Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Beginner

Default Carnival Destiny info

Looking for some info on the Destiny from any cruisers who have been on this ship. My DH and I are plannig a future cruise on the Destiny. Would like info on cabin selection, shore excursions, best time of year to go, etc. Also has anyone stayed in an aft balcony room with the larger balcony? Is it bumpier than being midship? Thanks in advance.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!

Post Edited (01-19-05 09:12)
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Carnival Destiny info

Hi I am cruising the Destiny with the family in April and went on the Victory (sister ship) last April. It was nice and well kept. It is a little hard to get around though. The stairways are confusing...I got lost a lot. Didn't stop us from another cruise. We were upgraded to balconies by surprise last year and they were nice (free robes for the vacation). When are you thinking of going?

We're from Mass too...Ditto - Go Patriots! (Only 3 months til the Red Sox opener and world series rings!!) Cannot wait for that.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

I just returned from the January 14th, 2005 Destiny sailing out of Aruba (The Destiny picks up passengers there, too--mostly Germans, Dutch, and South Americans of various denominations). I had a dining table in the Universe dining room very near the stern. We had a splendid view but it was indeed bumpier than midships. If a bumpy cabin concerns you, you may want a stateroom elsewhere on the ship.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

I always book midship cabins. It is a better ride!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Passenger

We went on the destiny in 12/04 and we had a balcony cabin midship and it is wonderful. But I will warn you if you get a balcony once that's it. I did my first cruise so this one on the destiny I got a balcony gty b/c that is the only cat of cabin I would of been happy with.
Gina
Have a great time it's a great ship with an awsome intinerary.

Old January 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

WE were upgraded to a balcony last spring by surprise and are hoping for another one this time around. It was nice but with two going off to college in the fall we aren't going to pay for it if we can help it. What did you do in Aruba? We want to do a jeep tour there.
Sylvia
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:59 PM
nigel

Choose a different ship better still a differrent cruise line. The Destiny is a tachy dirty ship. I walked on the ship in Puerto Rico and it lookked like some tachy (and I mean 70's real bad vegas tachy). I should have turned around and walked right back off. We asked for directions to our cabin, but nobody spoke english and these were the welcoming committee. Eventually we found our cabin HMMMM what can I say? well there was soda cans in the closet, the carpet and duvet had cigarette burns, it smelt bad, the shower was blocked (I fixed it, I pulled a huge clump of hair from the drain), it took 3 days for them to change a light bulb, the towels had hair and sand in them.

Now for the entertainment, its as good as the rest of the ship.

If you have any complaints,call Carnival when you get back. They will sound soooo shocked and tell you they have never had a complaint and ofer you a $50.00 on board credit and a bon voyage pen set for your next cruise. Thanks but no thanks, I'll go buy a Bic pen from the store and spend the rest of my life wondering what I would have used that $50.00 on board credit for.

Never again.
Old January 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carnival Destiny info

We just got a private tour of the island I didnt plan anything there. But next time in 06 we will either do a jeep tour on our own or an atv tour. They both looked fun.

Old January 24th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Passenger

Oh sorry you didnt like the ship. Did you like the ports? Guess to each his own.
gina

Old January 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have heard more good than bad about the Destiny. It is cheaper than other cruise lines for the S. Carribean and we have never had a problem with Carnival. I am sure I will have a good time. We've been on the SEnsation, Paradise and Victory the last three years. How about you Gina? Is this your first cruise?
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Passenger

Nope it was my second one and second one with carnival. I choose cruises for the itineraries. This one was the greatest and while I am sure other ships and cruiselines are great I think I'll stick with what I know and until I am not happy will stay with what I know. I thought the ship was nice but I like vegas haha. I always think that a person makes his or her vacation and I do not let one or two things ruin or make me disregard the whole vacation. I realize that sometimes things happen but to let that ruin my whole trip nope I am on vacation and there are lots of people home working.
Gina

Old January 25th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Passenger

I was on the Jan 9th sailing and had a great time. I didn't find anything tacky on board. I loved this cruise and would recommend it to anyone. I was on the Riviera deck midship and hardly felt any rocking in my cabin, however when in other areas I felt the ship rocking. I just want to add that we did the Whale watching tour in Dominica and it was worth every penny we paid. We saw a total of five whales two of which came very close to the boat we were on. In Aruba we did the Town and Country tour and it was O.K. The landmarks we visited were great, but the guide and tour was a bit boring. Next time I go to Aruba will rent a jeep. We didn't rent a jeep because we were traveling with family members in their 60's and they wanted the comfort of a tour bus. The waiting staff in the Universe were very friendly and provided entertainment every evening. Overall great experience and husband and I are planning to go on the Glory Western Carib. for Jan. 2006.

Victory 01/23/2011;-)
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am sure we are doing the jeep safari but we are booking on our own. It is much cheaper to do it on-line. It is a blast. How much was the whale watching and did you book that through Carnival? Let me know Thanks so much!
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:31 AM
iceman

I just returned from the Destiny on Jan.23/05. I have no complaints about this ship or any crew. I read many reviews on different ships before going and read many positive but also many negative reviews. I usually go to an all inclusive resort every January but opted to try a cruise this year. Let me tell you, the service I recieved in the Dining room, the bars, cabin stewardand pursers office was EXCELLENT. When I read about all the complaints people air out here, it nw makes me think what kind of personalities are we dealing with. Being in a sales and marketing position I deal with all different types in the course of a week. My philosiphy is treat people like you would like them to treat you. I think many times to often people get on to these cruise ships and make demands of people that you know they would not like being made to themselves. The food was great, lots of different entertainment, never was bored a single minute. Rooms were extra clean. I have no complaints about my holiday aboard this ship. I even saw girls with wash pails and rubber gloves on scrubbing steps. How many of you big complainers would do that???

