Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:24 AM
Beginner

Default Dinner seating question

I'm new to cruising so I have no idea how things work, so please excuse my ignorance. My question is... since I'm a single traveler and am interested in meeting other singles, can I request to be seated with other singles at dinner? If so, how and when do I make this request?

I'm sort of wondering if I should even ask Carnival to do so since I received word from my travel agent that they had me listed as someone who needs dialysis, which is not true!! I'm as healthy as a horse! I keep recalling that scene from animal house where they keep seating the guy on the couch with a bunch of nerds and geeks. I'll probably be seated with all of the people with oxygen tanks and colostomy bags.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dinner seating question

They do their best to seat singles together

Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Yeoman

Tommy, I understand your question, but......
Becareful what you make fun of in your early years. Alot of things can happen as you grow older. You could very easy end up with an oxygen tank 24/7 ,and possibly a colostomy bag too ! Or worse ! Just thank God for your health at this point in your life, and may good fortune follow you through your life.
Tell your T.A. to correct the health issue. You should be fine.

Dining room:
Your T.A. should've ask you if you wanted late or early seating for the main dining room.
I would join your table quest the first few nights. Usually on a cruise, people are very nice and friendly. I still keep in touch with people I cruised with 5 yrs ago.

Happy cruising;
david
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:03 PM
Yeoman

TommyG, To answer your question, which no one else really has, they try to seat single people with other single people. If you are not happy with the people you are sitting with, you can ask to be seated somewhere else. You can also ask as soon as you get on the ship where you are sitting and they can move you if you like. Just go to the pursers desk when you board. I hope that answers your question without the bitterness. Happy sailing. And p.s. Cruznut2, appliances are for kitchens.

Carnival Liberty
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:32 PM
Yeoman

tommy

my first cruise was solo. i was seated at a table with other singles. i had a great time. i think carnival tries to set it up that way. if you are not happy with the people you are with or where the table is, you can ask to be moved.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Carnival requires you give your age at time of booking. Part of the reason, is to seat people who are in the same age brackets, and singles with singles.

There's no accounting though for whether others at the table will be "normal" though, or have "normal" senses of humor.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Politically incorrect - it's getting harder to say anything around here without someone taking offense. Lighten up - I think TommyG was just trying to be funny - :o). If we can't laugh at ourselves then we can't laugh at all. TTFN Jennifer
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tommy.....everybody getting on you for that one. But one thing I think is funny is people with oxygen tanks hoses in their noses smoking a cigarette at the same time....jeesh...you'd figure they'd learn!

Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
First Mate

Dont know if this is true or not but my TA told me that Carnival TRIES to seat people together who live in the same part of the country. I dont know if that is true or not but that is what I was told.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Admiral

jeleja,
I think that's very true. We sailed the Inspiration out ot New Orleans and out of all those thousands of people our tablemates were from So. Calif. also. They live less than 30 miles away. On the Glory last year, we were seated by same aged couples. So much fun because they were from NJ and NC and neither had ever been to CA. We have always been happy with our tablemates.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Hmmmmmmmmm here is a combination that blows all those theories away. We were three middle aged ladies from NH traveling together on the Celebration in 1991. We were seated with 5 new college grads. 2 girls from Seattle and 3 boys from the Boston area. It went well and we had a great time with the kids. The boys were always out late and never made it to breakfast. They used to laugh about the fact that I was often up on deck for sunrise and coffee at about the same time they were going to bed. One morning I went up to get my coffee and on the coffee station was a note that said "We were here, where were you?" Signed the boys from table 352. I got such a laugh over that, I still have the note in my book. Who knows what the magic "formula" is that Carnival uses but so far it has always worked out great for us. I have met many interesting and fun people in the dining room.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:18 AM
First Mate

My 14 year old son and I just cruised Inspiration. Our first night at dinner he did not want to eat in the main dining room. Didnt want to get dressed up and sit with strangers. As we approached our table, I REALLY got worried. NO KIDS at our table. We sat down and within minutes my worries were gone. Our table mates were so much fun and so interesting. There was a Cuban family from Florida (we are from Ohio) traveling together, they were a couple with their college aged daughter and her husband who was also from Cuba. The father had come over to America on a raft he built himself. The younger of the two Cuban men had my son captivated with his stories of growing up in Cuba. There was a couple from Indiana who had such a sense of humor they had us in stitches each night. They treated my son as though he were their own grandson. While walking back to our cabin that first night after dinner, my son turned to me and said "that was nice, are we going to get to sit with them again tomorrow night"? He was happy to learn that they were our dinner companions for the entire cruse.
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Dinner seating question

Our table consisted of my wife, 12 year old son, 14 year old son and myself plus a couple from Maryland, a retired gentleman from Central Florida, and a woman who is a CFO also from Central Florida. We also were worried that there were no other kids besides ours but our tablemates were terrific. We have all their contact information and we would like to stay in contact with them also.
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:24 PM
donnaG

IF YOU REQUEST TO BE SEATED WITH SINGLES ,THEY WILL TRY THERE BEST TO DO THAT,BE A PEST...AND YOU,LL GET YOUR WAY....DONNAG