Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Houstonathome

Default Carnival Victory, Should I be concerned?

We are scheduled on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean Cruise on the Carnival Victory on Nov. 13, 2005. We just returned from our first ever cruise a few weeks ago which was Explorer of the Seas/RCCL Western Caribbean. We loved it!!!

I found this great website and I have been reading the reviews of Carnival Victory and they are a bit concerning, to say the least! should we change to a different ship? A different cruise line? In particular I am concerened with the overcrowding past cruisers have described as well as the idea that the ship is quite unstable and only smooth in the most perfect of seas. Also, the staff seams to be a bit disgruntled, based on reviews. We are booked in to a Balcony room on the 6th Deck, very rear of the ship, if that makes any difference.

Would love any input you would like to share!
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Carnival Victory, Should I be concerned?

no concern. our last cruise was on the victory and it was wonderful. in three weeks we will be on the valor. have a great time on the victory.
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Passenger

I wouldn't worry. I've been on the Victory three times, once in gale force winds and very rough seas off the coast of Canada. Ship is very stable.

She's one of the biggest in the fleet.

I'd gladly sail on her anytime.

Enjoy!!!

Victory - 2003
Inspiration - 2004
Victory - 2004
Glory - 2005
Holiday - 2005
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM
BoosterMom

We're on her late Summer and were concerned. Many posts indicated that any previous problems that "might" have existed evidently have been cleared up. We feel good enough about reading all the "good" posts that we're not changing our cruise. Remember cruise staff changes all the time. They only sign up for 9 month tours. If previous cruisers have filled out their comment cards and expressed displeasure with certain things, I'm sure Carnival will make things as right as they can and obviously IF there were any problems, they've fixed them.
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Houstonathome

Default Re: Re: Carnival Victory, Should I be concerned?

Thanks so much for the input. We are cruise novices, this will just be our second, so its great to get perspective from the seasoned folks. I look fwd to hearing how your trip goes, if you get a chance, please let me know. The overcrowding concerns me the most as I dont want that "rat trapped in a cage, cant get to the buffet" feeling! HAHA.

Enjoy!

michelle
Old March 7th, 2005, 02:01 PM
BoosterMom

Houstonathome:

You know what I think is funny................we get upset when there is a line at the buffet.........there are only 3,000 other people trying to eat too! What I have learned to do though is at breakfast, when I get closer up like actually getting a plate.........if the line is being held up by people waiting on custom made omletes.......I now ask nicely if I may go around them. I used to stand there patiently and I figured "I'm not waiting on an omlete why do I just need to stand here.".................I am constantly amazed how a ship can carry that many people and you not feel cramped. I never do. I haven't been on the Victory before, just the Inspiration and Sensation whent the ships were totally full. The Victory is bigger and I never felt trapped on either of them. We always find our favorite places, the comfy sofas in some of the lounge areas, places on the decks to curl up with a favorite book. Now I will say, the pool areas will house a lot of people when the weather is nice. Don't let that bother you. There are plenty of umbrella drinks to go around! Just relax, learn the layout of the ship early so you don't find that perfect place you wish you had gone the very last day of sailing!
Old March 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Jill J

I have cruised on the Victory and everything was just fine. I think that you will need to go in to this with a positive attitude and an open mind however as Carnival is not the same as RCCL by any means. Again, I had a great time and the ship was clean, had good service, etc., just don't want you thinking that it is up to the calibar of the Explorer of the Seas.
Old March 7th, 2005, 03:28 PM
First Mate

I wouldn't worry HAH [HoustonAtHome] the Victory is good. You'll be sailing at the end of Hurricane season, which is roughly April to October, just that the Atlantic can be a bit rough, it's the nature of the ocean. I find most reports of 'crowding' are the result of 'seasoned' cruisers suddenly seeing all the rookies trying to work their way around. Oh yes, congratulations!! You are now in the ranks of 'seasoned' cruisers even if this is just your second cruise--you only get ONE cruise to be a rookie. Good point about scanning the line at the buffet and jumping around the omelet station. Another trick, so to speak, is to 'graze' the buffet. The Victory has multiple service stations. Smaller areas with cut fruits, yogurt, cereal, milk, bagels, muffins, pastries, coffee and juice. Don't try to get everything in one trip. Make several visits. Let the big lines shorten while you hit [graze] the quick stuff. As for your cabin......ummmm, yeah you're gonna feel some movement; though it should be modest, mostly an up and down. You're midship by 'deck' level but being in the stern......if the bow goes up the stern has to go down a little and then up as the bow goes down into a wave. It should be mild, I wouldn't worry. Enjoy, the Victory is a great ship, I really enjoyed my Jan. 2004 cruise. I found the staff to be a little rough around the edges, still feeling there way around. By now I would be very confident you'll find a very cohesive group that gets along and work as a great team.
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
DENISE H

my frist two cruises were with carnival i found the rooms neat and clean food was great and the show are enjoyable and we had a great wait staff bothe times i have always have found the staff to be friendly and helpfulll and they have great prices i canit wait to go on carnival again
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
patticake

we are on the victory in july with a family cruise of 11 people and five kids in the group. i was also concerned because of everything i have been reading. however i have be reassured that the victory is a great ship and we are going to go and have a wonderful time. how can it not be anything but wonderful, warm, happy and no work todo.
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:19 PM
BoosterMom

Hi Patticake! Reading all this good stuff about the Victory makes me feel better too! Marty is right about grazing. For lunch too, graze, the fruits and salad bar will be somewhere other than where the hot food is served..........Don't you just love to cruise!
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Houstonathome

Thanks again for all of the great input!

