget something I should have brought. I heard from others that it is important to bring;

A power strip to make more outlets
Extra clothing hangers
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:59 AM
CTMak

Default Re: To bring or not to bring...That is the question!

Karla:

definately bring a hair dryer. It is NOT provided. I don't think they let you bring an iron. An iron inadvertently left on is way too dangerous. But I'm not 100% if they actually forbid them.

Carnival provides towels but if you don't renturn them you will get charged $20 or so.

Enjoy.

CTMak
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Irons aren't permitted (fire hazard). Bring Downy Wrinkle Releaser.

the ship provides beach towels, but they put a $20 deposit onto your Sail and sign card, and remove it when you return the towel. A hassle for some, no biggie for others.

Post Edited (06-20-04 10:01)
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Only some ships provide hair dryers. You have to check to see if yours does.

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Fascination: June 2004
Carnival Triumph: Halloween 2003
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Passenger

The ship we were on had hair dryers, but they are not very powerful at all. There was an iron in the laundry room on the ship. If you have a balcony room bring a bungee cord to keep the door open.

Carnival Fascination 2003
Carvinval Destiny 2004
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Admiral

I always bring my hairdryer just in case. Since my hair is short the ships hairdryer works if there is one, but when it was long, forgetaboutit.

No irons allowed. I have a travel steamer which truthfully I rarely ever use. The steam in the bathroom usually is enough.

Every ship I've been on provides beach towels. Like it has been stated, if you don't return it you will be charged but that is not a problem for me. Beach towels take up too much room to pack. I can always use that room to take a few more clothes that I'm not gonna wear. :-)

Carnival Glory
Old June 20th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Maursea

this is marseas daughter...
hairdryers stink for me. i have long and think hair if ur hair is like mine
bring one from home.
Old June 20th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

As others have said, bring your own hair dryer. I suggest you also bring a power strip so you can plug in the dryer, curling irons etc, at the same time as there is only one outlet.
Old June 20th, 2004, 03:45 PM
George Alex

People Make it simple. I have been on the Carnival Legend and yes It has a hair dryer. Irons are in the laundry rooms on the legend. There is a laundry room on the Verandah Deck [7] located in midship The empress deck [6] has one all the way in the front Upper and main deck have one all the way in the back and the rivera has one in mid ship. You can also use dry cleaning. I have a price list so if you want to know the prices let me know for what. Its only 2 months old so the prices must still be the same. Beach towels you get like 2 in your room plus what everyone else said but I always bring one extra per person. Very few hangers on the legend. 6 per person plus they dont completely come out so it is a hassle to put clothes on them well atleast for me it was. Bring the extra outlet Because like evryone said there is only one and many people use chargers for cameras cell phone and other things. You dont need toothpaste and soap the cabin has plenty in a small basket. Shampoo is also provided but many women are picky about what they use for there hair so that is up to you. And one more thing CruizinKarla See you there I will be on that sailing to 7/18/04 only 29 or 28 days to go I forgot. I am to exicted to count.
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Passenger

Thanks Everyone for such great advice!
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to MysteriousVxin

How about walkie talkies?? I have heard that you can rent them - does anyone know if this is true and if so - about how much is the charge??

Past Cruises:
Sept. 5, 2004 - Norwegian Dawn
July 18, 2004 - Carnival Legend
Sept. 4, 2003 - RCCL - Serenade of the Sea
July 13, 2003 - RCCL - Nortic Empress
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: To bring or not to bring...That is the question!

I don't know about renting walkie talkies, but you can get a nice pair of Motorola Talkabouts for around $30 - try WalMart or Target. Then they're yours for your next cruise, and your next one, and your next one...

Old June 21st, 2004, 06:41 AM
barryl

bring the dryer, no need to bring towels
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:48 PM
First Mate

If you have 3 pepole in a room do you get 3 towels? Or is 2 the limit?
These r a few things iv written down that I have found might be handy
a highlighter to mark things on your daily bulletin
power strip
night light (its real dark in the inside rooms)
dirty clothes bag
ziplocks for wet clothes shells etc
Lots of $1.00 & $5.00 bills for tipping
basic first aid things
shout stainremovers sm packets
envelopes for extra tipping
if you want to send postcards u can print them out on address labels before the cruise
bug spray
air freshener (stale cabin)
disinfectant wipes
underwater camera
back pack for shopping
binoculars
sm sewing kit
sm lint roller
snorkel gear
an over the door hanging shoe bag for small items
those are a few things I thought would come in handy hope that helps
Shelly

Old June 21st, 2004, 07:34 PM
Passenger

OMG are you serious.....they don't allow the irons anymore?? I have a small compact travel iron they allowed me to use on my last cruise with Carnival 1 yr ago. I also take along a steam iron.
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:51 PM
Passenger

WOW...Shelly...That is some list. Thanks!
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:19 PM
cruizegal

Hi All...Can't wait to see you onboard. Soaking up all this advise. It seems like we need to take a suitcase just with all the extras that we need on board that they don't supply. Anything else you can think of please post!!!