The ports of call where wonderfull. We did on own tours once off the boat. They are very easy to do in any of the ports. We took tours in St. Thomas and Dominica. We got a taxi in Barbados and had him bring us to Harrison caves and the the Boat Yard. That was a blast. Rented a jeep in Aruba and just explored most of the day then hit a couple beaches for a swim and a couple cold ones. If you are thinking of taking a holiday on this ship, I would not hesitate to reccomend this ship or the itinerary. I will post a complete review once unpacked. If you should have any questions, just post them on here.
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

What tour did you do in Dominica? I have already booked a jeep safari in Aruba but on my own not through Carnival.
Old January 26th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Passenger

The whale watching was about $69.00 per person. I 'm not sure exactly but close to that range. They provided rum punch , juice and water. The tour lasted less than the 4 hours that the tour description gives. P.S. make sure your feet are presentable because they make you take of your shoes.

Victory 01/23/2011;-)
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

After reading Nigel's complaint, I'm grateful for how clean and tidy my cabin was on my January 14th cruise on the Destiny out of Aruba. I was well looked after by Yositi, my cabin steward, despite my being down on Riviera deck. The floor, closets, and dresser were clean, so was the bath, there were no traces of the previous occupants in the drawers or under the beds, and I had clean, sand-free towels. Yositi and his able assistant kept up those standards for the remainder of my cruise.

I'd agree that lower standards of housekeeping are not acceptible and would report them.

Yes, the interior decor of the Destiny is gaudy, but the Destiny sailed to where I wanted to go and arrived at those ports early enough for me to go scuba diving in the Virgin Islands as well as at Dominica. That makes up for garish colors and hues that make old Miami Vice reruns look subdued.

I am a native English speaker. I had no language problems dealing with Carnival in San Juan and since I speak at least a little Spanish, I got around San Juan's old town and Aruba (also a place where a little Spanish is useful) just fine.
Old January 30th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Chari

Wow! I just returned on 1/23. I had a wonderful time on Carnival Destiny. I was on the main deck and my steward, Fonzie, was great. Seems like our cabin was attended to twice a day and I loved my little towel animals My only complaint is that there's great room for improvement when it comes to the dinner menu and the bedspreads are a bit worn. Other than that I enjoyed all the ports and was happy that it never rained except for St. Thomas. The majority of the employees were extremely pleasant and helpful. You will never be bored unless you choose to be -- there's something for everyone. The cruise director alone is a hoot!! I would definitely cruise on the Destiny again! I got my money's worth.
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Who is the cruise director? We are sailing in April. Glad to hear it was great.
Old January 30th, 2005, 08:01 PM
summer

I am also crusing on the destiny in april....cant wait
Old January 30th, 2005, 08:02 PM
summer

I am also crusing on the destiny in april....cant wait
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

April what??
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:33 PM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

Jorge was the cruise director on my cruise on the Destiny (January 14th out of Aruba).

My hat's off to him. He did a fairly good job. I wouldn't want to try and placate such a large number of often-fussy, occasionally rowdy, boistrous-at-times passengers who spoke at least four languages and were often neither courteous nor ontheir best behavior.
Old January 31st, 2005, 10:01 PM
iceman

maynovmom;
When we arrived in Dominica we just went out to the front. There had to be 30 or more guys there offering you tours. We spoke with a few and settle on a guy. His name was Michael. His nick name though was Master Blaster. For $20.00 per person he took us to Trafalgar Falls, Emerald Pool and to a beach. We also stopped at Mr. Nices fruit stand. There we had fresh coconut, pineapple, bannas and other local things. They also had a machine they put the sugar cane in and squeezed the juice out of it. He also stooped along the way and showed us other points of interest and thier national park. You could never get that tour on the boat for that price. We were to be 4 hours but we where well over 5 hours and he still wanted to take us around. The guy was fantastic. We did not book a tour through carnival at any port. It was so easy to do it on your own once you got there and alot less expensive. You will enjoy this cruise.
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

I just booked a jeep safari on-line on my own for Aruba. The price difference is incredible and they are areputable company. Was the Dominica tour in a bus or what? Do you just stop and look at the sites or do you walk around, swim etc...? It sounds like a great trip.
Old February 1st, 2005, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Can anyone suggest how to do the Harrison's Cave tour in Barbados without booking it through Carnival?
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:07 PM
iceman

You do quite a bit of walking at the falls and the pool. We went to a beach with very black sand for a swim and beers. Much better and less expensive to hire your own driver.

We went to Harrison caves in Barbabados. We rented our own taxi to go then had him drop us off at the Boat Yard. Again close to half the price the ship will charge you.
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:06 PM
cindy kramski

did anyone stay on upper deck cabin balcony 6138 wondering if our freinds in the next room will be able to get back and forth by balcony.i read on some ships the divider can be taken out by room steweard...also im not sure if this is in the front or mid section of ship...any help would be greatful thanks..sailing5-15