Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:01 AM
spacey31

Default STORMS!!!!

What happens if a tropical storm is headed your way??? What does the cruise line do?? I am suppose to leave July 23 out of mobile, AL. going to mexico. Has there ever been a chance of cancelling on us?? What happens then, or what happens if we dont go where we are suppose too. Please help worried traveler!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: STORMS!!!!

Don't worry. Carnival [and every other cruise line] won't put you in "harm's way". In "worst case scenario", the cruise itself will be cancelled....but current forecasts put "Emily" far away from Mobile. And it doesn't look like a new storm is in the offing. If a storm does strike your embarkation port, you'll get your money back. If the storm is forecast to strike mid-cruise/problems in Cozumel make it impossible for you to dock there, you will be sent to alternate ports.

Compensation for their doing so is at the discrertion of Carnival.

Post Edited (07-18-05 01:31)
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Yeoman

Looks like you'll have clear sailing from Mobile. Don't know if you'll go to Cozumel with hurricane Emily being there this week. If you don't, you'll either go to another port or have another sea day.
No worries mate, you'll be cruising ! I don't think they'll cancel your cruise.
Thats the down side to sailing this time of year. The fares are cheaper, but you have all the hurricanes to deal with.

Happy sailing;
david

Sensation- 09/24/2005
Conquest-2003
Inspiration-2001
Enchanted Isle- 1999
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:49 AM
First Mate

ALB
why are you going on Valor, this is also a carnival ship, and if I recall correctly your the one that wants to prevent seasickness, from the staff that will also not be feeling well while taking care of you????????
and not earning their tips because you paid too much already.
shame on you., for talking to spacy 31 that way.
Gail
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ALB
Default Re: Re: STORMS!!!!

Gail; Yes I'm booked on the Valor in August, and I'm also heavily insured in case of most anything. I've also read numerous horror stories regarding the amount of shoulder shrugging Carnival does when there is a major problem ie: lost luggage, cancelled trips, rough seas(I know it's an act of God), ignorant staff , well you get the picture. I do not wish to offend anyone, if I have I apologize. I just enjoy spirited conversation and get folks thinking. I'm just a terrified as anyone else at the thought of losing my trip due to weather. Thanks for the reply. ALB
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:22 AM
First Mate

ALB,
you sound like a very negitive person, go with the flow that is the excitement of it all I have been on 6 cruises 5 carnival the only rough one was not carnival.and I think I just did not like it because Carnival is so wondeful.
I love listenning to peoples stories it brings back memories that I will cherrish forever, and until my next cruise.
so come on ALB do not spoil it for people that are newbies, the only ones that have a bad experience are those that look for it.
Gail
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Spacey, we always cruise during hurricane season due to the lack of kids onboard and the better rates...we have never been put in harms way of any storms, the captain had to modify our itinerary a few times but have always had a wonderful ttime and never worried about anything....you just have to be flexible when cruising...

And disregard ALB's comments, if the cruise is cancelled, you will get a refund, no insurance necessary. ALB unfortunately doesn't know what he/she is talking about... insurance is in case *you* have to cancel for some reason...

So just relax, enjoy and go with the flow!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Emily is scheduled to make a direct hit on the Yucatan- this would effect Cozumel- depending upon her path,chances are very good that you will be diverted to another port, or have an extra sea day, that's it. Your safety is the Captain's main concern he will not put you in harms way. Might you experience some choppy seas, some wind and some rain, probably. Just go with flow, relax and enjoy. Its a cruise!!!
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:57 AM
First Mate

Just go with the flow and keep watch on Carnivals home page for weather changes.
If they know ahead they will post it here on there web site.
This week they changed several ports of call to keep everyone safe. If you miss a port they do a small on board credit. I always cruise in Hurricane season and have only missed one port of call.
Lets see what this year brings. Also Cruisemates on there homepage give you ship changes due to weather.
Happy cruising and may the weather be good to you.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:20 AM
sls

The Holiday only goes to Cozumel and Playa so where would it be diverted to? This is a concern, a lot of people don't won't a four day cruise to nowhere.

sls
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Jean is right - if Carnival cancels the cruise, you'll get a refund. If *you* decide not to go, then yes, your money is gone. Travel insurance is always a good idea. Carnival might decide to skip or substitute a port, but will rarely cancel a cruise.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Travel insurance is for more than just cancelling trips. Some US medical insurances are not good outside the US. I've known ppl with injuries (broken leg or hand, etc) on ship or land and they were covered. Also emergency services and/or medivac off ship.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Carnival and every other cruiseline will always refund you money in total if the cruise is for any reason canceled. If they know beforehand that the ship will not go to any of the scheduled ports, ie the Holiday to Cozumel, then they have in the past offered the passengers to cancel and reschedule with no monetary loss. These are the facts and are not just an opinion.
Jim

Old July 19th, 2005, 12:53 AM
spacey31

Thanks guys I cant believe all the reply. THANKS I guess I will go with the flow. I called carnival and they told me they will call me if there is any changes. They might change the port, thats what they said. They also said they may leave one day early or one day late. I will just wait and see. I am in the process of moving so I need the vacation and if I dont get to go due to the weather I will be fine. I have more than enough to do here before I go. THANKS everyone