Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Canada St.John/Halifax shore ex...

Hi everyone,
Anyone know about the shore trips for these, we go in June on the Triumph, there's a double decker bus in Halifax that's sounds fun for shopping, hop on and off, spend the day and a trolley ride in St. Johns, the girls want to shop and just mosey, nothing to involved and committed. Also maybe you know, when you exit the boat, are there shops and restaurants in walking distance, maybe a waterfront town to explore? thanks so much...81 days to go...Faith
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2005, 05:03 AM
JUGL11

Default Re: Canada St.John/Halifax shore ex...

In St. John NB, DO NOT get roped into their ride the rapids excursion. It's a boring rip-off. You can do an historic tour, see Martello Tower, etc. There's not much else there.

Halifax is a good city to visit, though. We took the Peggy's Cove trip, which we both enjoyed. After that I just strolled around the town on my own, taking in the sights. It was the 1st day of their Tall Ship Festival (July 2004) so the town was 1 big party. At one point I was walking along the harbor & spotted a juggler who was taking a break between sets. I walked up & introduced myself as a fellow juggler (amateur, but pretty good). He handed me 4 beanbags, which I proceeded to juggle successfully.

But enough about me. Halifax is a pretty cosmopolitan city, with lots of outdoor restaurants, funky little shops, etc. within a few blocks of the cruise ship dock. Have fun exploring!
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Canada St.John/Halifax shore ex...

Thanks so much, the shore trips are 39 +- per person and I just wanted to be sure they'd be what we were looking for and not trapped for the time with a group. We wanted to just explore the shops, get on and off ship when we choose, etc, maybe we won't sign up for any and enjoy the city like you say. When did you go? I think the fall trips are probably incredible, but the timing would'nt work for us, our oldest leaves for college in August. How's the currency work, do we need to exchange or maybe they take american...not worth much nowadays...thanks a bunch for your input, we can't wait, it's our first...Faith
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Canada St.John/Halifax shore ex...

I agree about just walking around town. I was there last fall for 10 days in a rented motorhome and toured Halifax on foot. Peggy's Cove is not much to see. Just a peninsula of rock with a lighthouse on it and some fabricated "coastal" homes set up as shops.

Where the ships dock you can walk around town and tour some old churches, shops, waterfront restaurants, etc. You can take the water taxi to Dartmouth.

Regards,
Thomas