Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Patticake

Default transcop patch or dramamine or bonine OR ANTIHISTAMINE WE GO

we just got our pres. for the patch as we are leaving on the victory in three weeks on the 17th of july. is the bonine and dramamine a pres. or can we buy over he counter? i really did not even mention to our doctor anything except the patch

she did tell me that you have to be carefull with alchohol on the patch but i hve heard it works wonderful. now another thought we got from our doctor. he sent all of the girls in his office on the cruise last year and they all took( a suggestion from the nurse practioner in the office) clarinex, a pres. type allergy antihistamine. not clarinet but clarinex 5 mg. you start taking it 72 hours before the cruise leaves and continue to take one tablet a day for the duration of the cruise. several of the girls in the office said it really works unbelievably. so they gave us samples of that to help if that is what we want to do. i really do not want tobe sleepy all of ;the time on bonine or one like it.

we went on a cruise 20 years ago on NCL and it was a small ship on 700 people. we left miami on sunday and just about everyone got sick on monday night like clockwork. i asked around to figure out the problem and the staff told me that when the ship goes through the area by the bahamas where the atlantic ocean meets the carribean it is a very rough trough separating these two bodies of water. the next morning i was fine and never got an ounce of sickness for the rest of the cruise. that was an eastern carrib. route. happy sailing everyone and hope for no seasickness.
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: transcop patch or dramamine or bonine OR ANTIHISTAMINE W

I only recommend Bonine and yes you can get it over the counter at your drug store. The generic name for it is Mezciline (sp). Anti-histimines leave you drowsy and should never mix with alcohol.
Jim

Old June 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
sls

You take the bonine once a day so I took it right before bed so if it made me drowsy I didn't know about it. Worked great for me.

sls
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: transcop patch or Dramamine or Bonine OR ANTIHISTAMINE W

Actually, Meclizine (Bonine) is an antihistamine but has less of a drowsy effect on the "majority" of people but it can cause drowsiness on many people. It knocks me out. Bonine (Meclizine) and Dramamine are both over-the-counter medications.

Many anti-histamine's "can" help with motion sickness but many can cause drowsiness but few have been truly proven to have an effect. Scopolomine(Patch), Meclizine, Dramamine have passed clinical and double blind studies. You should have asked your doctor about this at the time you got your Scopolomine prescription. The advice of starting the medication before your cruise is a very good one. Very few medications can stop motion sickness once it starts. It is also a good idea to try any medication to see how it effects you before you go on your cruise. If Bonine makes you extremely sleepy it isn't much better than being ill for the cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:53 PM
First Mate

I have used the patch and it is great. They are good for 3 days. My Doctor said to put it on before you get on the ship. I did and it also gets rid of sea legs if you use it until you leave the ship. The first time I was short one day since we shared and I had sea legs for 2 days. Never again have I had them. In our group all that had the patch did not get hangovers or the feeling of drunkness. Just use a little judgement on how much you drink. have a wonderful cruise.

Post Edited (06-25-05 23:09)

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2