CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   I like pre paid tipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/202577-i-like-pre-paid-tipping.html)

Trisha Wisteria March 9th, 2005 08:58 PM

I like pre paid tipping

I'm glad room service and tipping at the Supper Club is also included. I'm going to assume it does anyway, sisnce it doen't state otherwise.

The olny exceptions in this ALL INCLUCIVE TIPPING policy posted on the Carnival website reads:

Bar Waiters, Deck Stewards and Bell Boys - Certain personnel, as noted above, may be tipped as service is rendered. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received.

Not a WORD about the Supper Club or Room Service. You don't get what you don't ask for. When I read ......... " For our guests' convenience, we automatically add the recommended gratuities to the onboard Sail & Sign account on embarkation day."

To me that means they have added what they reccomend. I see no reccomendation for Room Service or The Supper Club. Am I just missing it? Is $2--$3 per room service delivery anywhere in the documentation? Or special "recomended" tipping at the SUpper CluB?

cali-croozer March 9th, 2005 09:02 PM

Re: I like pre paid tipping

The gratuity at the supper club is included; Carnival states that somewhere (brochure?....not sure, but I've read that). As far as room service, it's customary to tip $1-$2 each time you order.

cali-croozer March 9th, 2005 09:07 PM

FOUND ON CARNIVAL.COM (FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS)

What is the Nouveau Supper Club?

The Supper Club is an intimate restaurant that accepts reservations for when the guest chooses to dine for dinner between the hours of 6:00pm-9:30pm. Reservations are made by telephone from the guest's stateroom. This is an alternative to eating in the Dining Room or the Lido Restaurant. The Supper Club features prime steaks.

The reservation fee is $25 per guest, per entree. This fee includes the wait staffs' gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion. The reservation fee does not include any beverage that is normally ordered through the bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water. There is nightly entertainment during dinner such as a cabaret singer or duet along with a large dance floor. There is also a cooking display area where guests can watch the chefs prepare their culinary masterpieces.

The dress code requires that men wear jackets.

cali-croozer March 9th, 2005 09:09 PM

FOUND IN CARNIVAL'S 2005-2006 BROCURE; "Things to know before you go"

In the Tipping Section: "Other personnel, such as Bar and Room Service Staff, may be tipped as service is rendered"

Trisha Wisteria March 9th, 2005 09:31 PM

But the point it to have it A LL taken care of automatically. That's retarded to just include this and that. Where's the EASE in that? Why don't they just tag another 15% on room service? I'm not bringing along a fat roll of singles just for room service. On the ticket it also says it's "so the gratuities can be distributed" how's my $2 to the room service get to another server? This policy is retarded. I've a good mind not to tip at all until they can come up with something to make it EASY and a no brainer to tip. Idiotic policy!

cali-croozer March 9th, 2005 09:39 PM

Not everyone orders room service, so why should they add more to everyone's account. There's no way to add another 15% to the room service charge because there is no charge. It's really not a big deal to put a stack of $1's in the drawer for when you order. Do you realize you'll need dollar bills to tip the porters who take your luggage at the port ($1 per bag). I'm not trying to make you crazy.......it's just how it is.

CA Cruiser March 9th, 2005 09:52 PM

Even though tips are included at the supper clubs or specialty restaurants we always add a few $ more because of the exceptional service. For room service we usually tip $1 per person unless its a big order because it is FREE!

getsemani March 9th, 2005 11:16 PM

I always thought that room service is not FREE. Isn't it paid for when you make that last payment?

As for the tipping. Everybody either eats their meals in the dining room, or buffet, but everybody eats, so everybody automatically tips, but not with room service. I've never ordered room service, and although it's there for the taking (so to speak) I would hate to tip for a service I didn't use. IMHO I think that it's easier just to tip whoever is bringing you room service at the moment service is rendered.

Caryn Anderson March 9th, 2005 11:45 PM

Not everyone orders alcoholic beverages either. But when you do, they automaticly add 15%.

Why should room service be any different. I tend to agree that, if they are going to imply the tipping is all automatic then it should be. All of it.

LisaK March 10th, 2005 07:43 AM

room service is not included in the automatic tipping, spa and/or salon services are not included, nor is bar service (that is automatically tacked onto to your bar bill) the reason being is that not every passenger uses these services.
Room Service food is included there is no extra charge.

