Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2005, 07:35 PM
First Mate

Default San Diego - Hotel Parking/Shuttle to Pier?

Hubby and I have just booked Carnival's 8-day Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego for this coming December.

We live in southern California, so we will be driving to San Diego, but would like to find a hotel where we can spend the night before our sailing, that we can keep the vehicle parked at for the 8 days. It would be nice if the hotel offered a shuttle to the pier, too.

Does anyone know of any San Diego hotels that fit this bill?

If not....what is the parking like at the port in San Diego?

Thanks in advance for any information you can pass along!
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:12 PM
First Mate

Default Re: San Diego - Hotel Parking/Shuttle to Pier?

i dont think any of the hotels let u do that. probably the holiday inn right across thje street but then there is not anything. there is parking at the pier or across the street.
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Admiral

We sailed out of San Diego last November on the Spirit and left our car at the hotel for the week. There is no terminal parking in San Diego. We stayed at the Best Western Bayside on Ash Street. They offer a complimentary breakfast, free airport and free port shuttle. They were very nice and we had an ocean view balcony room. We watched the ship come in early on cruise day. The hotel even let our friends meet us at the hotel and park their car there for the 8 days for $10/day. There are many public parking facilities around with shuttles and they run about $10/day.

We also live in So. CA, "the OC" and another option we did the 2nd time was rent a car from Avis for under $25 and drove to the drop off location. They havea free shuttle to the hotel, Embassy Suites. Parking at ES is $20/day!!! ES had a free shuttle to the port the next morning after a wonderful breakfast. Our cruise was a repositioning cruise so we flew home.

There are 3 or more Holiday Inns in the area. One is directly across the street from the port...walking distance.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:31 AM
stalco

HI
We are taking the same cruise. Which week are you going? We are also staying at the Best Western Bayside. We don't have a car but I did read that they offer a package for your car and there is a free shuttle to the dock. Its not very far from the dock as well.
Good Luck
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: San Diego - Hotel Parking/Shuttle to Pier?

Best Western Bayside is a GREAT place to stay. We found this hotel on our first cruise out of San Diego, and have stayed there 3 years in a row. The staff is great, the location can't be beat and they do shuttle you to the port, and have airport shuttle service.
Enjoy your cruise.
Nancy
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Wow...great replies! I love this site -- the wealth of information is AMAZING!

We're sailing on Dec. 10th, returning on the 18th.

future questions will probably be about what to do in the ports of call. We usually book things on our own rather than the ship's shore excursions.
Old September 7th, 2005, 12:45 PM
stalco

terri910.. we will just be getting off the ship when you get on. We will try to leave it in good condition!! Do you know where your room is yet? We will be in 4181.

There are alot of great things to do in San Diego and the weather in December is usually good enough to plan and book things in advance. Enjoy your trip.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Yes, we have our cabin. We are in a balcony room on the Verandah deck. I'm really excited because this is the first time we've splurged for a balcony room!

Thanks for all the great info on hotel packages.

Now I have ANOTHER question...

We generally do not buy the ship's shore excursions, but rather gt off the ship and find a local to take us to do the exact same thing for about half the price. Should we be able to do the same thing on this itinerary?

Acapulco, Zihuataneo and Manzanillo. I know next to nothing about any of those places (except Zihuataeno is where Andy Dufresne escaped to in "The Shawshank Redemption")....

We like to snorkel and swim in warm, tropical waters. We like to sit under a palapa and look at crystal blue water while enjoying a cold cerveza and some guacamole and chips or tacos. We like ancient ruins. We are NOT big on shopping. We are not "Senior Frogs" bar type people. I am NOT a hiker (if I were we'd be camping in Yosemite rather than taking a cruise!)...

Does anyone have helpful information on what to do while in these ports?
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Bump in the hope that someone will have info about the Mexican Riviera ports!

