Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Alan Bannister

Default carnival VALOR

I'd like to know how bad the staff are as far a begging for tips. I'm not a cheap man but I'm sick and tired of every time I go anywhere on vacation, people are begging for tips. Is this cruise line any different??? Please help me as I leave on 28 August.
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: carnival VALOR

Carnival will automatically charge a gratuity of ten dollars, per person, per day to your shipboard Sign and Sail account, and then the funds are distributed amongst your dining room and housekeeping staff. You are free to adjust this upwards or downwards depending on your estimation of their service to you, but many people, myself included, find it the height of rudeness to refuse to tip at all. The cruise employees work very long hours for relatively little money directly from the line, and to boot, they are required to spend weeks and months at sea, away from family, friends, etc.

For services that are purchased additionally, such as alcoholic beverages or spa services, a 15% gratuity is added to the bill.

It's also customary to tip a guide or driver if you choose any shore excursions.
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:46 PM
bluewatersahead

They don't beg for tips. I have sail with Carnival 5 times and have never had that happen to me other than the dock works who load your bags but we just give them $1.00 a bag. Carnival does add the tip to your sail and sign card. But if you think it is to much or want to give your tips your self, just tell them and they will fix it the way you want it. They usually put it as $10.00 a day per person ( that covers everyones tip except the bar bills). The bar will add the tip with each order from them at 15%. If you drinks alot of soft drinks be sure and buy a "Fun Fountain" card from the bar at the beginning of the cruise. This will save you money.
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM
First Mate

We cruised in April on Valor and we can't say enough positive things about the service we
received. Our cabin steward did an excellent job with everything!! One late morning he
even checked on us (we stayed in enjoyed our balcony), because he had not seen us all
day. He asked if we were okay and that he was just checking. We felt this was great
because what if we had been ill?? The service throughout the ship was just as good.
We even gave our cabin steward an extra tip, which we don't usually do. The crew does
work very very hard, they do not beg for tips, and earn the $$ they receive. The service
people that expect tips are usually the porters that handle your luggage and shoretour
drivers. We usually tip $1 per bag or $1 per person for a driver and if we order room
service we tip $1-2. All this really does not add up to a large sum, you must consider
all of this a part of your cruise expense. When you consider how much a cruise will
cost you add in tips, shore tours, and the cost of getting to / from the port in addition
to any $$ you need for souvenirs. Really and truely this is the actual cost of a cruise.
Everyone needs to realize this. Tipping is a personal matter, but we think you will feel
good about tipping Valor's hard working crew. Have a wonderful trip, she is a fabulous
ship with history surrounding you at every turn!!! Be sure to check out the "High Society"
band in the Eagles Lounge. They were great!!
Happy Sailing............
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Passenger

Jose took care of our cabin. We took a seven day cruise and were never asked or approached for a tip on Valor, Eastern Carribean.
Old July 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Kelly00

Hi i will be on Valor on 8-28 also have fun. Kelly