You know, as long as I can get a decent chair by the pool to peoplewatch, and a steady flow of tasty cocktails I will consider it a perfect vacation!

Life is good! Cheers!

Michelle
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:24 PM
BoosterMom

HAH, be sure to read all the post about "chair hogs" there are some great suggestions there about getting a good chair by the pool. As a seasoned cruiser now, you should keep up with this site to stay informed. Great bunch of people here. Another tip. Take a lanyard or buy one of those little neck wallets on the ship in the gift shop. The little Carnival wallets are big enough for a little cash for the slots, my reading glasses, my sign & sail card and the deck plan of the ship. No pocketbooks!!!!!!!! Evidently the Victory is so big, we may need that deck plan!!! The S&S card is for all those Drinks of the Day with the little umbrellas in them!!!!!! I've kept a running list of all the running suggestions people have made. Somewhere on Older messages somebody started a thread of things they took on a cruise that they were so glad they took and things they wished they had taken. I keep my list going, simple things list 2 way radios, shoe organizer to hang on back of the bathroom door to put stuff, brushes, hair spray etc. that maybe won't fit in the medicine cabinet, post it notes, you wouldn't believe some of the great suggestions. Maybe we need to start a new thread!!......Look forward to seeing you on this site.
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Houstonathome

Boostermom,

You are so in the know, thanks so much for your info!

Yes, the Explorer gave us first hand knowledge of the chair hogs. Funny how books and towels appear on chairs at daybreak only to remain empty until noon. Bummer!

I had read prior to that cruise that Explorer is known for a lack of chairs, and to expect the chair situation to be ugly, and it was.

Do you think Victory will be the same way? We have 3 at Sea days, and I love to people watch!

HAH
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:56 PM
KN

Shoe holder for bathroom door is a WONDERFUL idea used on my first cruise last year on the Conquest..This year it is the Victory leaving Oct.9..Hopefully not a bad hurricane season like last year..Conquest is a great ship hope Victory is as lovely.
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:15 AM
borntocruisejp

Houstonathome

If you enjoyed your RCCI voyage, you must get ready for a totally new experience with Carnival. In my opinion ther is a huge gap in quality & service. We loved RCCI. We had a good time with Carnival. But there is a difference.. You will have to cruise both lines to make up your own mind. You should have cruised Carnival first before you were spoiled.

Hope you go with an open mind & have a wonderful vacation.
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:45 PM
JUGL11

I was on the Victory last summer. Let me just say that if it had been my 1st cruise, it certainly would have been my last. Fortunately, I know what a good experience a cruise can be - just not on Carnival. Meals were good, but entertainment was mediocre, environment was excessively smoky, staff attitude was very poor in general. Don't even get me started on the disembarkation nightmare. The crew was not at all helpful during that process. They seemed to disappear, reflecting Carnival's apparent lack of concern for passenger safety & welfare.

If it's not too late, try switching to any other cruise line.
Old March 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM
First Mate

Hmmm, amazing how ones perception of things can be different. I would have written the exact same things you did [borntocruise] only I would have switched Carnival with RCCL. I've done three Royal's and about ten Carnival. It's been my experience that the wait staff on Royal in their attempt to be jovial tend to be a bit intrusive commenting on table conversations being carried on by people at the table. Sometimes a funny comment or statement but slightly unnerving to think someone is eavesdropping on personal conversations.
Old March 9th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla

Wow, justtttt when I think I am safe to go on Carnival...JUSTTT JOKING..man it does make me nervous though being that Oct 30th is my first cruise ever..and on the Victory.
BUT every time I hear a bad comment about it. 3 4 5 good comments are made, so I am still feeling ok about going on the Victory...anyone else going on oct 30th???

