Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Passenger

Default BEST PACKER EVER

I posted this elsewhere but figured i would copy it here as well, this was for a 7 day cruise: the two i have been on i have over packed each time

In my 22 inch carryon, i fit 2 pair of dress shoes, snorkel gear, bottle of champagne, 2 pairs of black dress pants 3 shirts,( i mixed and matched jewlery to make the outfits different) 2 formal night dresses, make up, toiletries, 3 swim suits to wraps, 2 pairs of shorts, and 2 shirts. socks, and ofcourse underwear. It was very nice to unpack as soon as we got to them room, and not have to wait until after dinner to do so. I like to carry on my bags after hearing horror stories of people not getting their luggage... my Dh had pre ordered a tux, so no need to pack that , and dress shoes, and we were unpacked on the lido deck , and enjoying our cruise with no apprehension, also with the 22 inch carry ons, we can put them in over head on the plane, NO CHANCE OF LOST LUGGAGE ON MY VACA !!!!

ps this was still overpacked we didnt wear half the clothes we brought

... but still and my bag was not crammed up either. I found that the majority of the day was spent in a swim suit and an ankle length wrap that doubles as a neat way to wear it as a dress tied at the top in the event that i wanted to eat at the buffet inside... we changed for dinner, and i did laundry twice. which only took about 45 min and this time around, im not even packing that much.. plus.. i bought gauze pants this time, and sun dresses instead of pants, because you can roll them up very very small, and they are meant to be wrinkled.. i have ( ok i obsess about vacation,, ) have done a test packing for my cruise in november.... so far heres what s going in :

2 sundresses, (one nice enough for formal night we only do 1)
2 pairs of gauze pants -one black one maroon
2 shirts one black one maroon ( those items washed and mismatched will make 4 outfits) with varying jewlery
3 swim suits w/ 3 wraps ( all ankle length)
One pair of shorts and a regular white tshirt
two pairs of sandals (both black, one pair flat, one with heels)
Since iam from Jersey and the cruise is in November in miami, we were a sweatsuit, and sneakers on the plane) so if were chilly on the water we have that,, but it didnt get packed ,,, washed and worn for the return home,,, again not packed.(leaves more room). 2 pairs of socks, and underwear.

i still have one whole side of my 22inch carry-on empty,, that will be enough room for 2 bottles of wine, and my makeup bag..a curling iron, and misc. toiletries. again when we unpack the wine will no longer be an issue and leave more room for trinkets

I do wash twice, on at sea days.. it only takes 45 min , and 4.00 dollars- i dont check my luggage at the airport, i dont porter it , i carry it on the ship... i dont have to worry about where it is or if its getting damaged. Also , i have yet on either cruise... and we have been on board -each line princess, and carnival before 11:30am,,,we have never not been able to get in my room, so we drop bags off, head for lunch come back and upack... This has simplified and made me less crazy about losing my luggage. I am 25 my DH is 34 and my girlfriend i go with is also 34 we all use this method, and we are all happy.. Hope this helps all of you ps i am also not a skinny toothpick so please dont think that i am a size 2 and can cram all the tiny itty bitty clothes in a pocket book i am an average sized woman, who has got the packing down to a science

I bring half on a 3 day by the way and stil do one load of laundry between my friend and I

12/10/04 3 Day Fascination to the Bahamas
05/07/05 8 Day Aruba Voyager of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to shanenstac
Default Re: BEST PACKER EVER

This sounds like a great way to pack!!! Can you give me any pointers as to "how" you are able to pack all of that in such a small carry on? What is your method? Is there a certain order you use when packing? I have only been on one cruise and my husband and I both WAY OVERPACKED!!! I don't want to make that mistake again, but also want to have everything we need. Thanks in advance!
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM
katiemae

Sorry, but when I'm on vacation, I'm not going to do laundry!
Old November 5th, 2004, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Not checking luggage is the way to go! I am already planning luggage packing and we do not go until July 2005! I still recall a post by a man who had a few good ideas...bring t-shirts, under garments that are at their wearing limit..throw them out as you go, now that is a simple man!

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old November 5th, 2004, 11:32 AM
gatorclaw

This is an encouraging message.
I would love to get to this level of not having to check bags. However, anyone know if it is ok to take a backpack (for my laptop computer and some other electronics) *and* a 22inch size carry on to the plane together? I'm flying Delta and their site states you can take a carry on piece as well as a briefcase or purse. Can I stretch those rules to include backpack instead of a briefcase? Thanks for any insight.

Now if I can just get my gf to pack less than 12 pairs of shoes...
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Admiral

I feel the same way about laundry...we did it once on a cruise, and I will never do it again! (unless in case of emergency!). Every wanted to do some, the room was hot & crowded but you couldn't leave or you would miss a machine, and 'sides, I figure I'm going to leave that chore for home from now on! I'd rather overpack!

Happy cruising!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Passenger

I have never been in a crowded laundry room on any cruise,...

Here's my secret.....

There is no need to put on a pair of shorts and a tshirt to go eat breakfast just to go change again anyway... for women,,, use an ankle length wrap tied above your chest as you would a towel, over your swimsuit...now its a sun dress.... men obviously a tshirt an your swim/board shorts are fine....

