CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   blood donations after cruising FYI (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/204693-blood-donations-after-cruising-fyi.html)

cherylroy July 13th, 2005 04:02 PM

blood donations after cruising FYI

Well, I can't give blood for a year now that I went cave tubing in Belize. Can you believe that? I have not had any trouble with any other port -- but if you go in the rural areas of Belize, you can't give for a year (we went cave tubing last month). Oh well...won't stop me from cruising!!
cheryl

okiemom July 13th, 2005 04:58 PM

Re: blood donations after cruising FYI

I mentioned that we were going on a cruise in December when I was donating platlets a few weeks back and they told me that I would deferred for one year even if I stayed on the ship while in port. They said it was silly for tourists but Belize is in a Malaria zone. O well I guess the Blood Institute will have to wait a year for my help. You would think that they could have some type of screening for malaria. Not going to stop me cruising either! Gotta Cruise!!! It's in my blood! lol You would think they could see that when they screen my blood.

ran July 13th, 2005 05:10 PM

I had the same problem after doing the Vicotry Eastern...They wont let me donate for 6 months! Go figure when 2 of the 3 ports we went to were US ports of call

UConn1 July 13th, 2005 06:00 PM

I am in my 11th month of not being able to give blood (my company brings the blood bus to us once a month) due to my cruising to Belize last August. My brother can't give blood at all because he has been to Africa on Missions trips about twice a year for the last 6 years and he keeps going back.

Jodi

beenie weenie July 13th, 2005 06:03 PM

It is not just Belize.. this also applies to some areas in the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico as well.

JeanS July 13th, 2005 07:13 PM

I was also in Belize last August and found out that I cannot donate for one year either. However, I had planned to go get a tattoo after donating (which they turned me down for) but THEN I was told that the Red Cross has changed their policy on tattoos...used to be you could not donate one year after getting a tattoo (which made no sense to me...the place I always go to is VERY clean!), now they WILL take you after getting a tattoo if it is at a licensed facility......SO I went and got my Tinkerbell tattoo and will be back in August after my one year after being in Belize....

Go figure!

Jim Bragg July 13th, 2005 07:22 PM

I don't understand. I have been very honest about where I have been including Belize, CR, Panama, Yucatan, and even Labadee which is in the country of Haiti and they have gone and checked and have figured out that I can still donate. I think that I was allowed because of the time that we were in these countries was very limited. You donation place needs to read carefully the regs and I think they will find you are exempted as you were there on a cruise.
Jim

cherylroy July 13th, 2005 09:30 PM

Re: Re: blood donations after cruising FYI

They told me if I had done a city tour, it would be ok to donate, but since I was in the rainforest/cave tubing -- more chance of being bitten by mosquitos. Oh well....their loss because I will not stop cruising. They will one day come up with a certain test, etc I am sure. I was a regular faithful donator! Sighhhhhhhh
cheryl

wanman July 13th, 2005 10:56 PM

I was told the same thing after going to Playa de Carmen. I got back on December 4, 2004 and I cruise again (to Belieze) on December 5, 2005. Oh well, Blood center's loss.

js2003 July 14th, 2005 04:24 AM

The screening process can be so intimidating....I hate the question "have you ever exchanged sex for money or drugs?" (Does dinner and a movie count?)

cool cruiser July 14th, 2005 12:49 PM

My husband went to give blood yesterday and they said because we were in Belize he had to wait a year. They said it didn't matter where they would just rather be safe.

BrendaS July 14th, 2005 01:41 PM

OK, now you guys have me wondering if I need to worry about getting malaria when I go to Belize. Am I supposed to get vaccinated or something? Since this is the first post I've read about it I'm thinking the chances of contacting it are pretty remote....am I right?? (Please say "YES!")

Brenda

http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery.../thumb2167.jpg

Jim Bragg July 14th, 2005 03:31 PM

The screening process can be so intimidating....I hate the question "have you ever exchanged sex for money or drugs?"....to which I reply "heck yes! I am married for crying out loud and if I don't give her my paycheck..........." <VBG>
The chances of contracting Malaria is exceptionally remote and no they do not recommend vaccinations for those that travel there on cruise ships. I agree that if you are going there on some kind of expedition to unearth ancient Mayan Ruins of search for a cure of cancer etc then yeah, probably then. If it make you feel better than go ahead with it and nobody will or should say anything against you for it but I personally do not think it is necessary or worth it.
Jim

cherylroy July 14th, 2005 03:34 PM

Naw...stop worrying. If it were any danger, they would make you take malaria pills/shots, etc. or they would just not go to that port! My sister just left today for Brazil and she had to have ALL kinds of shots, pills, etc. Its just "one of those recommended practices of the UBS I guess. Go have fun! Sure not gonna stop me! They just won't get my blood -- and let me tell you, I have some awesome blood! LOL
cheryl

okiemom July 15th, 2005 06:32 PM

I hate the question..."Have you had sex with a man who has had sex with another man" My reply...Better Not Have. LOL I would kill my husband!!! And yes haven't we all had sex for money, if you are married ;0 . lol

js2003 July 15th, 2005 10:35 PM

isn't it time to be adding new questions?
1. did you have sex with a man who bought you mix drinks but not with the man who offered a beer?

oh wait....this was suppose to be about blood donations wasn't it? ...my bad!