Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:29 AM
CherieS

Default shorts in dining room / sodas

I have asked a few Carnival reps ....... decent shorts ARE allowed in dining room except on formal nights. You CAN bring a reasonable amount of sodas onboard. Instead of everyone arguing on here, call the cruise line and see what their policy is
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: shorts in dining room / sodas

CherieS,

Yes, you can bring your own soda and water on board, we always do.

I don't know if the Carnival Rep. you talked to understood your question but, YES shorts are allowed in the dining room EXCEPT for the DINNER meal. They even print this information every day in the Capers. We have seen men of all ages turned away on every cruise trying to get in during the dinner meal. Think of the dinner meal as a fancy restaurant at home.

familycruiser, Our sons (then 5-15) always wore a nice pair of Dockers then changed for the rest of the night AFTER the dinner meal. It gets chilly in the dining room so they were glad to have pants on, even in the Caribbean and Hawaii.

I don't see why we get on this subject every few weeks. What is so bad about getting cleaned up and wearing pants to dinner? If you don't want to, feel free to eat at the buffet or have pizza.

EVERYONE: The following information is direct from the Carnival website in the FAQ. SEE THE LAST SENTENCE.

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Enough said....It says NOT PERMITTED. This is not a suggestion it's their rule. Everyone knows this before going on a cruise and should pack accordingly.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Passenger

I wouldn't really call it arguing. This is a friendly discussion forum. Anytime I want information, I goto the FAQ's. You can find out just about anything there you don't have to worry about miscommunication between you and an agent if you see it for yourself in actual words.

Trust me, the maitre'd is not going to care who you spoke to when he's denying you access to his dining room.

Carnival Sensation - June 1995
Carnival Sensation - July 1996
Carnival Destiny - June 1999
Carnival Glory - May 2004
Carnival Valor -
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:36 AM
FoleyJoe

If anyone thinks they will never say anything try the Triumph late Feb last year about this time. A couple showed up on a non formal night looking a little ratty and the guy at the desk very very nicely asked if they were looking for the lido
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Passenger

While this debate is fun and amusing, my take on it is rules are rules. And, they offer other dining options if you don't like their rules. Personally, I have to pack 5 extra articles of clothing (khaki pants) in addition to my Khaki shorts I normally wear. But for me, I'd rather be in pants in the dining room than shorts at the buffet. That's their rule and my choice. Feeling or looking ratty or clean has nothing to do with it.

Carnival Valor -
Old February 18th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Cruisingrandma

This post has been run into the ground hasn't it? I guess We all have to do what we have to do. I for one follow rules..... Some don't. Think about telling the police officer that its a even day i thought we could speed on even days..... Not really different then wearing shorts on non formal days. Rules r not made to be broken. i wish the cruise lines would really crack down harder on the dress codes. Happy cruising......
Old February 18th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Admiral

There is not debate on this. The rules are quite explicit and polainly stated in the daily paper. Shorts are allowed in the main dining room ONLY during breakfast and lunch. During the evening meal casual attire is the dress code except on formal nights. It is noted that "Shorts are not permitted". This rule is only relaxed on the very first day as some people may not have received their luggage prior to the evening meal. This has happened to me only once in 24 cruises. The other exception is in certain ports where the ship remain past the dinner mealtime they usually allow shorts. Other than that anyone over the age of around 6 should never appear in the main dining room in shorts, period. The Maitre D' will not give a toot that your carnival rep told you you could either. It is not the 'fashion police' either, it is just plain good taste and resect for others to follow these rules. If you wish to eat in the buffet, fine, they have much of the same foods there and you can wear shorts. In the main dining room, you should have the good taste to dress accordingly. I am NOT trying to get a discussion going on this or praise or degrade anyone that thinks otherwise. This is just the way it is and should remain just as the sun comes up each morning.
Jim

Old February 18th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Passenger

When I said debate, I was talking about the part where everyone was talking about how you should dress and looking and feeling good about how you dress and the practicality of the rule. My point is the same as yours, the rule is the rule and there is no debate about that.

Carnival Valor -
Old February 18th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Admiral

I understand that Chris and agree. The problem seems to arise when folks say "it's my vacation and I'll dress as I want" or "I wear a tie at work so I want to wear shorts on vacation", etc. I have no problem with them feeling that way. Unfortunately for them, cruising is not the vacation they are looking for unless they are doing the Windjammer thing. There is a proper dress code during the evening hours and that is just the way it is. You may be comfortable running around your house in your underware but you can't do that at a bed and breakfast can you? <>
Jim

Old February 18th, 2005, 07:03 PM
CherieS

My one pair of pants I will pack will look ratty by the end of the cruise, my 10 pairs of shorts will look very nice. I would rather eat in the buffett than a room full of perfect people cause I am not perfect, I am human. Every conversation in here is repeated over an over not just scum us dressers
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

This is ridiculous. It's really a moot point, but......

The dress code is clearly spelled out in all Carnival brochures, on the website, and in the "Welcome Aboard" brochure you receive w/your docs. And if that's not enough, the dress code for each evening is announced in the Capers.

If folks don't want to follow the rules set forth by Carnival (not the "fashion police"), they should go to the Lido Deck buffet for dinner. That's what it's there for. Simple.
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oh, about the soft drinks.......Of course you can bring them on board. Carnival says "a reasonable amount" is allowed.