Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Passenger

Default Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman

Is it true that this is an excellent not to be missed? I am leaving on the Valor on Sunday and was thinking we could visit sting ray city while in Grand Cayman.

It looks great but I want to hear from those who have done it. I am not into snorkeling and it says you can wade in 3-5 feet of water with them.

THanks!
Leanne
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:13 PM
First Mate

My husband and I did it with our 2 daughters. It really was incredible. Our one daughter is a school teacher and she bought the video and her classroom loves it. They can't believe she did it!!! Of all our excursions so far it is one of the best! Definitely don't miss it, well worth money!!!
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Admiral

How about we did it yesterday?

Both my teen son and I agree - it's a not to be missed experience. Yes, 3-5 feet of water - snorkels if you want them - vests included. We booked thru the ship ($47) and were very satisfied. 10 minute bus to the dock, 30 minute boat ride - 1 hour at Stingray City.

I would do it again TOMORROW!!

DOROTHY
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Stingray City Tour is great!! My wife and I had a wonderful time. We did not book with the ship though, we booked on our own through Nativeway, I think it was $25 a person.

11/15/03 Triumph First Cruise...So long ago, where has the time gone?
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Yeoman

We did it in December with Captain Marvins...he has a website. YOu have to book online ahead of time and pay when u get there. They book up! They take you to three different places and Stingray City being one of them. Many less people than through the ship. It was about 3 hours for all three places..that includes the time to get there and back.
This is a must do!! If you're that timid, you can stay on the boat. But you have to try it with the stingrays. They glide against you..just so cool! Just don't stand on the end of their tails and you'll be fine...that's where their stingers are. You can feed them and kiss them too....great photo op.
We're going again in Jan. and would love to do this excursion again.

Have fun!!!
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky
We did it in December with Captain Marvins...he has a website. YOu have to book online ahead of time and pay when u get there. They book up! They take you to three different places and Stingray City being one of them. Many less people than through the ship. It was about 3 hours for all three places..that includes the time to get there and back.
This is a must do!! If you're that timid, you can stay on the boat. But you have to try it with the stingrays. They glide against you..just so cool! Just don't stand on the end of their tails and you'll be fine...that's where their stingers are. You can feed them and kiss them too....great photo op.
We're going again in Jan. and would love to do this excursion again.

Have fun!!!
Hey Bigsky, I know you. You have been on that other board too!

I second that on Captain Marvins. They are awesome. We will be booking again with them on the January cruise.
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Yeoman

Default Shhhh..

Hey Cubdaddy!
SHhhhhh...don't tell anyone. ha ha
So you're going to book with CM? Have to talk hubby into it. I want to go again and he wants to try something different...I usually win.

See ya in January!
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to cruisinpaige Send a message via MSN to cruisinpaige

I have been on nearly 20 cruises and I have done this excursion at least twice--no wait I did it three times. It is so much fun and so memorable. I even did it alone once! Don't miss it! Bring an underwater camera (disposable is fine). The rays are so soft and cuddly you will love them. I did a tour that was around $55 and they went to several other places including a turtle farm before the stingray city and I highly recommend that tour. You will see some very rare turtles at that farm and you get to pick them up and touch them, etc. They also take you to hell and to a house made of conch shells and the cake factory-yummmmmm.
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Passenger

It is the best shore excurision I've experienced. The water is calm, the sting rays are friendly, and the photo ops are great!
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Admiral

it is a definite MUST SEE. We booked with Captain Marvin. His company is one of the oldest tour companies on the island, his crews are the best. Book in advance as he doesn't sell out of an office on on the pier.
The sandbar is an amazing place!. You stand in the water its maybe 3' feet deep, the water is crystal clear and its just amazing to see these gorgeous sea creatures all around you. I had a big male swim right up against my legs, it was amazing, felt like my legs were being brushed by a feather. We also saw a mom and baby ray. They truly look like they are flying thru the water. You may pet and feed them if you wish, just pay attention to your dive masters instructions, the rays are wild creatures afterall.
Old September 25th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Default Sting Ray City vs Stingray Sandbar Tour

Sting Ray City vs Stingray Sandbar Tour

We are sailing on the Liberty in March and have heard wonderful things about the Stingrays. So we started to look into booking an excursion and found on Carnival's website that there are two. Does anyone know what the difference is and if one is better than the other?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old September 26th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Default Sting Ray city sandbar

Just got back from there!!
What a wounderful excursion. We did the one thru Carnival and it went to Hell, turtle farm and rum factory before the sting ray city sandbar tour.
We had a blast. Water was waist deep. Took the underwater camera and bought the cd they took of us. I would do it again tomorrow. My girls coudn't believe that I did it and now they want to go there for vacation.
You won't be dissappointed.