Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2004, 06:44 AM
First Mate

Default Which airport in San Juan

We are contemplating our next cruise (our first one is THIS weekend) - to leave from San Juan and go the Southern Caribbean route. I'm trying to price some flights - but I'm not sure which airport we should be going into. Two are listed. Can anybody give me some direction on this?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Which airport in San Juan

Isn't there a San Juan International airport? I'm sure thats the one we always use, didn't realize there was another one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 17th, 2004, 08:57 AM
seeker

The airport code you need is SJU, this is for San Juan International. This is the main airport in the San Juan area.
Hope this helps!
Seeker
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:18 PM
First Mate

Thanks very much. I was surprised too, when I went to the airline sites and entered San Juan - and it came back and asked WHICH one. I was sort of guessing San Juan International (SJU) - but wanted to be sure.

Next question - I can check expedia, orbitz, etc - but are there other independent airlines that I won't find on there - that might give me better prices??

Old August 17th, 2004, 03:00 PM
seeker

JoyceR,
Depending on which part of the country you are in, airlines such as ATA sometimes offer good sales. We are in Chicago and usually do AA or United because of the nonstop flights. They are not too much more $ if you book early or catch a sale. Are you planning to go the day before?
Seeker
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Which airport in San Juan

Seeker,

I"m sure we'll go a day ahead. We're doing that for Tampa this year, and after reading all of the information on the boards, I can't imagine ever planning to arrive on the same day as the cruise (unless it's something I can drive to easily).

We are barely into the planning stage at this time - we just know we want to do southern Caribbean and we want it to include Aruba, which looks like we'll have to go out of San Juan. I'm trying to get some idea of the costs, etc -so I can start planning.

Thanks for the info...
Joyce

Old August 17th, 2004, 08:59 PM
fabrizzi

Hey JoyceR

If my hunch is correct you'll be sailing the Destiny out of San Juan (SJU) 20-30 minute ride to port.

We are considering this same cruise for next April and would like your feedback as to the ports and the ship. We are flying out of Canada and embarkation out of San Juan is more expensive for us. However, we are interested in the ports of call Destiny is visiting. Pleas report when you return.

Thanx
Old August 18th, 2004, 05:54 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Which airport in San Juan

I would love to report - but unfortunately, I'm looking FAR ahead - at the next spring (2006) to make this trip. Our first cruise is this week to the Western Caribbean, but alas, I don't think I can manage a cruise every year - so we figured the next spring would be our next one. So looks like you'll have the good fortune of going before we do. We are the same as you - the flight will cost us more than a US port - but we really won't a trip that will visit Aruba - so I think you're right - the Destiny will be our ship (unless some changes are made before then, which could happen since it's so far in the future).
I guess you will have to report to us, instead !!
It's a long way off - but planning and anticipation are all part of the fun.