Old March 10th, 2005, 12:21 AM
borntocruisejp

Marty, like I said " this is my opinion". I also told Houstonathome he would have to decide his own mind. We all have diffenent opinions & you are entitled to yours.
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Admiral

The more you cruise the more you realize that ships have more in common than they do differances. CCL and RCI are pretty interchangable with "generally RCI having better service and prettier ships and CCL having better food, entertainment and regular cabins". This is by no means carved in stone and you might have what you think as a really poor cruise while at the same time someone else has a wonderful cruise at the same time on the same ship. I feel like it is the crew you interact with that makes much of the differance overall. We try to interact with many of them and not just those assigned to our cabin or dining table which gives us a better and more objective overall view we think. As has been pointed out, crew change all the time so the ship also changes all the time. One can only predict very generally what you 'might' find onboard any one ship. This is the reason why people Like Anne Campbell are here to write the professional reviews and they stick to the overall ship personalities and expectations and not the day to day ot cruise to cruise ideals like the rest of us. Personal reviews are very helpful but none are carved in stone that you will have the same experiance.
Jim

Old March 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM
ssletscurise

I agree with Jim. Let me tell you about my cruise with my "adult family". We were aboard the Costa Atlantica in Jan. to celebrate by parents 50th anniversay. There were eight of us. My parents have been on numerous cruises before including Costa (their 6th time). The rest of us have either cruised a few times before or this was the first time. At any rate we all are different ages and have different experiences. I was amazed that my parents thought this was the best cruise yet. I didn't care for it and neither did the rest of us. My expectations were much higher. I thought the food was terrible and so was the service. The cabin was very nice. I only liked the shopping consultant on board otherwise I thought the rest of the staff left a lot to be desired. Their housekeeping supplies we left in the hallway 24/7. On Carnival it has been my experience that my cabin was magically cleaned (haha). I never saw vacumn cleaners laying in the hall etc.. I think that CCL is more my cup of tea. We all have different opinions and that is why there are so my cruise lines and different ships. No one will ever please everyone all of the time.
Happy Cruising
ssletscruise

Miracle, May 22, 2005- 72 more days ya who!
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:22 PM
borntocruisejp

houstonathome, I hope you have a wonderful cruise on Victory. I did not mean to discourage you. Just wanted to let you know there is a difference in RCCI & Carnival. I do not know you, your age group or your culture so I cannot predict you which cruise line you will prefer. Just go planning to have a great vacation & you will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Houstonathome

borntocruise:

No worries, your msg wasnt discouraging, just honest. From perusing the postings it seems quite a few cruisers are apprehensive about the Victory so I appreciate everyones insight and experiences. We are early 30's, love music, great wines with dinner and cockatils with Malibu Rum! Sounds like a cheesey singles add, haha! Explorer was great, but Im looking fwd to trying a diff cruise line. We couldnt pass up the deal we found on Victory for a balcony, etc. So we will see if you really do get what you pay for...yikes!

Have you cruised Caribbean Princess...anyone?
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:06 PM
borntocruisejp

Houstonathome, No, you do not seem like cheesy singles, did I get that right? We are mid 50s & love the night life, special drinks & each other. We just love to cruise. We have been married 35 years & have been half way around the world together. We plan to see the rest of the world, one cruise at the time, if time permits. Happy crusin'.

jp
Old March 11th, 2005, 05:14 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival Victory, Should I be concerned?

Dear Houstonathorn,

Please don't be discouraged by the reviews. I myself, went on the Victory last November 28th and did write a pretty poor review on the ship as it was how we actually found it (see Maureen Tollington review).

However, this was our PERSONAL finding having travelled with Carnival back in 1996 and 1998 and then RCCL in 2000.

For us, Carnival (or maybe just the Victory) had deteriorated very much so from our last cruise on the Inspiration in 1998.

As other posters have said, the crew do change and maybe by the time you travel on the Victory it will be a fresh and new crew.

having a balcony cabin, you will really enjoy that and the ship itself is far more lavish than the Celebration and Inspiration that we travelled on.

Just keep it in mind that all cruisers have different experiences and as this is a Forum for people to advise others, it is only fair for past cruisers to be honest when writing up their reviews.

The staff/crew were very tired and sullen when we travelled. I hope that when you go they are renewed and refreshed and nobody would be more pleased than me to be able to read future reviews of the Victory which are positive.

Best regards,

KG
Old March 12th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Passenger

As long as the engines work you should be fine. CCL has rerouted two ships in the past 3 weeks due to problems with the Engines. Glory and Ecstasy. CCL's attitude in the case of the Glory was totally unacceptable. Be Careful with CCL.
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:12 PM
First Mate

Totally agree Borntocruise and Mr. Bragg with your points, comments and observations. If anything I was remarking to myself just how it is a thing of 'opinions' when it comes to evaluating any cruise line or ship. I had a unique situation occur once that had me cruising on the Paradise twice in three weeks--long story. One would think I had entered the Twilight Zone because the ship and staff were like Jekyll and Hyde. The first trip was superb. Two weeks later and it almost became my worst ever trip. It's true--Ship happens!! Over the 25+ trips I've made on five different lines the best thing I ever learned was to stop making excessive comparisons of one ship to another and learned to appreciate the unique differences of each cruise line. It's made every cruise a 'winner' {well, o.k. with the one possible exception of my cruise from hell story, lol} and I can even joke about the one that wasn't. I've learned being open and realistic in my expectations, based on 'my' experiences, makes cruising the 'only' vacation for me.