Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Beginner

Default Pre-paid gratuities

I'm looking at my Carnival reservation for Dec. and notice that there is the option of "pre-paid gratuities" as well as the normal "reverse gratuities" that is automatically added to your Sign and Sail account. If I choose to tip-as-I- go, and not leave an automatic 10%, can I set the pre-paid to $ 0.00?

Would the employees on-board know that I had done this?

Thanks,

Zoomer
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:00 PM
fabrizzi

Default Re: Pre-paid gratuities

I don't know what you mean by "pre-paid". You will pay the gratuities before boarding?

I would let the cruise line put the gratuities onto your S&S card. About $10 pp/pday. You can always adjust them up or down depending on the service you feel you received. (this is usually done the last nite of your cruise).

Should you not be satisfied with the level of service you received it would be a shame to know that you had pre-paid those gratuities. And, no, I don't think the cervers know that you chose to set the pre-paid amount to $0.00.

And by the way tipping is not 10%. It's $10 pp/pday. Plus all bar drinks they will add 15%
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Pre-paid is just that - you pre-pay your gratuties before you ever sail.

The "automatic"amount you hear people referring to is put on when you board the ship, but it's not 10% - it's $10 per person, per day.

And yes, the staff knows who has the $10 per day on their card and who doesn't. If you take the amount off, they just hope and pray you won't be one of the many people who stiff them on the last night.....

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:14 PM
theCoach

Oh come now Dorothy!

I can't see that my waiter knows that I have pre-paid or entered $0.00 for pre payment. I con't even see how my waiter would know at the end of the cruise that I added $30 in tips.

I would think that the only way my waiter would know about the extra tips i provided was because of the $20 bill I slipped into his hand during our fairwell handshake. It would seem to be a very dangerous game for all the service staff to know ahead of time who was tipping and who was not.

The only person who MAY know is the room steward when he delivers the statement to your stateroom and he/she inspects it. But even then it's ifeee.
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

I asked my waiter about that on the Triumph and he said he wouldn't find out who had removed their tips until the Sunday which is the day after everyone gets off the ship.
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Beginner

Apparently there are two ways to pay tips according to the Carnival website--below is a direct quote:

"What is the tipping policy onboard?

Guests can pay their shipboard gratuities in one of two ways:

1. Reverse Gratuity Policy - For our guests' convenience, we automatically add the recommended gratuities to the onboard Sail & Sign account on embarkation day.
Guests will have the discretion to adjust these gratuities based upon the level of service received during the cruise.

2. Pre-Paid Gratuity Policy - Gratuities are pre-arranged and paid at the time of booking or any time up to two weeks prior to the sail date. "

What I would like to know is if I can opt for the Pre-Paid Gratuity Policy for $0.00 amount, and then tip in cash whatever I think is appropriate. I know that if the tips are added in with the "Reverse Gratuity Policy", I can change them at the purser's desk, but don't want to do it that way.

(Thanks for the responses--and you are correct, it isn't 10%, it is $10 per day).
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Coach, just going by what my waiter told me in January. He said all the staff had access to "the list" during the cruise. I'm pretty nosy, so was asking him if "stiffing" was a problem and just about the whole process.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old August 11th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Passenger

I heard that it is also possible tipping the old way, wich I think is more personal,
you has to ask on the purser desk to tip this way nad they will give you f an envelop, and the last night you will give this peronally to your waiter and roomatt. if you wish to tip more to your waiter , because he was verry good, you can, and if you want to tip your roomatt. only 50% cause you didnt see him the whole cruise, this is also possible.
I like it this way, cause only so they will do their utmost to give good service, and as we all can notice the service isnt the same anymore as tit was formerly when they only used the old way tipping, cause they know, we will get a tip anyway............why do we haveto work harder.
sailing in oct 2th with truimph
Old August 11th, 2004, 06:45 PM
fabrizzi

Hey futura, like I keep telling my wife
"It doesn't matter how you do it - Just do it"

These people are deserving of it
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Admiral

I have been told by more than one waiter that they can indeed find out who is on the auto-tip or pre-paid tips. One y9oung lady told me she never looks because she didn't want to know. We almost always tip in the old-fashioned way and have the auto-tipping removed.
Jim

Old August 11th, 2004, 09:44 PM
retiredldo

Default Re: Re: Pre-paid gratuities

They definitely know who is tipping and who is not, few years ago princess actually just after they started the auto tipping, we (the waiter) and I had a discussion about this and he said that they have a list etc etc and they were not getting stiffed as much as before the auto tipping went into effect

Pete
Old August 12th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Cruisingrandma

We always pre pay out tips for the last 2 cruises with carnival. I like it that way. Then if we get exceptional service in any area. we can give extra as we see fit. Just not something we need to worry about. its all paid for then..