Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cruzdiver
Default Re: Carnival Dedicates three ships to Hurricane

Post Edited (09-04-05 21:50)

Legend of the Seas November 12th 2005
Enchantment of the seas June 21, 2004

<a href='http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm117YY
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Passenger

I would like to applaud Carnival for stepping up
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Admiral

I'd be interested in actually hearing supported data. Several folks have commented about the financial arrangements between the gov't and Carnival. I'd love to hear verifiable info.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm with you....when it comes to facts and figures I'm not taking anyones word from an internet posting...
Old September 4th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Admiral

I agree with Dorothy. Where did you find this information? I don't think it is in the "public record", yet.

The Carnival website says that these ships will be completely refurbished after they are used as housing. IMO, I don't believe that people housed on these ships will "destroy" them. I think that they will be happy to have a place to stay. Call me "naive", but I have faith in my fellow people, until proven differently.

As singingcruiser said, under Martial Law, the government can take (without compensation) anything they deem needed in an emergency situation. If they are paying Carnival for the use of the ships, it's an "extra". SUV's have already been taken from citizens to use for transporting sick people.

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old September 4th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Don't be too sure about the government being able to take things from citizens without compensation much less being able to take things that are the property of foreign companies like these ships technically are. As to the finacial arrangement, I don't really care and truth be told it is not any of our business. I am just happy that they were able to come to terms over this that were satisfactory for both of them.
Jim

Old September 4th, 2005, 08:13 PM
deb 1958

I read the above email from Cruzdiver and wanted to reply. I lived in a housing project from the 2nd grade to graduation from high school. My family and I never tore up anything. We were just grateful to have a roof over our head. And our housing was not rent free. We paid a much smaller rent but in comparison to our income it was all that we could do.
I graduated from nursing school and am planning to take my 4th cruise on Oct. 2nd on the Conquest. I would completely understand if our ship was taken for housing. Our port was changed from NO to Galveston and Delta Airlines changed our flights for no charge.
Cruzdiver, please remember that the children in the housing projects were born into that situation and only by the grace of God, it could have been you. I am sure there will be people who don't take care of the ship but I'm sure there are some on the cruises who don't take care also.
Try to not be so judgemental on the poor. Some of us have not remained in the housing projects but we never forget what it felt like to be looked down upon.
Old September 4th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Admiral

deb,
Congratulations on becoming a nurse. I bet you are a very compassionate one too. Have a wonderful cruise and it's nice to hear that Delta worked with you in this situation. I wonder if other airlines were so nice.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 4th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cruzdiver
Default Re: Re: Carnival Dedicates three ships to Hurricane

Deb,

i apologize for being way to harsh. i stand corrected.

Brian

Legend of the Seas November 12th 2005
Enchantment of the seas June 21, 2004

<a href='http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm117YY
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Deb is most certainly correct. In my job as a Police Officer I often went into these 'projects' and more than 90% of the people were very nice people and would do anything for you. It was the other 10% that terrorized the others and did so much of the damage and crime thee.
Jim

Old September 4th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Hey, Deb, there's a big group of us on another website also going on the Conquest on Oct 2nd. Email me if you want any information.
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:45 AM
kvanriper

the financial arrangements were on another cruise board. Carnival is getting something on the order of $295 million for the use of their ships.
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:54 AM
bjkeen

Looks like it is true. I saw on CNN that Carnival was donating three ships for FEMA workers to have a place to stay.
Old September 5th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Admiral

>>the financial arrangements were on another cruise board. Carnival is getting something on the order of $295 million for the use of their ships.>>

Again, Kvanriper - where did you get this information? What reliable source?

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Admiral

A cruise board is not all that reliable as rumors abound unfortunately. Until or unless CCL releases that information it is all conjecture. I can tell you that CCL has just made a press release informing their stockholders that they can expect this this action will reduce earning by 1 to 3 cents a share. That may not seem like much but when you figure in the millions of shares of stock CCL is probably going to lose a million or more on this action.
Jim

Old September 5th, 2005, 12:17 PM
First Mate

Going on Carnival Liberty in March. First time to use Carnival and now I'm proud I am!! God Bless them for this gesture. It will be a blessing for so many who has lost so much!!!!

RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Captain

We are from Ocean Springs, Mississippi (next to Biloxi).... We had a cruise booked for Oct. 30th on the Conquest & ship was moved to Galveston.... Carnival is mailing us a packet with "Options" but not sure of a full refund that we will need while the coast rebuilds....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:01 AM
First Mate

Carnival is showing what is means to be our brothers keeper. What does it matter about who is getting the money from whom?? Why can't we just put all that aside and be grateful that these unfortunate people have a place to lay their heads, take a shower, and eat a good meal. Who cares who gets the bucks. I don't. Thank God we have volunteers, nurses, doctors and civilians who are truly good samaritans. I can't even imagine what these people are suffering. To be displaced is horrible. Let's be thankful that these people will have a place to stay.

Old September 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM
WDL

BRAVO Carnival...........makes you proud doesn't it? I just booked my 4th with them.
Hey if you want to holler about inflated expenses.....look at your gas station, or watch the cost of lumber, siding etc. These items will be twice the normal....people who take advantage of others at downtimes need to think about what they would like to have to face themselves. building cost will be ENORMOUS.....2 or 3 times what it should.
good God this is the greatest country in the world and all we do is think about %$#%^& each other, or what someone else might be getting....grow-up !!!!! Quit complaining and jump in and help.
Old September 6th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Captain

I think it is a good idea especially since these ships are due to be refurbished anyway.
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Passenger

I don't want to sound cold-hearted, BUT, maybe they should use these people for work on the ship while they are staying there for free. They could "work" as housekeepers, kitchen help, etc. It would not only help defray costs, but possibly give them a sense of self suffiency. "Give a man a fish........."

