Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Passenger

Default railings on the promenade deck, dangerous for small children

Just read the review about the valors railings on the promenade deck. is this the only deck with no glass between railings? are all carnivals ships laid out the same way? it seems like that would be a real problem for even small adults if they fell or somethng and lost their balance. have never been on a carnival ship but we are going this summer. is their a reason they have a deck where they would be liable so openly, on a ship where so many people travel with children. what would you say with letting kids who are 11 and 12 be near these areas with out parents with them every second? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: railings on the promenade deck, dangerous for small chil

I'd say no problem with kids that age. The railing are not that wide where a kid of around 6, 7 yrs old should fall through it. To my knowledge it has never happened in the past. A parent would be foolish to allow a child under that age to run around out of their sight or on an open deck. The 'kiddie' pool area even has netting or solid panel around the railings.
Jim

Old April 29th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Glass is only used on balcony railings. All PUBLIC outside decks on ALL ships I have ever sailed use the same sort of metal railings, divided with metal railings.

The exceptions are generally the main pool areas, which are enclosed on the sides, but these really have no railings at all. They are full walls.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Well, the NTSB disagrees with you as do many of us. Ships are designed by people pretty darn smart who are paid a lot of money to make them as safe as practical. Don't really with to debate it, You have every right to feel the way you do just as others have the right to feel the way they do.
Jim

Old April 30th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Nope.. I have never sailed Disney. I know FOR SURE Disney is not for me, so would never look to cruise on their ships.

But I have been on 42 other cruises, on many different ships and different cruise lines. So, if Disney is different, it's the exception, not the rule.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:04 PM
Admiral

I haven't been on Disney either but have been on Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and Holland America. I have never seen a deck railing of glass with the exception of the balconies and around the pool areas.

As far as the exact width between the railings, I have never been inclined to measure same but it would have to be a very small child that could fit through one. I would be far more afraid of a small child climbing up and falling over the rail than through it. Parents need to watch their kids whether on a ship or a shopping mall.

Family cruiser, If I may be so bold as to ask, just why is it that you always seem to be on the lookout to say something contrary to cruising, make negative statements about cruising and the cruise lines, the ships, etc. etc. Also, it seems that you just wait for someone on the staff to make a comment that you can pounce on if it's contrary to the way you see something. Honestly, is there any positive thing or things you could mention about cruising ? Just honestly curious.
Thanks
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:23 PM
Admiral

I agree that cruising is a great vacation ( That's why we do 2-3 a year ) and am also fresh off a 10 dayer to the Canal.

Thanks.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Listed below is my personal preference of the so called mass marketed lines.

( 1 ) Holland America, ( 2 ) Celebrity, ( 3 ) Princess. ( 4 ) RCCL and Carnival being, in my opinion, about equal. They give very good value for the money and in my opinion, are probably the best for families. This is only my opinion which, as usual , doesn't mean anything to anyone but me.

I don't travel with kids and choose carefully the adults I travel with. Some adults can be more of a pain in the posterior than kids. I am more selective in choosing a cruise now than a few years ago and don't book a cruise just for the sake of cruising. I look closely at the ports and also at the ship. In other words if the cruise doesn't necessarily go where I want to go and I am not crazy about the ship, I will pass. I like to go on new ships ( have the Carnival Liberty booked for Jan. ) but if the itinerary is something I am interested in, the ship doesn't have to be new. I don't cruise in the late spring or summer to avoid the throngs and loads of kids. I usually cruise in the fall and / or late winter. I don't worry about mechanical failures ( unless it's on a plane ) and don't worry about hurricanes. I figure the ships officers are on the ship same as I am and they probably wouldn't want to sail through a hurricane any more than i would.
I don't worry about the food, as generally it's good on all the lines. If sometimes I don't care for something, I know there's plenty more to choose from.
I don't fret the selling of photos, gold by the inch, or worry about bingo. If I want to buy something and the price ( to me ) is reasonable, I will buy it. If it's unreasonable, I pass and don't condemn the cruise line for pricing it to high. It's my choice.

I don't have to know the waitstaff on a first name basis. I don't care if someone forgets to make a monkey out of a towel one night or if I have to remind them I am waiting for my coffee. I am easy to work with and as a result usually get good service.

I am not a partier nor a party pooper. I like to relax and enjoy my time aboard ship and just as much, enjoy most of the ports. Obviously I like to cruise and hope to get in several more in the next 50 years.

That's my take on cruising.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: railings on the promenade deck, dangerous for small

Ron..you aound so like my wife and I. We have not had the ability to cruise as often as you ..about to go on our 9th , but we share your comments. I am pleasant to ship employees but no more interested in their personal lives than they are mine. I have never remembered any of their names and see no reason too. However, none of them have ever had to be concerned about me shafting them on graturiites either. We go to relax and enjoy each other's company. Thanks for putting our thoughts so nicely.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:38 PM
Admiral

I'd sail with you anywhere Ron. My kind of guy.
Jim

Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Cruisingrandma

I am not a person that dislikes children on a cruise or elsewhere. i am a grandma and love my little ones dearly. But I have always thought that the kids love disney vacations and camping vacations much better then a cruise.. My opinion of course. I would never take a child on a cruise. Then you see I never have to worry about the railings being to far apart for the child.... I can do waht I want to with out worry that the child is not at my side. and wondering where they are. I know they are at home being well taken care of.. I am on vacation relaxing.... happy cruising.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Folks, thanks for the " thanks " and I appreciate the compliment from Jim.
Happy sails to all who are now or will be upon the high seas.