Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:21 AM
ThirdTimeCharm

Default Formal Nights.....

I've seen this seem to fade away slowly. Can someone tell me if the majority of people are dressing formally, or if they are wearing normal attire to formal nights?
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Formal Nights.....

I've never noticed anyone not dressed formal, at least in the dining room.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM
ThirdTimeCharm

Donna....We were on the Dawn last year, and we did dress, and I have to say we were the minority.....
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Gail F.

We did dress also, but I did notice that at the ;late seating people were a little more dressed then the first which were more families,
but your right my first cruise ten years ago formal night like was going to your senior prom all over again and it is not like that anymore, heck I did't even do my hair this time.
( only kidding) Gail
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:14 AM
Bernadette

You said there were more families at the earlier seating. Are children allowed to go to formal night, I was under the impression they are not. Also I heard that a jacket is not required? Will a shirt and tie be fine? Bernadette
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Ahhh... the formal night debate.... I personally don't mind pulling out a glitzy cocktail dress for a "night on the town" sort of evening on the ship. I've seen everything from tuxes to dressy business casual for the gentlemen in the main dining room. Ladies' attire ranges from full-length sequined gowns to dressy pantsuits. I've never seen anyone really abuse the dress code on any cruise. If dressing formally is not your wish, then take clothing that you might wear to a business dinner or church. Children are allowed in the dining room on formal night and their attire has varied from nice school clothes to "Sunday Dress up." On my last cruise the ship was filled with the spring break crowd from Ole Miss. Many of the adults could have taken lessons from those young people as far as attire and manners during dinner.

Veedam - 2003
Grandeur of the Seas - 2004
Holiday - 2004
Holiday - 2005
Zenith - in Dec. 2005
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Yes formal nights in the dining room is for the whole family. On one cruise we saw this precious 3 y/o "Anna" who insisted on wearing her Cinderella dress every night. Most men are dressed in a suit and some in tuxes; ladies wear gowns, cocktail dresses or pant suits. Shirt and tie might be fine for those under 16 y/o but ours always wore a suit even at age 4.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:36 PM
Big Craig

The 2 formal nights on the Triumph we saw men wearing nice jeans with sport jackets, no more packing and carrying dress up wear for me plus hoping it still fits on the fourth night.
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Passenger

My wife and i have been on several cruises, about two years ago we decided not to dress up for formal nights. We both have to wear business attire to work everyday, we just want to relax and enjoy our vacation.
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:21 AM
jknichols

My husband and I gave up dressing formally many cruises ago. Now we just dress as we would for a day at the office with me wearing black slacks and a pretty blouse and him wearing either dress slacks with shirt/tie or dress slacks and a pullover sweater with a collared shirt underneath. It's alot less stressful not having to worry about shopping for and packing the formal wear and there is always enough variety among the other passengers that we never feel out of place.

Dress in what makes you comfortable. As long as it's a step up from jeans and a t-shirt, you'll be fine.
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:02 AM
ThirdTimeCharm

Default Re: Re: Formal Nights.....

Thank you for your responses. I was starting to worry. We don't want to dress up, but then again we always dress for dinner, in something appropriate. Even when we wear jeans, we are neat and clean. Last year we were on the Norwegian Dawn, and I wore a black cocktail dress to dinner and my husband had on a dark suit. We were over dressed. I just don't want that to happen again. So I think formal nights for me will be a black skirt and a pretty blouse. It's vacation after all I don't want to stress......
Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
BoosterMom

Last week on our cruise, we felt like people were dressing up more. When you go out to take pictures, you never know whether those folks just finished dinner, are about to go, whatever............I saw many, many sequinned tops w/ black pants on women, a fair number of tuxedos, but an equal number of suits on men. My husband wore a navy blazer and grey slacks and fit in perfectly with the rest of the crowd. My daughters and I wore short black cocktail dresses and were fine. My girls could have easily worn any of their prom or formal dresses and been fine too........I just don't know where they would have put them in their suitcases!!! We saw darling children under the age of 5 in formal dresses and the cutest little tuxedos you have ever seen. I didn't even know that suits and tuxedos were made for children that little, they were just precious. You will be fine in whatever you take, but I did sense that on the Victory, the dress was more formal than some of our other cruises. Just remember to dress families in somewhat the same attire if you plan to do formal pictures. Guys "might" need a tux if all the ladies in the picture have on long sequinned formal dresses.......
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
Admiral

My wife and I always dress in a Formal gown and I in a Tux. Our tablemates have always either been attired the same way or at the very least in a nice jacket and tie but more often in a nice dark suit. Formal night is supposed to be special with a little romance in it for you and the wife/SO. We are in a 'dining room' being served a 6 course meal, not Denny's grabbing a meatloaf dinner.
Jim

Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Dress as if you are going to church