Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:00 AM
stacey sch

Default Cruise directors?

It seems like everytime I am on this board, cruise directors on ships are changing. Is this just Carnival? Does anyone have a current list of cruise directors and future changes that are projected? I am going on the Valor on June 26. I heard Josh is the cruise director. Now I hear it is changing. I am just curious.
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM
CherylR

Default Re: Cruise directors?

We just got off the Valor on Sunday and the CD was Brent Mitchell. Needless to say he was no John Heald, Mark Price,.... or Josh Riffe for that matter.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:53 AM
stacey sch

Oh well , we were hoping to get a good cruise director. But we lived through Carlo last summer on the Triumph. He was not too funny. Is this Brent staying?
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Keri Send a message via MSN to Keri Send a message via Yahoo to Keri

When I was on the Sensation in March, we had a lady named Shawn - she was VERY annoying..

Old May 10th, 2005, 11:26 PM
CherylR

I don't know if Josh is staying so you will probably get Brent or another fill-in. Brent is from Canada, young, with blonde hair and made a few wisecracks and jokes but was not the perky,funny, make-you-laugh-out-loud CD like we have had on previous cruises.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:07 AM
stalco

After reading posts on cruise directors, it makes me a little nervous. One of the reasons we quick sailing with RCC is the cruise directors. They can sure make a difference on a cruise. Is it too early to find out who is on the Spirit in December?
Thanks
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:51 AM
StaceySch

I don't let the cruise director ruin my vacation but it sure helps if they are funny and interesting! ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A CURRENT LIST OF CRUISE DIRECTORS!?
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:10 AM
kesha

does anyone know who the CD is on the Conquest and how are they? We are sailing on our honeymoon 7/3/05
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:43 PM
pHOTO

If you call the cruise company customer service they should be able to tell you that is what i did bob
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Scubarick Send a message via Yahoo to Scubarick

The Most Horrible Carnival Crusie Director is Marahscalh Stanton. I was on the Destiny about 3 weeks ago.....He is the most annyoing person employeed by Carnival...Half of the staff members I talked to could not stand him.....He tried way too hard to be funny.....I avoided Bingo one day becuase he was the Caller.....Not only was the staff fed up with him but so were many of the Passangers. But the Destiny has many very good Staff members so just avoid Marahscalh if your on the destiny.

Million thanks to David Little the Karaoke in the Down Beat Lounge, he is a great Karaoke host. Many really good comments durring Karaoke.

Rick
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Stacy,
Josh is taking a few weeks off but as far as I know is scheduled to be back oboard the Valor the 12th uf June. All cruiseline change the CD's a fair amount as they like to rotate them around for differant reasons, some of which are of course scheduling needs and to keep them sharp on ports and keep the rest of the staff sharp. There is also not a 'list' that they release and the scheduling is pretty much a secret to the general public as they do not want someone to schedule their cruise 'just' for the CD and then find out that a change was necessary for some reason that is or shouldn't be anyones business but the CD's or the cruiselines. If you know some of them pretty well then they often share with you when they think they will be on a certain ship or at least when they should be. <G> Quite often I know who is 'supposed' to be on a Carnival ship but even then you do not hear me say that they 'will' be there as nothing is for certain.
Jim

Old May 11th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cruise directors?

My good friend Michale Mullane is supposed to be onboard the Spirit in December. Him and Jeni are really great folks and you will love them. Say hi to them for me if you will.
Jim

Old May 11th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Kesha, Todd Wittmer is on the Conquest at the present time and should be there for your cruise. I'm sorry but I don't know him.
Jim

Old May 11th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Re: Re: Re: Cruise directors?

How do the cruise directors work? Do they bounce from one ship to another after so many months? Maybe, with luck, I will end up with one I really liked -- he was Stewart -- called him Steward Little.
cheryl
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Cheryl,
If I only knew! <G> They try to assign them according to desires but that always takes a back seat to the operational requirements. Some of the very senior CD's can pretty much name the ship(s) they want but even then they are sometimes told they are needed somewhere else. The typical CD works 10 months a year and off two. This is done with usualoly a four month contract and then a month off. If married they do their best to place them together or if they are involved with someone else. Again, this is not always possible but married takes precedance if at all possible. Seniority also has some to do with it. What they all do is work very hard and with it being a 24/7 job and most work 18 hours plus sometimes it does take it's toll. They are special folks and honestly really do appreciate a kind word every now and then. I know I could not do it without having homicide in my future. <G> You would not believe the things they have to put up with. I know one that told me about having to act as a marriage consouler for a number of days and actually saved the marriage! Funny but heartbreaking at the same time.
Jim

