Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:13 PM
tinna

Default back from the triumph

hi everyone, i just returned from my first cruise on the triumph to canada out of new york. if anyone have any questions i am willing to answer them, i will be posting my review tommorrow. everything went well and also leaving out of new york wasn't as bad as people was telling me. i do know you have to get there very early or very late. i was there at 10:15 am and was the 16th person there and was checked-in and went thru security and on the ship by 12:15pm. very easy process.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM
First Trip

Default Re: back from the triumph

Im taking that same trip in August. Essentially, tell me everything!
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Tinna,

MEEEE TOOOOO!!!!!

I'm on a 7 day, same ship, same tour in Sept.. Do you think we will have the same CD? As a former "newbie", what did you think of Carnival as a whole?

I'll be looking for your review.

TBug
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:25 PM
tinna

Default Re: Re: back from the triumph

i had a wonderful time, if you had neverbeen to new york terminal, please get there early, we got there about 10:15am and we where the 16th person's there. they prechecked us in and the we had too wait for a few mins. and then we went thru secuirty and then to the next line to get your sail and sign card, we was on the ship by 12:15 having lunch on the lido deck.( i have too warn you about this, when we arrived at the pier there was this one porter who told us we had to check our carry-on bags with him, i told him i did not too do this and that carnival said we can bring on our carry-ons and then i walked away, but some people got taken and never seen there carry on's again. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

we walked around the ship to get use to it and to fine our way to the paris dining room.
we was on the empress deck and it was very quiet, we only had 300 kids on board and they all was well behaved. our room steward was sherwin, he was great. ANOTHER WARNING: don't get to the muster drill too early you will be stuck in the back and it is very hot back there. the food in the dining room is very good. i did breakfast in the dining room also but i did lunch at the new york deli, the sandwiches are very good, room service is great too, just order early enough if you want it by a certain time.

wait to the last day to shop in the gift shop, alot of things was 50 to 75 percent off.
we did self-asist when getting off.HINT: you have too meet in the rome lounge, get there early and sit on the steps, your luggage can't tounch the floor.
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:31 PM
tinna

thug, loved my first cruise and so far i love carnival, i thing is that, you have to stay positive and not stress over little things. example; there was a couple in the dining room on formal night dress very casual, a couple of people was having a fit over it- i had to tell them,if carnival is not enforcing there rule then who are we to worry about it.
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:39 PM
tinna

Default Re: Re: Re: back from the triumph

just wanted to let you know that i will cruise again. i will try to book soon.
Old June 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Boater

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: back from the triumph

tinna,

is that it? or do you have a more comprehensive review coming? :-)
Old June 28th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Passenger

I'm a little confused. You sailed from NYC and you were there by 10:15am? What time did they tell you for embarkation?
We sail on Saturday and they told us embarkation starts at 2pm. We are on a 5 night cruise to Canada. Maybe that is the difference. Did you go on a 4 night cruise?
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:04 PM
tinna

they told us 2pm also, but i chose to get there early
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:09 PM
tinna

boater, i have more coming, but i am sure you could read other people review in the review section if you like. i am just answering particular question right now. when i get myself together i will write a review, don't worry.
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Passenger

Tinna,

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you had a good time. I leave on Saturday...can't wait!!!

I can't believe the porter who was trying to take your carry-ons...that's wild! I'm so glad you hung onto yours and gave us a warning! Do the porters wear some kind of uniform? Did you give them your regular luggage and did everything work out OK with that?

Its also great to know about arriving early to the port. We saw on our papers that embarkation starts at 2pm and were planning to arrive around 12noon. After reading your post, we are going to leave earlier. I'd love to get right on the boat and not stand in a huge hot line. How was parking when you arrived? Were there plenty of spots available?

What did you think of Saint Johns and Halifax? We aren't planning any excursions...we were thinking we could walk around and explore (but we do have some people in our party that can't do a whole lot of walking). Is there anything that you would recommend?

Also, did they have any type of theme night on the ship? We traveled in the past and they had a mardi-gras night on the ship (of course we were in New Orleans lol). Plus we are traveling over the 4th of July. We were wondering if there might do something special for the holiday.

Old June 29th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Mary Lou

This is really for anyone with questions about embarking in NYC.

I dropped off my daughter and friends' last Wednesday at the NYC cruise terminal and had no problem arriving in the city around 1:30 PM - they were in line to board by 2:10 PM.

One thing to check that has to make a difference is whether or not any other ships are there at the same time - Legend was the only one there, so I suspect that makes all the difference. (I highly recommend leaving mid week!).

Tomorrow is pick up and we'll see if it's as easy to get them as it was to leave them. :-)
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Admiral

tinna

I look forward to seeing the rest of your review. That's good info about the porter. New cruisers very well may not of known that. If not for these boards, i can say I probably would have fallen for it. You should post that story in another area, like maybe "first time cruisers" section.

