Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:23 PM
s langham

Default Why does your cost differ by your home state?

I understand that your cruise cost differs depending on what your home state is. Why is this? Why should someone who resides in one state have to pay more than another person on the same cruise who resides in another state?

Thanks
skl
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Male

Default Re: Why does your cost differ by your home state?

It better not!
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've never heard of this before, but if it's true, I would like to know why.
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:55 PM
browezilla

It is true. This March I was looking at a Carnival cruise. W/O entering my state, the price was X dollars. When I put my state in, it dropped $400/person. I was shocked! It was last minute, so it may have to do with proximity to the port
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Cruiselines often run "regional specials" where cruises are discounted for certain states or areas............this is done by their marketing departments. No one state ALWAYS has lower rates............all this depends on how well the cruise is selling, what areas of the country are selling faster than others, etc.

Old August 20th, 2005, 03:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Regional promotions are very common and people in different states will often get discounts on cruises. Florida residents often receive these discounts but based on a cruiseline's marketing department they may be offered to any state or region.

One bad thing that has happened is that some travel agents have booked customers using resident rates that they were not entitled to and they were forced to pay the difference at check in on the day of the cruise. I have seen this happen and it really puts a damper on a cruise plus it can lose repeat customers for the agent.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:09 AM
venice

good point Mike...this type of promotion is designed to fill the ships with people in driving range of the departure port primarily or from an identified geographic area that the cruise line is trying to penetrate that shows high disposable income and not alot of past cruise exposure
Old August 20th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

How would the cruise line know where each passenger resides? Unless the passenger shows a driver's license where their home address is shown, the cruise line wouldn't know, would they?
Old August 20th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

The new goverment personal data that you have to fill out and turn in to the cruise people 14 days before you sail tells the cruise line everthing about you.. And I would not want to lie about where you are from in todays' world.. The border people don't like that.. OM
Old August 20th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Why does your cost differ by your home state?

Your docs/FunPass/Passport/et cetera list yiour address. Even if they aren't there...they're "linked" to an address.

Post Edited (08-20-05 14:29)
Old August 20th, 2005, 03:21 PM
bjkeen

That is not right. Some people in my cruise group are coming from MN, they paid the same amount as I did and I am in Florida.
Old August 20th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Why does your cost differ by your home state?

Not every cruise has price differences. And, should there be one on your cruise, it may be for Arkansas. Then again, it may not be. Also, I seriously doubt CCL would "dock you" if any mistake was accidental. I'm sure they'd need a suspicion of fraud.

Post Edited (08-20-05 15:35)
Old August 20th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Admiral

As Mike and Lisa said, they run 'specials' for differant states as promos. It is done in just about every business that I can think of, especially when it pertains to tourism. Some TA DO in fact try to sneak in people at these special prices that they are not entitled to in order to get the sale. These people sometimes are aware of this but most of the time they are not. This actually happened to us when we went on a group cruise. The agent put everyone from the same state, I think it was Penn. and we definately were not. Not only I but two other couples from Florida were pulled aside and told we had to pay the differance and not only that, it was the differance of the price at the peir whick was almost the same additional amount as we paid originally! I was VERY embarassed because of this and a TA got his butt reamed very strongly and he did try to pay on his CC for us. That was not acceptable to RCI as they did not know this guy so we did have to pay the additional amount in order to board with the TA making apologies and promises to re-imburse us asap. With the threat of a very detailed review and report being placed on Cruisemates about these actions the amount was paid the second day at sea and my CC was never charged the additional amount nor was any of the others. The Travel Agency was reputable, the agent that handled the deal was not and he was fired for this. Always ask questions when a price is give to you that is much less than you have received from others to be sure.
Jim