Carnival Triumph May 04
Norwegian Dawn Nov 08
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:03 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Im wondering if maybe they should have "asked" the ones from La if they wanted to stay on the ships before they moved them...They were interviewing people at the AstroDome this morning on local tv..and they dont want to be on the water! Many said it was the "last" place they want to be..Im sure there will be some willing to go,but they might just have to use the ships for the relief workers...Dot
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Passenger

Well, if the evacuees don't want to go on the ships, what a great place for some R&R for the relief workers. Whatever works for them works for me. Everybody on the Gulf Coast, victims AND relief workers, are gonna need some help for a long time.

Old September 7th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Duke 42

I haven't seen one word about disease that is easly spread on cruise ships. A lot of the displaced people are either sick or will become sick from water borne diseases. Seems like every year several ships are plauged with this problem and for the most part the passangers are healthy. Also you'd think the people have seen enough water to last them for the rest of their lives. I hope they can find enough suitable housing on land to help out these unfortunate folks.
Old September 7th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Beginner

Why would you expect these people to work as houskeepers and kitchen help while trying to recover from such unfortunate circumstances. It is insulting to think that they be made to work as if this is something that they did to themselves. News flash - they didn't wish to lose their homes and livelihoods, be displaced and treated no better than wild animals. My hat goes off to Carnival for donating their ships as a refuge to them.
For those of you who are "put-out" by having your cruise vacations disrupted or changed just think about all those who one week had homes, jobs, cars etc. Everything that we take for granted.
**Personal attack deleted***
Old September 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

New2 I don't see selfish, I see concern for others as well as their own families. Look around you. The world did not stop when this happened. People are praying and donating money and time, but we must continue to live our lives. All people are saying is give us our hard earned money back if the service can not be offered. Offering to help clean up on the ship is a good way to give them something to do, restore self worth, and not hurting anything. Nobody asked them to crawl under the ship and clean. Maybe they didn't choose to loose, but somebody knew that this place was a disaster waiting to happen. Don't pick on these nice people. They mean no harm to you or others.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Beginner

After experiencing such tragedy, loss and devastation the last thing that these people need is something to do to keep their minds occupied. And if they have lost any self-worth it is due to the fact that they were herded like cattle, made to endure conditions that wouldn't even be suitable for farm animals, not to mention the fact that they were given no food or water for days.
I know that there are people all over the world are praying, sending donations and trying to help as best they can but, when you read some of these posts it makes one think that no matter what unthinkable tragedies happen to good people there are still those who are arrogant, selfish and only out for self. Those people know who they are.
This is how I see it from my perspective. Last I checked everyone was entitled to his or her own opinion.
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

the first thing they said they do before letting people enter,is give them a complete check up and whatever meds or shots they need.So,probably most of the ppl that want to go onboard the ships are on some type of medicine and they are closely monitored so hopefully their health with improve.They are being sent to area hospitals if they need more care.

Once they clear the ship,it will be totally stripped and refurbished.

The mayor of NO has ordered "everyone" to be taken out of NO,even if it means by force...So,it seems most of these ppl dont mind staying in the flooded areas so maybe they will not mind going to the ships.I can see how some dont want to do this.When they first started talking about using the ships,it was said they would house the relief workers,so Im sure they will get plenty of use.Its going to take such a long time,I just wonder what will happen when the 6 month period is up.

Most of the people I have talked to (probably 20 famlies a day) say they are not going back to NO.They are putting their children in school,looking for an apt/home and some looking for jobs.Being a native of La,its especially disturbing to me,I can not even begin to imagine what these ppl are going thru.I can say that Ive only had one person in our shop that really seemed depressed,most have been in pretty good spirits although they have nothing.Im thankful fo this.

But,one thing I am concerned over is,these ppl need jobs.I dont see that we have enough jobs in the Houston area for the ones that are here.It takes almost 10 days for fema to even give them gift cards or money,and you know this wont last long,so these ppl need to find work.I work for Dillards and we lost 4 of the 7 DIllards store along the gulf coast,so we are hiring all Dillards employees that are wanting to continue working.In some cases the job is just not there,but they are making up new ones.

So pray that jobs open up for these ppl.I hope that the hire a lot of the qualified ones to go back and help with the rebuilding....Dot
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:05 PM
stormin norman

More updates.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Charter of Scotia Prince - a 1,000-passenger ferry for use in the FEMA-led recovery operation is due to arrive in Gulfport on Thursday. Scotia Prince can also handle 200 cars.

2. Cruise industry sources are speculating that vessels chartered for the relief effort will only temporarily house people displaced by the hurricane. As those evacuees move to more permanent shoreside shelters, the ships could be deployed to areas undergoing reconstruction and used to house workers.

3. Military Sealift Command is actively working on charters of additional passenger ships for hurricane relief efforts on the Gulf Coast. There is a suggestion that up to 25,000 berths are needed. Is that the target?

4. So far, the number of passenger-ship berths secured for Hurricane Katrina relief totals approximately 8,000, counting Carnival’s Ecstasy (2,600), Sensation (2,600) and Holiday (1,800), plus the ferry, Scotia Prince (1,000) plus 200 cars.

5. Check out:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/weather...iseshelter.html

6. $2,000.00 Debit Cards for victims.....

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/ne...8cfgvdg0&src=ap
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

and don't forget...they have lost more than money can ever replace.