Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:17 AM
hwireman

Default Pre Paid Debit Cards

Hi All

Hopefully some of you who have experience with this can help.

The debit cards that you can buy at the banks and put whatever money denomination on that you want...do these ALWAYS work in the Caribbean? I was going to buy them for some people who are joining us on our May cruise for Christmas and then for myself later on. But when I was in line to buy them at the bank I got to talking to another lady there who said she had a bad experience with them in the Meditteranean. Said the cards did not work and the bank kept refusing to honor them. When she got back to the US they worked. This was what I was going to buy so that I would not be carrying a mess of cash around but it looks like it might not be a good idea.

Have any of you used these on the cruise and the islands? Were there any problems?

Appreciate any and all feedback from you.
Heather
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Pre Paid Debit Cards

Heather, the only cash you need is for onshore expenses, so you won't need a *wad* of cash. You can keep your cash in your in-room safe until you need it in port.

I wouldn't count on these cards. We used our regular check/debit card successfully onboard (in the ATM machine), but never bothered with it in port.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:15 AM
hwireman

Thanks Dorothy

I have noticed you are always ready to import information to us on here when we need. You are a doll for all the help you give. Happy cruising to you.

Heather
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Well Heather, I sure don't have much info like all the "old salts" who have sailed waaaay more than I have, but I do know how meaningful it has been to me to get info on the boards. I'm more than happy to share my meager knowledge!

When and where are you sailing?

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old December 29th, 2004, 04:49 PM
hwireman

We are on the Valor Group Cruise for Singles and Couples on Mother's Day, May 8th, 2005 out of Miami on the CCL Valor. Can't wait to see the reviews and info start pouring in about this ship. So excited.

Heather
Old December 29th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

hwire;
Debit cards are becoming more widely accepted but nothing is guaranteed, especially outside of the U.S. Some prepaid cards can only be used at certain locations, such as some American Express and Visa Gift Cards.

I would advise either having a standard Visa card. The commercials are true, it's accepted worldwide. The next alternative is a Visa Debit card, attached to your bank account, from a major bank. Visa cards are the mostly widely accepted with Master Card and American Express after that.

As Dorothy said, cash is a great alternative and so are travelers checks and ATM's.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 29th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Passenger

American Express now has a pre-paid card that you pre-order. It is printed with your name on it, so it looks like the "real one". Go to their website for the details. You can put any amount on it.

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:59 PM
First Mate

Cruisemates

Hello Lady Heather,

From my Cruise this pass April ( 04) I ordered VISA Debit Cards from my Credit Union
and they worked great in the Caribbean

I concur with you LH , You are most excellent on getting information out Dorothy
Thanks

Mike M I can also say the same Thanks dude

ALIEEN I have got to try the A E card.....

Thank You
To the Cruise
Duke of the Z
Old December 30th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Yeoman

I didn't want the entire world having access to my bank account so I opened another "trip account". It's just a second account with the debt/visa card. I transfered money from my regular account into the trip account before the cruise and during (with a phone call). This way, if there's ever any illegal activities, stolen card or "oops" duplicate draws it won't come out of my main account. It keeps things apart.

Did I mention that I'm too much of a tightwad to pay interest on a real visa?

Post Edited (12-30-04 12:25)