Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Anthony Dorsey

Default Drinking on Carnival Cruise Lines

I'm 18, and im going on the ecstacy cruise line. I know I am underage and I know that even in international waters, they still do not sell alcohol to minors. I was wondering that when you try to buy drinks, say i have a fake ID and i look 23, does the card still show up that I am 18? If they ID me and my ID says im 23, but on the sail and sign card thing does it still say "Passenger age: 18"

Any help on this or how I am supposed to drink on this cruise would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
tb76

Default Re: Drinking on Carnival Cruise Lines

Nope! Not going to help you to drink illegal.
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Ricky Sr

Anthony, not sure if your sail & sign card reflects your age or not (minor). I do know that recently while cruising with my 23 yr old twin sons, they carded them just about in every lounge. There card didn't show there age. Ricky
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:41 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

The sail and sign card will come up "Minor" when they swipe it at the bar because it is attached to the date of birth in your cruise reservation.

My suggestion is if you want to drink, drink in port. If it's international/caribbean/mexico they will not card you at all.

Enjoy.

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 10/27/2007

Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 2/24/2008

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii Circle Cruise - Fall 2008

Past Cruises:
Grand Princess - W. Caribbean - Jan 2006
Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - Jan 2005
Radiance of The Seas - September 2006 - 14 nights R/T Los Angeles to Hawaii
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Anthony Dorsey

Default Re: Re: Drinking on Carnival Cruise Lines

So what if I bring some bottles of liquor or beer in my checked baggage? Will they know about that somehow?
Also I saw some guy say that if your bring beer that the ship does not carry, they are more likely to let you have it. What type of beer don't they carry?
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:47 PM
R. Ellingsen

I think you picked the wrong cruiseline to go on if you wanted to drink. Carnival's drinking age on the ships is 21. Had you picked Royal Caribbean it would have been a different story. The drinking age onboard RCCL is only 18 for beer/wine and 21 for the hard stuff.
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Anthony Dorsey

That doesn't answer my question.
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Big Craig

Carnival does allow beer/ wine for 18 and over, 21 for hard stuff
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Anthony,

I doubt you will find anyone on the board will want to help you break the law.

If you want to drink on board, have the adult you are going with buy it for you (after all, I believe that you have to be at least 21 to cruise without a parent or gauridian unless you are married, but I could be wrong), otherwise take advantage of the soda card and hang out and have fun. You don't have to get drunk to have fun.
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

Carnival doesn't allow Beer/Wine for 18+ where did you see that Big Craig?

From Carnival's Website:
Are there any age restrictions on board?

Drinking Alcoholic Beverages:
Guest must be 21 years of age or older to be served alcohol on board. Proper I.D. with birth date is required.

As for bringing it in your checked bags no one would know since those are taken from you at the port and delivered to your room.

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 10/27/2007

Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 2/24/2008

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii Circle Cruise - Fall 2008

Past Cruises:
Grand Princess - W. Caribbean - Jan 2006
Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - Jan 2005
Radiance of The Seas - September 2006 - 14 nights R/T Los Angeles to Hawaii
Old May 4th, 2005, 08:54 PM
rugbymike

Anthony,

If I were going on your cruise with you I would buy you many, many beers. Vomitous amounts. Unfortunately for you I'll be on the Miracle.

Sorry mate
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Your Sail & Sign card will tell them that you are not allowed to purchase alcohol. It simply will not work if they try to charge it which also means that a waiter cannot serve you anyway even if you tip him. I also will not tell you any ways that you can drink onboard as we will not knowingly encourage any improper or ollegal behaviour nor will we allow it on this website. Legal issues and all that. Basically what5 I can tell you is not to drink onboard the ship. If the port you are in allows you to drink, then that is your business and I will neither encourage or discourage you.
Jim

Old May 4th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Big Craig, Sorry mate, that is not true, You must be 21 years old to purchase or consume any alcoholic beverages on Carnival ships.
Jim

Old May 4th, 2005, 10:38 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Joe the Cruise King

Boo Jim

ccl triumph 5-7-05

2 days to go
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Well, if you really feel the urge to drink in the ports, go ahead, BUT I caution, being a young drinker, not to go overboard....try to space out your drinks and have something to eat too, crackers or whatever....when I first was able to drink at 19 legally in Wisconsin, I had wayyy too many and ended up getting REALLY sick!! That is no fun, let me tell you....

