Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Captain

Default Nassau dolphin swim

We will be on the Glory in November and there are 6 of us. 3 want to do the dolphin swim, which is NOT offered by Carnival for an excursion. What are our options for transportation to the Blue Lagoon if we have the SWIM for 3, and 3 that just want to go to the island, Also if we do the Encounter instead thru Carnival, we all want to go to the island but only need to buy 3 excursions....how will that work? They do offer an Blue Lagoon excursion which 3 of us could buy, but would we all get to go over at the same time and on the same ferry or boat?
Any ideas and info appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Nassau dolphin swim

I've researched this because I'm doing the swim in September as well.

You have to book the dolphin swim directly with Dolphin Encounters. The cruise lines only offer the encounter. Transportation to the island (the boat ride) is included in the price of your excursion. Anyone that just wants to observe can get a ride on the boat for $20 pp including both ways. If they are already on the island it's a $5 fee to watch.
I hope this helps. Check out thier website www.dolphinswims.com it has all the info you'll need. Probably.

Celebration--Bahamas

I belive in unicorns, dragons, good men and all mythical creatures.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

We did this excursion when we were there in April 2004 and I can honestly say it was one of the best things we have ever done. My kids are still talking about it and watching the video. You'll have a great time!

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Nassau dolphin swim

Darcy when they did the video for you do they mail it to you later or do you get it that day? How long was it? Is it personalized with mostly just you on it or is it just a general video of your whole group? I can't decide if we want to fork out the money for the video or not.

Celebration--Bahamas

Old January 20th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Captain

Darcy, did you guys do the Swim or the Encounter? And did you book it thru the ship or on your own?
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Captain

Also does anyone know the times that are avail during the day. The web-site does not show that info.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Admiral

We did the swim. I did see a group of people doing the encounter. They get into water up to their knees and the dolphin swims by them. They get to touch it, get a kiss. In the swim you actually get into the water with the dolphin and there is a lot more interaction. I would definitely do the swim over the encounter. When we were there some people who booked the encounter wanted to change to the swim and couldn't as the group was full. I booked on my own through shoretrips.com. The swim wasn't available through the ship. Just the encounter. It was very easy to get to. I took a taxi to Paradise Island and picked up the boat transfer to Blue Lagoon.

The video is of the whole group and isn't personalized. They have it ready in the gift shop right after your swim. It's about half hour long. They put some background info on it and some dolphins doing tricks and then your swim. As I recall it was $50. I bought that and a bunch of pictures. If you have someone going with you that isn't doing the swim and has a video camera you can tape it on your own. You can also bring an underwater camera and take your own pictures. We did that in addition to buying the ones there.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to shanenstac

Hello. I saw on the dolphinswims website they the ferry leaves at 8:30, 10:30, 1:30 and 3:30. Which one did you take? I'm just curious, because I want to do the swim, which means not booking thru Carnival-I don't want to be late getting back & missing the ship. Were you rushed or did you have enought time? How long were you in port? Thanks in advance!
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Captain

I too am worried about the time if we do not book it thru Carnival. We are only in port from 8:30 A.M. till 2:00 pm. Not much time to spare.
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Joie-when are you cruising & what ship?
I really want to swim with the dolphins! The time frame is the only thing i'm concerned about.
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Admiral

I did the one at 1:30 in the afternoon, but we were in port overnight. If you're leaving port at 2:00 you need to back to the ship by 1:00. The only time I would consider would be the 10:30 one.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Darcy! One more thing-how long was the excursion total (from the time you got on the boat until they dropped you off)? Sorry to be such a pain, but I really, really want to do this, but I DEFINETEL don't want to get left behind.
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Admiral

It was about 2-2 hours. We spent quite a bit of time on the island and in the gift shop (my kids love gift shops!) and as I wasn't under a time constraint we stayed longer than some others did. It takes about 20 mins to get there, you have an orientation, you're in the water with the dolphins for 30-40 minutes, get out, get dryed off (bring dry clothes with you), into the gift shop if you want to buy pictures and/or video, then back to the boat. Once you're back to the ferry terminal there are taxis right outside so you can get back to the ship easily. It about a 5-10 min taxi ride. Nassau is a docking port so you won't have to tender back to the ship.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Nassau dolphin swim

How much were the taxis to and from the ferry terminal? Do you think the video was worth the money? Was it professional looking or just like a home movie?

Celebration--Bahamas

Old January 21st, 2005, 07:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the info Darcy! I really appreciate the help! I think if I book the 10:30 excursion I will have time to get back to the ship.
Old January 21st, 2005, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Tasha

Taxis were $8-$10 each way. Check before you get in. Some are higher than others. The beginning part of the video is pretty professional. When they get the group swim it become more like a home movie. I didn't have anyone there to videotape us so I bought it. My thought was that we're only going to do this once and we're on vacation. I tend to be a picture and video junkie and buy a lot of those over trinkets. My family enjoys watching the videos from our vacations and looking at the pictures and kind of reliving the trip. A couple of weeks ago the kids had that one out, the one of our sea lion swim in Cozumel, the helmet dive, the sting ray swim, the ones we've taken. They spent a snowy Saturday watching the videos and looking at pictures and had a great time doing it. They kept calling me in and saying 'Hey Mom, remember this". If you're the type that may watch it once and then put it away I wouldn't bother. I would say the video gets watched at least once every couple of months at my house.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:02 PM
Captain

Shane.....we are on the Glory, Nov 12th - 19th. Being that we are only in port 8:30 to 2:00, we may not be able to do the swim. I am afraid of booking it and then not having enough time. So we will probably book the encounter instead thru the ship and then we know we will be safe......disapointed though.
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Joie-we are on the glory may 14-21. i'm still considering the swim...i REALLY want to do this! i will let everyone know how the glory is when we return.