Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 01:53 PM
First Mate

Default Why the difference in price at different departure ports?

I was perusing the Sunday Travel Section of our newspaper, and saw an ad for Carnival Cruise Lines. I noticed that a 7-day cruise out of Galveston was considerably cheaper than a 7-day cruise out of Los Angeles. And I think a 7-day cruise out of Miami was less expensive than one out of Tampa.

Is this based on the ships that are sailing out of those ports (perhaps the newer ships cost more to cruise on?) or is it something about the port, itself, and how many competing cruise lines sail out of the same port?
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2004, 02:04 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda
Default Re: Why the difference in price at different departure ports

Hi Terri -

My guess is the ports that are more expensive cost more to maintain. For instance, I am from New York City, and would love to cruise from here, but the cost is considerably more (somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 more!), so it's actually cheaper for me to fly out of Miami - go figure! :-D

In New York, they just did a lot of work on the port (plus they've opened up the new port in Cape Liberty, NJ), and I'm sure they are passing along the costs to us cruisers - of course! Other factors could be taxes (which are very high in the city!), maintenance charges for the various facilities, etc. are more expensive here as well. In addition, as you mentioned, the newer ships cost more to sail on.

Sad isn't it? But we can't let it get us down!

Have a great day!

Cathy

Old July 19th, 2004, 02:24 PM
jamiegunter

It could be also the ship. Newer ships are more exspensive than older ones.
Plus more people would rather go out of Florida I would think, so they have
to discount heavier for other ports.
Old July 19th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Happy Camper

Also it is the other cruiselines at that port and their prices. Also time of year. Teh one from LA could have been for December where the one in Galveston was for Sept... ???? Probably how they are filling up the ships. Typically I could fly to Miami and get a balcony cabin for the same price as a balcony cabin from Galveston which I drive too.... ?????? Debbie
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

PORT TAXES!
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:27 PM
shavey

Default Re: Re: Why the difference in price at different departure p

As well as the destination port taxes. I can't remember what port but I was
told port tax for 1 day docking was $20,000.00.
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:53 PM
venice

it's actually all the above and then some...the major cruise ports are high cost operations and have pretty well "maxed" out so they charge the cruise lines more...the "home port" concept of positioning ships to other cities where people don't have to fly or are within 24 hours of driving is fueled by these cities offering significant incentives to bring a cruise ship (and the millions of dollars of annual revenue) as well as a post 9/11 fall out where people were reluctant to fly..marketing says it's harder to fill the older ships so they offer a price incentive to encourage people to cruise out of the smaller cities on the older ships...plus don't forget..an older ship sailing out Mobile is an event because it brings great prestige to the cities, plus most older ships are smaller and can operate in smaller channels. Case in point is New Orleans when the channel was close due to an accident.NCL with it's older smaller ship could operate, CCL with it's mega ship was stuck
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

It also might have to do with fuel costs.....a ship out of tampa doing the same itinerary as one out of miami might have to go faster and take up more fuel, or in CA the prices might be higher for gas etc.

Old July 19th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Mandybear

Just tonight we realized a HUGE difference in prices depending on port. It would be incredibly convenient for us to sail from NYC, but for a lower price we can fly to Miami and take another cruise, same balcony rooms. Funny how that works.

I was thrilled to think how much we'd save not needing airfare, but when it came down to it; it is cheaper to fly to Miami, plus there is a greater choice of destinations.

I was doing some research and found this generally does have to do with port charges, more than anything else.
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:09 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to nurd13

I think a lot of it just has to do with general destination. For example, Alaska cruises tend to be more expensive than others. Caribbean cruises are generally the cheapest because there is so much competition and so many options.

Another factor, like others said, is fuel costs. Take a look at the distance the ships actually have to travel. Itinerary maps can be deceiving because they are all different scales. Although the map size is the same for a cruise from New York and a cruise from Miami, the cruise from New York is probably traveling a much greater distance up to Canada, out to Bermuda, or down to the Caribbean. Cruises from New Orleans or Galveston may be more than a cruise from Miami because they have to cruise across the Gulf of Mexico to get to any of their ports. Other destinations have things like that as well.

Of course, these are just my speculations so take them for what they're worth...
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:27 AM
ra

I think it also has to do with the popularity of the port. There aren't too many other options in NYC, and the Tampa port is supposed to be always sold out. Miami is big, but isn't a close to a large amount of people which may be why its cheaper.