So enjoy in moderation, but only if legal....you have plenty of time in your life to be a drunk!! hahah

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ickletarakins

Just a note...I woudn't try to bring bottles of liquor or beer on board if you're not 21. They DO X-Ray your bags, and manyo f those machines can read labels...I talked to a woman at Carnival about this when asking about their policy on bringing wine on board the ship.

-Carnival Valor Western Caribbean Cruise, June 2005
-Sapphire Princess Voyage of the Glaciers Alaska Cruise, May 2008

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:39 AM
cruisinfan

If I'm not mistaken I think Carnival's web site states that you are only allowed to bring on wine or champagne and other non-alcohol drinks, so I guess bringing on beer and liquor won't work for you either.
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Why is drinking alcohol so important?

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Admiral

As familycruiser states, how did you book a cruise if you're only 18? Are you going with people over 25?

Also, why is drinking so important that you would risk getting into trouble over it? Maybe you shuld think more about just having a fun SOBER time instead of worrying about how to sneak drinks.

Old May 5th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Admiral

If he was 21 (legal drinking age) he would have gotten advice. Why should we give advice about drinking to an underage person? Especially one with a fake ID. What is sad, is how much he wants to drink on this cruise. So much so, that he wants us to help him plan how he can do this.

He wants advice, here it is--don't drink!!!!!

BTW--I don't have a lonely life and I am not bothering this "poor kid".

Old May 5th, 2005, 05:05 PM
MSCRUISE

I recommend you wait until you are 21 to drink! I'm sure the consequences of getting caught would outweigh the fun you might have if you consume alcohol. Besides, there's plenty to do on board besides drinking underage.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
forums_cop

wow...

"Frankly, when someone asks for help to do something illegally, don't they expect questions and lectures?"

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say no. It's NOT what anyone expects. They expect help, or no help at all. I don't know of anyone who asks for lectures and more questions.

I see lots of questions about bringing many bottles of wine on board. More than a bottle or two is against Carnival's policy and probably also against some kind of law regarding transportation of liqour. Even more advice on how to smuggle travel irons on board. Yet no one is getting lectures on these topics even though the latter risks our lives. I guess I'm confused as to the motivation of your objections. It's looking like breaking the law actually isn't the whole story.

I agree 100% that making drinking an important part of you vacation is not healthy. I also don't condone buying alcohol for minors. Not ever. The thing that worries me is that everyone feels the need to throw their 2 cents in about what this 18 year old should or shouldn't do. And even further on how he got on the ship in the first place. Why does this concern you?

That's my 2 cents. Keep the change.

--smarta$$
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Captain

There is so much to do and so much fun to have. Enjoy it sober so you'll remember what a good time you had!

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Easy Goer

Anthony,

As you see, you have pushed a few people's hot button with a simple question. My gosh, one poster even hopes you will fall overboard and die. Very nice.

You asked specifically about "in international waters", so there is no question of legality, despite some of the other responses. Drinking alcohol is not illegal in international waters regardless of age.

However, if you manage to get a drink in international waters without them selling/giving it to you, you will be breaking a Carnival rule. If I was 18 and wanted to enjoy a cold beer by the pool, I would try going to the pursers's desk and simply asking for the age flag on my sign and sail card to be removed. It wouldn't hurt to choose a specific young, cute agent, be well-dressed, well-spoken, smile, flirt, accidently leave some $ in your passport, etc. The worst that can happen is she says no.