About the time to arrive. I too have been told 2pm, but have been advised many times by people on these boards to arrive earlier. Tinna's post is helpful for us newbies. She is seeing things through new eyes. Thanks!

Another question: What do you mean by that your "luggage can't touch the floor".

Let us know here when the review is posted. Might be easier than all these questions?

TBug
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM
thug

the asistant cruise director told all of us that was doing self-asist, that we had to wait in the rome lounge and the luggage could not be on the floor for emergency reason's, so i sat on the steps and my bags was right next to me on the steps,
Old June 29th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Oh, ok I get it. Thanks tinna.

You really confused me there because I noticed the Author was thug. Not Tbug. I thought maybe someone new with a similar screen name, but realized its you.

Thanks
TBug (not to be confused with "thug" :0)
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Passenger

I have called Carnival several times about what time to get there for a 2pm embarkation, and each and every time I got a different response; anything from 1:45pm to 11am. It seems that the general consensus on this board is that it is better to get to the pier much earlier. Guess I have to call the limo guy to change the pick - up time!

ValerieNJ what time to you plan to arrive? Looks like we are on the same sailing.
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Passenger

cinderelli - we are driving from South Jersey and are planning on arriving by about 10:30am (thanks to Tinnna's advice).

Old June 30th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Admiral

Let me know how that earlier time works out for you two, as I leave in Sept.

TBug
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Admiral

tinna

Another question. I heard that some people are having problems getting seats for the shows because of people saving seats for a group. They would have to go real early and even prehaps skip dinner just to get a seat. Did you have that problem on the Triumph?

TBug
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Mary Lou

I picked up my daughter at the NYC pier today. They did not start to disembark anyone who was not carrying out their own luggage until 10:30. They were not off the ship until 11:30. All those who had arrived for the next cruise were just sitting and waiting. If there is only one cruise ship in the port I don't think you need to be there so early, but that's just a personal opinion.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:42 PM
tinna

Default Re: Re: Re: back from the triumph

please get there early, they preregistered us and let the first 4 rows go thru security first.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:44 PM
tinna

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: back from the triumph

sorry tbug, i wasn't looking at your name good.(still thinking about my cruise)
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Passenger

Now here's another question brought up.... how long does it take to get off the ship? I told the limo guy about 10:30am, but I can call to adjust that time. Do you get to eat breakfast on that last morning, and what time do you have to be out of your room by?

We are leaving here on Saturday about 10:45am, so we should get to the pier around 11:30am if there is just the normal traffic. I guess I'd rather be at the beginning of a very long line, than in the middle or end.
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:18 PM
tinna

you have too be out of your cabin by 8:30am, they do the self-asist people at 8am, if you choose to do that you have to be in the rome lounge very early, usually between 7am-730am because it get's crowded. yes they do serve breakfast on the last day, they start serving it on the lido deck at 6am and in the dining room at 7am.

so far as arriving, like i said we got there by 10:15am and was the 16th one there, by 11 am the place started getting very crowded, you will see what i am talking about.

if you are going to be waiting for your color to be called, they start calling colors at 9am, make sure you go to the imformation deck and ask for a early color.
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Boater

tinna,

here are some specific questions i have that perhaps you can answer. i am taking this trip in august.

1. which dining rooms do what time seatings? how big of a table did you get? how hard to get a table for 2?

2. what shows are there?

3. what are the ports like?

4. are the pools open alot? i heard one has a retractable roof and is indoors?

5. what amentities do the rooms/bathrooms come with?

6. which dining room is breakfast and lunch served in? is it open seating and come whenever you want?

anything else i should know?
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:29 AM
First Trip

i'd be curious to hear if anyone else had takes on these questions as well.
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:25 PM
tinna

boater here is the answers to your questions

1)paris diningroom time-545pm,and 8pm londen diningroom-615pm and 830pm, i had a table for 2 right from the begining, ask the madra'd to change you.

2)he welcome show, the wonderful world show( the only two i went too), they also had in the rome lounge - not -so-newlywed game, the battle of the sexes, the talent show and bingo.

3) went went to halfax and walked along the pier and up a couple of very steep hills, carnival had alot to offer for this pier.

4)yes the pools are open for the most part, but do close just before dark, and one of the do have the cover.
5) they give you a male and female shaver, dental floss and sun screen.

6) breakfast and lunch is open seating in the paris diningroom. 8am for breakfast. i ate lunch at the new york deli, the sandwiches are good there. please order room service early, because they do get busy in the early am or late pm.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:03 AM
tinna

i hope i answered everyone's questions. i am posting my review today.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:07 AM
Lottie Dah

We have been on this ship and Victory many times the last few years going to Halifax and St John. We will be going next week on this ship to Halifax.

We have found in the last few years, arriving at the pier between 11am and noon, we were on board in our cabin by 1. Even though, they tell you to get there at 2pm.

Great ship and food. Halifax is a very interesting port.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:07 AM
tinna

i did not realize it could take up to 7 days to post.