Wrinkle free material..... cotten/polyester blends.... you can roll them up and get them pretty small to pack ... also only 2 pairs of these types of pants are needed, well for me anyway like i said i do laundry .... 1 load people, it takes 30min,,, drop it off in the laundry room in the washer go grab a slice of pizza, come back pop it in the dryer go get an icecream and a frozen drink , come back and poof DONE.... how did that possibly take any time away from vacation, your in the laundry room about 1 minute each time... or instead of pizza do it when you are going to the photo gallery to look at your pics.... you dont have to stand there while its washing... i never do, just dont be too long or it will annoy the next cruiser who needs to do laundry...

3rd trick..... ever buy curtains, or window treatments,,, they come in square zipper pouches, or bags,, i save them , bags are about 5x7 i roll everything up, stick em in the bags squish the air out, and voila..... no wrinkles, and now when you go through security , two things happen, everything is in see through bags, security guys love this... 2- no one TOUCHED your clothes with their grimey hands... 3... you know where all your stuff is, one bag for swim wear, one for formal one for casual... works really really good... and you can get more out of a 22 inch carry on... right now as we speak my bags are packed for my cruise december 10th i have 5 of those bags in there 2 pairs of sandals, all the toiletries, flat iron, and bottle of ASTI, and snorkel gear.....

Post Edited (11-05-04 13:04)

Old November 5th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Big Craig

We use space bags for our onboard wear, we used to carry 2 packed duffle bags and now get it in 1 with room to spare, we pack the second duffle for dirty clothes and fill the space bag filled duffle with the remainder, we also take along a extra suitcase for souveneirs and cigs and things....
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:27 AM
elen

BIG CRAIG
I used space bags to bring stuff to my son's college, a major drive away, BUT all the stuff was left there. I had to use a vacuum to suck the air out. How did you repack the spacebags without a vacuum on the ship?
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:28 AM
elen

Mizange
The 22" bag went on the plane. What size was the bag with the sundresses in it, and that one was checked in?
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Big Craig

elen,
We packed an empty duffle bag in one of the space bags for our dirty clothes and souveneirs and things, it is nice to board as compact as possible and when the cruise is over we put both duffles out at midnight and just use a small suitcase for final morning wear and toiletries, although we once had a cabin steward lend us a vacuum on the last night to re-compact the space bag, he really earned his tip plus some : )
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Amadna

When I went on my last cruise my mom and I each had 2 luggages. One big one and One small one and each had a carry on. We were going on a 7 day cruise and we LOVE clothes. You would think with all of that we would have over packed, but we didnt.
This is waht i think i Packed:
2 Formal Dresses
1 Sundress
2 skorts(blue/pink)
1jean skirt
1kahki skirt
1ble and white skirt
2black shirts(could be worn with any of the above)
1 white tanktop( " ")
2 pairs of shorts
3 regualr tanktops
2 1sleeved shirts- pink,purple,white
1 pair of basketball shorts
socks
tshirt
sweatpants/sweatshirt
1 pair of capris/jeans
SHOES:
Sandles:
Pink,Blue,Black,Purple,White- and my adidas ones- They matched everything I had
2 pairs of dress shoes
Makeup
blowdryer
straightener
toiletres

Its kinda of scary that by the end of the cruise i was running out of clothes. I think it was because I changed my clothes alot during the day. I had an outfit for the morning/by the pool, showered after pool- then had an afternoon outfit, changed for dinner, then either stayed in my dinnnerware for the show or chjanged into what i was going to ware in the club that night....
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Elen

There was no second bag, only the 22 inch, what i meant was the dress in a small zip up bag is not in the picture... but it does go in the 22 inch carry on

no they are not space bags:
Those are bags i saved from buying window treatments, valances, curtains.... from LOWES of all places... but they worked, also bedding from target... bed skirts etc.

GAtorclaw, yes you can take the laptop and the 22 inch as carryon

Old November 7th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm sure glad I don't have to fly; it's about a 4-hour drive to the Port of Tampa.

My wife and I are in Tampa right now, boarding the Miracle in just a couple of hours. We've got 4 big suitcases, 2 garment bags, and 3 smaller carry-on bags!

Pack light? Us? No way!

:-)

We figured, why bother? There's plenty of room in the car, people to haul your luggage to your cabin for you, and plenty of closet space in the cabin. So we packed anything and everything we might possibly need.
Old November 7th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Passenger

For me this isnt packing light its packing smart.... call me paranoid but i dont trust anyone with my luggage... to many stories of not getting it... and i dont have a very high limit credit card to go buy new stuf fincase it doesnt come... i usually board with a 500.00 limit ccard, this way i dont overspend...

Old November 7th, 2004, 02:44 PM
elationismyship

I agree, lost luggage is a pain but statistically it's highly improbable. I know those who have lost luggage this isn't of great comfort however, of the millions of bags daily the chances are you're luggage won't be lost. For those who are cautious, great, pack light (or smart ?) and tote you bags everywhere with you. For me, I'll take the chance and no back strain,
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Passenger

no back strain here mine has wheels and a handle and i tote it only to my room where it remains for 7 days, no difference in totaing apurse or video camera... some people dont want to bother for me to roll it down a hallway for 2 minutes is not an inconvienince, simply a less stress tool