Failing that, try to make friends with the captain and get his permission. The captains I've encountered have been very open and friendly, especially if you express a technical interest in "his" ship. Once he knows you and your maturity, he might well agree to let you drink -- or even have one with you.

Good luck,

Tim
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:53 AM
PLR7496

The drinking age is 21. Your sail and sign card does tell the bartender if you are of age. If you were to bring a very small bit of alcohol on board you may be able to drink it. If you were to buy beer or whatever in the ports you can't bring it back on board with you. If you were to buy Duty Free you get it at the end of the cruise. You do need to be 21 to bring it through customs. I would say if you would like to drink, drink at the ports before you get back on the ship.
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Hey Tim--great advice on how to break the rules. And what happens if someone should find out that this specific young, cute agent, adjusted his Sail and Sign card. Is it worth her job so he can break the rules? Do you think if he is "well-dressed, well-spoken, smile, flirt, accidently leave some $ in your passport, etc." he should be allowed to break the rules?

"Failing that, try to make friends with the captain and get his permission. The captains I've encountered have been very open and friendly, especially if you express a technical interest in "his" ship. Once he knows you and your maturity, he might well agree to let you drink -- or even have one with you"

The above is the funniest advice I've heard. Thanks Tim for the laugh. How does showing an interest in "his ship" make someone mature?

Old May 6th, 2005, 10:35 AM
cruisinfan

ok a whole new issue was just bought up about a travel iron, are you allowed to bring them or not? I bought one on my cruise last year, I didn't know you weren't suppossed to.
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Easy Goer

Cheryl,

I did not give advice on how to break the rules. My advice is clearly to follow the rules -- to get permission from Carnival if he wants to drink.

As an analogy, I stayed at the Marriott Marina in Ft. Lauderdale once. The checkout time at this hotel is 11:00 AM. This is the hotel rule: 11:00 AM checkout. I went to the front desk and asked the agent to waive that rule for me. She agreed. If she said no, I would have gladly checked out before 11:00. Did I break a rule by asking? Did she break one by waiving the checkout time? Would I be encouraging rule-breaking by advising others who want to check out later than 11:00 to ask?

(The answers seem obvious to me, but you brought it up.)

I never said being interested in the ship equated to maturity, only that it would give him a leg up on socializing with the captain. I said "once he knows you and your maturity . . ." If Andrew is mature, the captain will see it during this time.

Tim
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Irons are a fire hazard and prohibited. Plus Carnival has self service laundry rooms on their ships and you will find ironing boards and irons there. You can bring a clothes steamer, but no irons.
I don't see why anyone would go to the trouble to smuggle an iron on board, when they supply them for you and an ironing board.
Old May 6th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Admiral

You may not think of it as advice but you certainly, like others, gave him ideas on how to cheat the system.

Asking for a late check out time is much different than allowing an underage person to drink. Underage drinking is against the LAW not just against the rules. What harm could you do to yourself or others by staying past the check out time at a hotel? The underage person, or child in this post, could cause serious damage to themselves, others and the ship. Who would then be resposible for the drunk? Would you be willing to accept the resposiblity for underage drinkers? I know I wouldn't want it.

How about this--you have a party at your house, underage people drink, get drunk, drive home and kill someone. But it's okay because they "asked" you if it was okay to drink and you said yes. Don't say that you wouldn't allow them to drive because they could leave without you even knowing. I have seen too many underage drunks, some personally, either cause a fatal accident or cause serious injuries to innocent people.

As for the maturity issue, that's the way your post came across. interest in the ship=maturity here reread it-- "especially if you express a technical interest in "his" ship. Once he knows you and your maturity, he might well agree to let you drink -- or even have one with you." You should have typed it the first time the way you did when you replied to me. That would have sounded better.

The only issue I see in this entire post is a child is looking for a way to drink when he is not allowed to. Someone needs to be responsible for his actions. familycruiser made a great point in just how fast his parents/guardians would sue if something tragic happened. But as long as he ask permission to be a law breaker, thats okay. Good thinking. :o(