Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Passenger

Default Getting ready to leave on Jubilee

We will be leaving on the Jubilee July 1st. We are trying to decide if we should pack cokes in our checked luggage (and if so should we pack bottles or cans) - or if we should get a small cooler and just carry it on? What do most people do? We saw some soft sided coolers that would fold up and fit in a suit case - it would hold about 8 or 9 can drinks. We just don't know what to do - our children drink alot of cokes and we wanted to save money and not purchase the drink card. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Soup

Default Re: Getting ready to leave on Jubilee

We went on a cruise two years ago and packed a 12 pack in the luggage. We packed cans, but I heard that the plastic bottles are better.
If you are wanting to save money we packed a collapsible cooler and ordered room service in the morning before we left the boat. You can have your cabin steward bring you ice and that way you won't have to worry what you are eating or what it will cost. Room Service is free, but there is a gratuity.
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Passenger

Are you allowed to carry food off from the boat? I had read somewhere that you cannot carry food back on the boat - but wasn't sure about taking it off.
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Soup

Default Re: Re: Getting ready to leave on Jubilee

We packed our cooler and carried off at every port. Not sure about bringing food on board.
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:49 AM
fabrizzi

Far be it for me to judge how much soda your children drink. However, do keep in mind

There are no cans of pop on the ship, there are not 40 oz bottles either - it's all by the glass. Which means tha the only place your children could consume all this soda would be in their cabin. Besides, are 8 cans of pop really going to satisfy their needs to drink pop. How long will 8 cans last?

And if you are thinking of replenishing your supply every time you reach a port and purchase soda, think again. They may confiscate your stash upon re-entry to the ship.

All in all I don't think it's worth it to go through all that hassle for a couple cans of sugared water, which is probably not good for them anyway. There is plenty of lemonade and other juices which are free onboard.

Now on the other hand, smuggling a bottle of booze is another story.
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Passenger

I guess that all people are different but I don't think 8 or 9 drinks for 4 people is a whole lot for a 4 night cruise-that is not even 2 drinks a day. Even in the carnvial booklet that was sent out it says that a reasonable amount of drinks can be carried on board. I called Carnival last night and I e-mailed them this morning and both told me just to carry it on that there was no need to pack it in my checked luggage. I guess in my original question that I phrased it wrong - all of us consume coke at my house. On some of the other posts and on the other boards I have read where some people take on cases of drinks - plus alcohol.
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

How much does it cost for the soda cards for kids? I think it's worth a few bucks to get them the soda cards, save your back from aching from hauling around a cooler and worrying about buying sodas everywhere.

You've saved the $$$ to take a luxury cruise, why worry about spending at the most $100 to see that your kids get as much to drink as they want while on the cruise?

Just picture yourself: You've gone this far, dressed up, off on a luxury liner, wearing a tux and gown for formal night, getting your kids dressed up, looking all classy and then ruining the whole image by hauling a picnic cooler onboard a luxury liner to save a couple bucks! :nope

Old July 1st, 2004, 08:23 AM
fabruzzi

Not sure of the cost for 4 day cruise. I know this past April our 7 day cruise the cards were $29 each ($2.50 - $3.00 individual drinks) If this is the route you will be taking you should investigate it further.

I may be mistaken but I beleive that the soda cards cannot be used in the dinning room for dinner, but used freely anywhere else.
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:36 PM
Passenger

I've read over the faq on Carnival's web-site and found very helpful information, the Fountain Fun Card is $4 / day for children under the age of 18 and $5.50 for adults. This is directly from the web-site

"We will offer to all guests the option to purchase a "Fountain Fun Card" which will allow them unlimited soft drinks for the duration of the cruise at a one time purchase price (including gratuities). The "Fountain Fun Card" can be purchased at any bar on board the ship. In all locations where beverage service is offered, guests may receive a glass of the soft drink of their choice - one glass will be served at a time and only to the guest whose name appears on the card. The card cannot be used through room service.

NOTE: A 15% gratuity will automatically be added on at the time of purchase of the Fountain Fun Card.

Cost for guests under 18 = $4 per day
Cost for guests over 18 = $5.50 per day

Free soft drinks in the dining room for children under the age of 12 is still in effect whether they have purchased a "Fountain Fun Card" or not. "

Hope this helped.
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:58 PM
Yeoman

Georgie, " a luxury cruise" nope, a family cruise on a mass market line. I mean it's hardly like they are going on The Seaborn Legend is it?And who wears tuxes anymore, especially on four day cruises, may be 5% . The rest might have a suit on, but that is even in decline.