Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM
StaceySch

Default passport time to get

With the new requirements going into effect this year, my family has decided to invest in passports. Do you know how long it takes to get an appointment and can you just walk in? How long does it take to get in the mail? We are going on a cruise June 26 and hope to have them prior to sailing.
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: passport time to get

Hi Stacey,
We got our passports last fall at our local main post office. We just walked in and applied. Before you do that, though, you need passport photos. We got ours at AAA since we are members, but many on these boards say Wal-Mart does good photos. The government is VERY picky about the photo (certain size, etc.).
You also need your birth certificate (raised seal, NOT a hospital BC) and a picture ID (Drivers License). They will take your birth certificate and return it with your passport. I didn't know this and was a little nervous about it, but it did come back.
It took about 3 weeks to get our passports. This was before the recent announcement about needing a passport to go just about anywhere, so it may take longer.
I would think there would be plenty of time before your cruise. If you are concerned you can pay a little more for faster service.
Check out http://travel.state.gov/ for more info.
Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 13th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello, Stacey

Fern is right about the passports. There are many post offices that are able to process your application. You just walk in and tell the clerk you want to apply for a passport.

My husband and me took our oldest daughter to get hers and we had to go to the post office the next town over because our local post office doesn't do passports. I just applied for a new one this past Monday at the county clerk's office. I paid $67 with a personal check made out to the U.S. Dept. of State, and paid $30 cash for the processing fee. It came out to $97, and yes, they keep your birth certificate and mail it back along with the passport.

I had my passport picture taken at a drug store for $8 a sheet, but you only need two 2x2 size pictures with a white background. The pictures must meet their requirements otherwise they won't be accepted by the agency.

I hope this helps.
Old April 14th, 2005, 09:48 AM
StaceySch

Default Re: Re: passport time to get

Yike they keep the birth certificate. that makes me nervous. I am going on Saturday. the cruise is June 26. Better have them back!
Old April 14th, 2005, 02:24 PM
suzys

we had ours within 3 weeks - might take a little longer since its going to be mandatory by the end of the year.
Old April 14th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: passport time to get

There is a mechanism for expediting the processing of your passports. If it were me, and I had waited until jost over 2 months to apply for my passport, I would take the expedited processing - it may cost more, but better to pay a little extra than not get it back in time. I suspect that processing times will be slower than normal right now because (a) it is busy season and (b) more people are applying as a result of the publicity about the policy changes that are being implemented.

I would not take a chance. Pay a few bucks more to make sure you get them back in time.
Old April 14th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: passport time to get

Stacy - what ship are you sailing on June 26? I'm on the Victory that day
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Go to this page. Has everthing you want to know about passports and what post offices.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Post Edited (04-14-05 15:21)

Carnival Valor Western Carribean 04/30/2006
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Most post offices offer photos and they are often cheaper than what you would get elsewhere. We were there on a Friday morning when the post office opened and didn't wait at all.

My husband went on a Saturday (much busier), but was first in line.

It took a little less than 3 weeks.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:26 PM
HeidiHo

If you are nervous about sending your birth certificates but have time, get 2nd copies of your BC before applying for the passports. That's what I am doing. That way I won't have to w/o them for a few weeks in case I need them. I was able to order mine through Vitalchek and got it in 2 days (I was born in another state). All I have to do for the rest of my family is go over to the county courthouse where we live because everyone else was born here. Our cruise is still almost a year away so I'm just going to order 1 passport at a time so I don't have to fork out so much money at one time.