Dorothy March 10th, 2005 11:52 AM

Hmmm...it does sort of make sense to include a 15% gratuity with room service just like with bar tabs, doesn't it?

And you will need a stack of 1's for all kinds of things - tips on shore excursions for cab drivers, porters, etc. It's not so bad - we just got $50 in 1's from the bank before we left - no biggie.

dorothy

cali-croozer March 10th, 2005 01:59 PM

Dorothy......but 15% of what, since room service is "free".

With the dollar bills, you can also go to the purser's desk to make change if you don't want to come on board with a "big wad". It's no biggie for us either.

Caryn Anderson March 10th, 2005 03:11 PM

Okay, maybe not 15% but how about an automatic $2 added to your sign and sail account?

I mean, seriously, isn't the whole idea of auto tipping to take the hassel out of it?

Why can't they just add a tip to any extras? Spa, room service, ect?

Obviously, passengers not using these services would not be billed. That's fair isn't it?

And in the spirit of making it easy?

SDRHR March 11th, 2005 02:48 PM

I have a question, but first off, I plan on tipping in cash In Addition to what is put on my card, But... we will be travelling with two teens that do not want to eat in the dining room.
My question is, "Can I remove the tips at the start of the cruise Just for the teens?-"
I plan on keeping the tips for all the adults (there are 6 of us) and if the kids do eat once or twice, we will put it on the card, but will it affect service? Will the staff be aware we took some off? Should I wait until the last night, and deduct how many nights the teens did not eat with us in dining room? Thanks,
S~

cali-croozer March 11th, 2005 02:54 PM

The tips are pooled together for all the wait staff; so it really doesn't matter that they won't be eating in the dining room. Also, if you remove their tips, the room stewards will not get their fair share.

Have they cruised before???? I ask, just because I have 2 teen boys who always eat with us in the dining room--that's where the best food is! They can get pizza and other things any time. Not telling you what to do; but, I think they'll miss out on some great food if they don't join you.

BoosterMom March 11th, 2005 02:55 PM

You know I had a question a week or so ago..........If you take the tips off at the beginning of the cruise, does the crew know you do and does it affect your service? Also, if you leave them on, does it affect your service? Folks say it doesn't................The crew evidently is provided a list of people who either leave tip on or take it off.................I just can't help but wonder if it doesn't affect the service. We leave the tips alone and add a cash tip for excellent service by room steward, etc. We also tip the room service person $1-$2 per delivery getting change at the pursers desk when needed.................It used to frustrate us to worry about keeping cash around and filling those little envelopes that last night. BUT then when you handed them out it was like Christmas bonuses!!

SDRHR March 12th, 2005 05:51 AM

Thanks for input- & Cali croozer= just to let you know... I would only remove the dining room portion of the tip- I Would Not rip off the room steward.
The $10.00 is distributed as follows: (as per my recently rec'd doc's!)
$5.50 Dining room staff
$3.50 Room Steward
$1.00 Other wait staff (Buffet, pizza, etc.)
Again, I was considering just taking off the dining room portion.
The teen boys are not liking the dining room option, same food on lido or room service, and that by the way is where their tips will go, wherever they Do Eat.
Thanks
S~

BoosterMom March 12th, 2005 08:09 AM

I wonder..........can you just take off dining room tip or if by removing that portion, do they just distribute less to everyone????

Diverbl March 12th, 2005 10:18 AM

Re: Re: I like pre paid tipping

Not sure I understand.... but if I read this correctly, you plan to remove $5.50 per day per each teen for the cruise, because they will not be eating in the dining room?

I think the tips do get pooled with the people in other areas, so I would tip the full amount for the kids. It really is not a great deal of money.

cali-croozer March 12th, 2005 12:45 PM

SDRHR...........just to let you know, while the lido deck does have good food, it is not the same as the dining room. And, on Carnival, room service is very limited. Yes, there are some good choices, but they are not really "meals". A tip for your teenagers is that the dining room menu for the evening is posted in front of each dining room. They can always check that during the day and see if there is something that appeals to them. Of course, whatever the choose they won't starve.......LOL

Marci Pan March 12th, 2005 06:33 PM

That's right cali and you can always order a steak on ANY night.

I, however, do no tipping at all. Because, as somone wise once said, " It really is not a great deal of money.", so why even bother?