Thanks!
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:35 AM
First Mate

i will be on the same cruise in feb of 2007. i cant wait. after she drydocks next year, i will be anxious to see her.

we splurged ( got a great price ) for a aft extended balcony cabin on the upper deck. wow, it is going to be fantastic.

i am an eager beaver, a diligent researcher and i spend many hours just surfing around to try to find out things about the hotels and the ports before i cruise. i am in the process now ( i know it is way early ( 16 months before the cruise ) but i have lots of time for it ) to try and find a great hotel in san diego that is on the beach and close to the peir. this hotel keeps sounding better all the time and i am going to checking it out closely.

i want to have a shuttle from the airport, to the dock, has a cont/breakfast and is close to eating and shopping spots. this sounds like the perfect place.

i hope you find a place that has all that you want and that you have a great cruise. i cant wait to go and get away from the snow and cold weather we will be having here in the mid-west.

make sure we know how your cruise went and what you did. we will be anxious to hear all about it
Old September 19th, 2005, 08:06 PM
First Mate

antron:
I'm really big on researching ahead of time, too.
As it happens, hubby and I spent last weekend in Baja, Mexico. On our way home we took a detour to the port in San Diego to check out where the Cruise Ship Terminal was, and hotels in the area.
I can tell you that the Holiday Inn (I think it is called the Holiday Inn Bayside) is DIRECTLY across the street from the ship's terminal. And I mean DIRECTLY. You could walk across the street to it.
Not far away is the Embassy Suites. They are always lovely; they usually have free happy hours in the evenings and a free breakfast buffet in the mornings.
Hubby and I will be looking into them. We originally thought we would drive down to San Diego (we still might) but it occurred to us that it might be fun to take the train down. It would be less hassle, and we wouldn't have to worry about parking the vehicle. But we would have to schlepp our baggage on and off the train. I'm going to be contacting the Embassy Suites to find out if they have a shuttle from the train station, which is even closer to the hotel than the airport (which you can see from the port -- its literally across a part of the bay), and a shuttle to the port. (I wouldn't want to walk to the port from the Embassy Suites, although it could be done)...
I never even found Best Western Bayside, but we didn't have a map with us; we just drove around...it might be as close as these others and we just didn't see it.
The Holiday Inn, the Embassy Suites -- there were others (Westin, Hyatt, etc.)...all are in a great section of San Diego. I can't say that they are on the "beach" though. But, oh the restaurants, shopping and sights abound! And San Diego has an affordable trolley that will take you all over the place. I actually wish hubby could get more time off work, so we could spend a couple of days in San Diego....
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Terri,

The Holiday Inn across the street from the port is the Holiday Inn on the Bay. The one near the airport is the Holiday Inn Bayside.

As I mentioned previously, in May we rented a car from Avis, drop off is fwy close, they shuttled us to the Embassy Suites. They charge $20/day parking and yes they do have a free port shuttle. We walked across the street from ES and went to Seaport Village. If you rented a car from Avis, you might be able to arrange for them to pick you up after your cruise and rent a car for your trip home thus eliminating the parking fee for the week and depending on the type of car your reserve, could save $.

As far as the ports go, we did city tours in the first two ports then stayed on the ship for the last one. The city tour in Acapulco included cliff divers. A friend who went with us took the turtle farm tour in Manzanillo, taking a small boat ride first to the farm. He got to pick his own turtle and let it go into the ocean.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM
First Mate

terri

it sounds like you are going to have a great time. i want to be on the beach but also be able to see the ship as it comes in the morning of our cruise. i am checking out shelter island and harbor drive. they have some good hotels ( i am still researching them ) and eating places close to some of the hotels. i am trying to narrow down the places i want to stay. it will be for just one night, the only time i have been to san diego and we leave the day we get back from the cruise. so i have to make the most of 1 night. have a great time.
Old September 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM
Beginner

Terry,

We will be on the same cruise! Hubby and I are in our early to mid 40's and the children are 14 and 16. We have a balcony on the Empress deck-one of the extra extended balconies! We are booked in the Best Western Bayside the night before. Flying in to SAN from PHL though we live in NJ. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!