Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Beginner

Default Tansderm Patch

Has anyone ever taken Transderm patches for motion sickness?
Was just wondering if they work well, or if there is any side effects?
And what ages are they good for. Teens ??
Thanks in advance for you respones...
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Admiral

I could not cruise without it. I get sick thinking about it lol. The patch makes your eyes a little red and a little dry but not uncomfortable. I can't drink alcohol when I wear it - magnifies the effects.

There were people actually bouncing from wall to wall ( or bulkhead to bulkhead in shipspeak lol) on our first cruise - and very high seas. I saw green people, and staggering people and others clinging to furniture - but not be - the perennial car puker. I was walking great and didn't feel ill for even one moment! That really amazed me.

I could even read in the car when I wore the darned thing. Usually I can't even llok down at the floor. Not everyone will have the same results but I highly recommend it. Buy an extra patch or two though - I did lose one after a shower so needed to put a new one on. They are good for three days each. It is also suggested you only use them for the six days (two patches) but I put on a new one when we got to Orlando so I could go on the rides at Universal - worked there too. In total I had them on for 12 days and I was just fine. I felt a little woozy back home for a few days - but that wore off after time. Just had to get my land legs back.

Just checked the info on my new box (leaving again in a few days) - it says that children should not use the patch but does not give and exact age - so check with your doctor or the pharmacist. We get them over the counter here in Canada so we don't need a prescription.

Hope this helps - if you have any other questions just ask. Have a great cruise!

ttfn Jennifer
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I haven't used it for cruising but when I had a middle ear infection and was dizzy all the time.

That patch worked for the dizziness, but my vision was so blurry, I couldn't hardly see tv. I could't read anything either. It was that fuzzy. That was one of the side effects it listed, and I got it. It was weird to have such vision and even a cheap pair of reading glasses didn't help. It was awful.
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Admiral

unless you are prone to severe motion sickness when you drive, ride or fly the patch is not for you. The basic ingredient in it is an anti-seizure medication. The side effects can be really bad in some people.
The patch is overkill for the mild queezies- which is what the majority of passengers get. For the mild queezies try Bonnine, SeaBands or ginger cookies/candy.
The ships are very stable and chances are that if you do not suffer from motion sickness you will not need anything.
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Passenger

I didn't like it at all. It really made my mouth dry. I now use Bonine. It's supposed to work for 24 hours. I take it at night when I go to bed, so I won't feel drowsy the next day. Works for me.
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Admiral

My doctor does not recommend the patch for males. He said problems could occur. My hubby and I take meds in pill form...such as Bonine.
Old September 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Familiar Face

My pharmacist told me that since I wear contacts definitely not use the patch. Cause dry mouth, dry eyes, dialation of pupils and some dizziness. He suggeted (and was RIGHT) to use Non-Drowsy Dramamine, Bonine or their generic equivalent, Meclazine. It is available at most pharmacies behind the counter in the general version Meclazine. Got a bottle of them, 100 for $3.74 at my Publix pharmacy. They had to order because they were out, high demand, but got in the next day. They are chewable, taste like Bayer baby aspirin. We started taking 1/2 in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m. the day before we sailed. No drowsiness, nothing. Worked great. Also with the transderm patch, you have to get a prescription from your doctor and I'll bet they are much more expensive and have more side effects that the $3.74 Meclazine!!!
Old September 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Beginner

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE REPLIES.. I THINK I WILL LOOK INTO IT MORE BEFORE WE SAIL.. THANKS AGAIN
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Passenger

I do use the patch for my motion sickness, and it helps me. But then again, mine is more than just mild queasiness. You can get Bonine or dramamine from the purses desk if you need, or pack a bottle before you go. I am on medication, so I had to get he patch cleared through my cardiologist, as it may interact with other medications you may be taking. It is also not good for children or the elderly, as it may, in the case of the elderly, cause confusion and disorientation. My suggestion, is if you can get by without anything, or even by using the milder treatments (dramamine, ginger, sea bands) then do soUse Transderm Scope as a last resort only.
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:01 AM
First Mate

8) I use the patch and It works great for me and my daughter.
I take lots of meds so I feel that the Doctor is the best one to ask.
Mine says to put it on before you step on the ship. It works great. This last week my daughter had one bad patch that did not work once we changed it she was ok.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2