Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:27 PM
C&T

Default tablemates from Hell

Cruisers
My husband and I have been on many wonderful cruises and have enjoyed many great, witty, fun, interesting table mates for dinner--But once we encountered a couple we could just have gagged. They made our skin crawl, we knew we could not spend night after night with them at the dinner table--so how did we make an exit?? Solution--Asked Head Waiter to help us with this situation and in a very gracious and helpful way the very next night he set us up for a nice table just for two. We enjoyed each others company from then on out at the dinner table. I'm sure that other couple have wondered to this day what ever happened to us?? C&T
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:54 PM
BoosterMom

Default Re: tablemates from Hell

so that's where you went!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

C&T, could you elaborate more on why your tablemates made you gag? What did they do, or how did they appear that made you so uncomfortable? I'm just curious.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:49 AM
C&T

Default Re: Re: tablemates from Hell

This is why we left. It was all due to their non-stop mouth. They monopolized-took control of the entire conversation. They gave no one else at the table a chance to speak. Everyone needs a chance to speak But to also Listen.
The subjects they spoke on were gross--on the details of how they potty trained their grand children to how they buried some of their relatives who died lately to how rich they were owning acerage and a grand house like no other. By the thid night of this we had hadenough. The other people at the table were so nice and we hated to leave them but this couple ruined the whole dine experience. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniv. and we wanted every minute to be just great.
I guess this is just life but we had to split and just get our quiet table for two. C&T
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Male

I WOULD HAVE MADE A COMMENT TO THEM THEN I WOULD HAVE LEFT LIKE YOU DID. WHEN IM ON VACATION, I LIKE TO TALK ABOUT PAST / FUTURE VACATIONS AND TO HEAR OTHERS EXPERIENCES AND TASTES. MAYBE WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE KIDS WE LEFT BEHIND AT HOME WITH THE GRANDPARENTS OR GARUDIAN OR HOW MANY KIDS DO OTHERS WANT IN THEIR LIFE BUT LIMIT THE CONVERSATION TO GRAND VACATION DREAMS...ITS ALWAYS A CROWD PLEASER DURRING DINNER!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:38 PM
Admiral

C&T,

You did the right thing! I've heard others complain about their tablemates, but they never tried to do anything about it.

We enjoy sitting with others on our cruises, but sometimes it just doesn't work out well.

On our last cruise (Anytime Dining, thank goodness) one night we were seated with a woman who could only talk about all the weight she lost and how much we were all (8 of us, eating normally) over eating. Then she spotted a pack of cigarettes in a man's pocket...

Another night we sat with a couple who (supposedly) had just sold a company and made 3 million dollars. We heard all about their new "toys", etc. I like Princess, but if I had 3 million dollars...

Like Male, we enjoy hearing about other's cruises and vacations, and even their families and hometowns.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Duke 42

Last spring we sailed on a 12 day cruise on Celebrity. We always ask for a large table but this time we got a table for 4. Our luggage was lost and I came to dinner in shorts and a t-shirt. The people we ate with never spoke to us and simply ignored our gestures to start a conversation. (he wore a dinner jacket and she was also "dressed") They held a whispered conversation amoung themselves. My wife and I enjoyed each others company and to compound matters we had a waiter that was really bad. Leaving the dinning room we encountered a New Zeland group we met earlier sitting behind the kitchen door. They were not happy either and together we approached the Maite De and asked for a table togther. The next 11 nights were a pleasure as we were seated in the center of the dining room at a table for 8. (6 in their group)

My suggestion to anyone encountering undesirable dinner mates would be to ask for a change. After the first day I understand it gets harder

I need to share this story. On a cruise a few years ago, in the buffet at breakfast, I set my untouched tray down at a table to get some coffee and when I came back my plate was gone and some guy and his family were sitting there. I tried to ask him what happened to my breakfast but he ignored me. I got a bit loud EXCUSE ME MR. ADAMS BUT WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY BREAKFAST? The dining room staff rushed over to calm me down but from that moment forward we always refer to that bunch as the Adams family.