Old May 11th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I tell you what, I appreciate ALL those workers! Once I was on the ship when I was a teen and said......geez......this is what I want to do. After years of cruising and reading, I learned that jobs on cruise lines are not for everyone! They literally work their ass off and I bet do not get paid much for being away from their family for so long! One cruise I went on, was when the world trade center got hit. Well, the guy had a son or something working there and would not know if he were dead or alive for a long time. Yet, he continued his job and made the passengers enjoy THEIR vacation while enduring the fact that his son may or may not be dead. I never did find out before the end of the cruise. Day in and day out they make people laugh and enjoy -- bottom line is -- I appreciate them!
cheryl
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Passenger

Jim,
Any idea who will be on the Sensation the 13th of June? Not that it really matters, was just wondering. Thanks
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Annie Dudley

Kesha,

You'll love Todd, he was great! Have fun :o)

Annie
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:35 AM
StaceySch

Jim, Thanks for the explanation. That certainly clears it up why there are often changes. I appreciate your input.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Valerie Jeansonne

Does anyone know who the cruise director of the Holiday will be on 5/19?

Thanks for any info!
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'll tell you that one of the best CD's around is Larry Garlutzo (?). He was on the Ecstasy in November and kept everyone laughing but also let us know what was going on all the time.

I know he likes the Galveston ports (or so he says) so maybe he will be on one of those ships.

Old May 12th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Phil & Liz

Hey Jim Bragg,
Re ..."They are special folks and honestly really do appreciate a kind word every now and then. "

We whole heartedly agree! We really enjoyed our CD Chris Roberts on the Elation October 04. He was the one who arranged the moment I made my proposal to Liz at the Capt's cocktail party.
Throughout the cruise he was always funny, helpful and very visible all over the ship.

We really hope to pick a cruise with him as CD again.

Phil & Liz
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruise directors?

Tman, It should be Greg Hutson
Jim

Old May 13th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Valeria, I am sorry but that one I don't know. It may be Steve Cassel"s asst as Steve is supposed to go on a 5 week vacation the week before your cruise.
Jim

Old May 13th, 2005, 07:57 PM
debra

Steve Cassel was the CD on Holiday in mid-March of this year... funny guy... but the CD when Holiday began cruising out of Mobile was one of the funniest I've ever seen... Paul Shandley?? I'm a little unsure of the last name. He had everyone in tears he was so funny!
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Admiral

That would be Paul Santley and he is now on the Fantasy through August and after a little vacation of five weeks is supposed to return to the Fantasy and shold be there until March from what I understand.
Jim

Old May 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Passenger

I don't really care who the cruise director is on my cruises........I don't plan my vacation around who the cruise director is. I guess if one participates heavily in all the activities on board that is what matters.

To me the most important employees on the cruises are the room stewards and wait-staff in the dining areas. They are the ones that are right there with the customer all the time. Of course, I know that the ship needs a supervisor over the ship's activities, etc.; but the cruise director is just not as obvious in our type of enjoyment on cruises. We do appreciate the hard work that c.d.'s put in, though, on making sure things run smoothly.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nothing against Michael Mullane and his wife but every cruise I have been on he and his wife were like co-directors?? I'm cruising Miracle in September and would really like to experience another director. Maybe it's the port I'm leaving out of (Tampa) but I have also had the same maitre d with every cruise-george the greek. I have changed ships before but never the port. It's too close to home.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Melody, yes Michael and Jeni are pretty much a team even though he is listed as the CD. George the Greek is a hoot sometimes and actually a pretty good Maitre D'. I like to cruise with differant CD's even though I do have a couple that I consider friends and keep in touch with. As much as I like to sail with them again I choose the ports over ships and ships, (or classes of ships I should say), over the CD's. All things equal I will give in and am always happy to sial with one I know and like.
Jim

Old May 17th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

I remember George the Greek from my cruise on the Sensation a few years ago. Funny, I cannot recall any cruise director names of any cruise I have ever been on. The only name that really stands out in my mind is George the Greek. lol