Can't Wait!!!!
7/18/04 Legend
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
jf

Don't bring an iron I think they are taking them from people because of a fire hazard. If your hair is longer than shoulder length and you want it to dry bring your own hair dryer. The first time I cruised I didn't bring one and regretted it (but my friend brought one so it all worked out) The second time I brought one and I didn't need it but the third time I did and didn't have one needless to say I will never go on a cruise with out one again. My other suggestion is bring about half the clothes you think you need. I did this last time and still had to much.

Just a side suggestion if you like to snack you will not find chips or cereal bars or things of that nature so if you want some bring some. There is a ton of food but nothing snack like to just grab and run. They do sell this stuff in the store on the ship but pringles cost me about five bucks.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Mike Fast

We also bring an over the door shoe bag to hold toiletries such as hair spray, razors, tooth brush, tooth paste, make-up, curling iron, combs, etc. There is just no counter space in the bathroom to lay these things on, so we just hang the shoe bag over the bathroom door, and it is so handy. Also, we have found the two way radios very handy. My wife loves to play bingo, and go shopping, while I just enjoy the pool and laying in the deck chairs. They make it easy to find each other when she is done doing her thing. The only problem trying to find a channel that is not too busy.
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Great Ideas....Thanks All!!
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:53 PM
dotheyes

I haven't been on a cruise yet, but here are some of the things I have wrote down from experience cruisers on webboards

Baggies all sizes
Binoculars
Downey Wrinkle Release
Duck tape ( a must have)
Flashlight
Hand Sanitizer
Post it notes
(Pack a pad of Post-It notes to leave messages for your cabin steward, family,
and friends).
Scotch Guard
(spray your luggage with Scotch Guard for additional waterproofing both inside
and out.)
„Ï Set aside a few moments every day to pack up your used clothing and spend the last afternoon of your cruise doing fun things while your fellow passengers are packing to go home
„Ï Don¡¦t miss the morning sun in your inside cabin. Before you retire for the night, leave the television tuned to the channel with the ¡§view from the bridge¡¨ and you¡¦ll awaken with a ¡§window¡¨ on the outside world. Remember to turn the sound off.
„Ï Take along an insulated mug with a lid. Fill it at the beverage station in the buffet area¡Xyour drinks will stay hot or cold and you won¡¦t have to worry about spills. Most bartenders will fill it with ice and water or a soft drink. With a straw, your ice won¡¦t melt instantly while lounging at the pool. Better still, mugs are great souvenirs¡Xbuy one that sports your ship¡¦s name from the gift shop.
„Ï Take along a hanging shoe organizer for the closet. It extends your storage space for small items and keeps your shoes off the floor.
„Ï Put some of his and hers clothes in each suitcase incase one is late arriving to cabin.
„Ï With Carnival the room service menu is limited. However, you can go to the dining room yourself and order a meal to go then take it to your room. Not quite as romantic as having it delivered, but not too bad either. Good luck.
„Ï If we need more tags pre-print labels with the exact same info taken from tags That way at the pier, just stick the labels on the new tags. write the cabin number in large Red print to catch their eye

A sailing we will go
Dottie
Old June 24th, 2004, 06:57 PM
SuQu

Remember that once you get there, there are many hidden costs!!!!!! If you are a drinker, save your money and take a bottle in your suitcase. They do let you. Some people even take their own set ups. You can easily loose track of how much you are spending and they don't let you use cash or credit card on board. It's a sail n sign card which automatically gets charged to your account or credit card on file. I would really suggest keeping things simple. Don't take 10 pairs of shoes if 3 will really do just fine. Make sure you take any medical or cosmetic things you might need. Yes, they do have shampoo in the shower, but not conditioner. Take some seasickness medicine just in case. Take lots of ones for tipping on excursions, cab rides or for any extra tipping on board. On our formal night, I did not see one single tux or evening gown. Most men had suits or sport coats and the ladies, short or cocktail length black dresses. Some men even went without a coat. It wasn't as formal as I thought it would be.
Have fun,
Suzy
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:15 AM
spike

The most important thing to remember is your PASSPORT (or less preferable STATE issued & embossed birth certificate)!!!!!! You will not get on the ship without an approved identification (see Carnival catalog). After 9-11, security is real tight, and documents are reviewed carefully. OHH...don't forget your cruise docs and airline tics.