Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default cozumel chankaubab park snorkeling ruins question

Well, I posted last night, but can't find it -- must be out in cyberspace somewhere. I have been to chankaubab park many times and while snorkeling out there, I came across a HUGE statue on the bottom (scared the ___ out of me!) There were also some others close to shore. My question is - does the hurricanes that hit there hurt these ruins? Are they still there? Were they PUT there or what? Just interested as it really was neat to see! I tried to touch it, but couldn't (unless you went diving). But, it was HUGE so I imagine it was extremely heavy - and wonder if it is still there since Rita and Wilma???? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Cheryl,
I think until they re-open up, there is no way to know if they were damaged or still there?? It will still be weeks before they are open again, sure hope they are un-damaged.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I actually just read something about that but I'm not sure if they were talking about the same statue that you are. What I read was about a statue of the Virgin Mary. They said it was being put back in it's place soon and was going to be blessed by a priest. I've never been there tho. I assumed they were talking about an underwater statue but maybe this one is an above ground statue.

Liberty 12/02/07
Miracle 03/26/06
Pride 03/03
Holiday 03/87
Festivale 07/85
Old November 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

It definitely was not the virgin mary!! That I am sure of. I don't even remember even seeing that - but the place is/was huge, so I am sure I missed it.
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiHo
I actually just read something about that but I'm not sure if they were talking about the same statue that you are. What I read was about a statue of the Virgin Mary. They said it was being put back in it's place soon and was going to be blessed by a priest. I've never been there tho. I assumed they were talking about an underwater statue but maybe this one is an above ground statue.
Your right, I did see that same thing, perhaps on one of the reports form a local I believe? I did not recall where they were replacing it. Of note , I did read also on a dive site where the small 40? passenger plane that was sunk for divers several hundred yards off shore near cruise piers, did sustain alot of damage and won't be of much interest any more. Not first hand knowledge just read on resent reports.