Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:57 PM
First Mate

Default The Supper Club - You Have to Try It!

Just returned from the Carnival Legend this past Sunday 12/11. This was my 13th Carnival cruise. If there is one thing you must do, it's spend $30 extra bucks and go to the Supper Club if it is available on your ship. It was the best meal I've ever had and the service was fantastic! You must go with an empty stomach - the amount of food you are served will overwhelm you and the quality of the food will knock your socks off. I have truly been impressed by the Supper Clubs and most other cruise lines can't even come close to the meals prepared in the Supper Clubs offered by Carnival. I went to a Supper Club on the Golden Princess last June and it was a disaster. Carnival does it right! Ok, most people don't cruise but once a year (the lucky more often) so why not treat yourself when you have the opportunity! I definitely give it five forks!

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I totally agree. We have tried it on Carnival Spirit this past September. I didn't want to do it because we spent so much on the cruise and the food was included, so I figured, why should I buy a night out?? But, I did it for DH because he loves steak. I got the Lobster and it was awesome!! Everything was so well worth it. I cannot stress how well worth it it was!! For 30.00 a person you can't beat it! We left an awesome tip tho ----
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Admiral

We loved the one on the Glory so much!!! We tried the Spirits and it was wonderful too. This past month we had to try Harry's on the new Liberty and it was not as good! We were disappointed. We had 6 pm reservations and there were only a few ppl there but the service was terrible. We sat there waiting for over 10 minutes waiting for them to take our dinner dishes and get coffee and dessert. The other couple wanted to leave but finally they came around. I think they forgot about us because it started to get busy. We will still try the Supper Clubs because we like them.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Is the alternative dining room appropriate for a 12 year old? He's been on multiple cruises and is used to fine dining, I'm just wondering about the menu. We're on the Glory in two weeks and were wondering if it would be worth bringing him along with us. We have used the alt. restaurant once before on the Millennium, however it was more for nostalgia (it was dedicated to the Olympic, Titanic's sister ship), as we are usually happy with the dining room service. Any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Mark,
If your son is use to formal dining and you want to pay the $ for him, then by all means have him join you. I think they allow children 16 and under to dine before 7 pm but I could be wrong about the age & time. Enjoy.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:24 PM
First Mate

Yes, if he enjoys fine dining, I would highly recommend it. It was $30 p/person on the Legend last week so I assume it will be along those lines on the Glory. I ate in the supper club on the Glory as well 2 years ago and it was fantastic as well. On the Legend they had an awesome jumbo shrimp appetizer and escargot - on the Legend they allowed us to order 2 appetizers if we chose to (and I did). For entrees they had a huge Porterhouse (I believe it to be either 22 or 24 ozs.), a nice filet, lamb chops (mom said these were the best she ever had), a nice sirloin, lobster and surf and turf (lobster and filet). I believe they also had a chicken dish. They also had sides such as a baked potato, mushrooms, etc. All the portions are huge. I'm not joking when I say you have to "not eat between breakfast and dinner" or you will be very full by the time you get to your main entree. They also serve some "compliments of the chef" in between - for example, at the very end of the meal, even after the dessert, they bring you a plate of small desserts for the table to share. It's definitely well worth it.

By the way, the Glory is a great ship. Slightly upscale and more refined than other Carnival ships. You'll have a great time. If you like fried oysters and fried fish (if they still have these upstairs on the Lido deck) try them - they are phenomenal. Overall, the food and entertainment on the Glory was very good.

Enjoy!
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:47 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

I will totally disagree about the Super Club.

On both ships I inquired about the Supper Clubs from waiters and cabin stewards and consistently, even from bar tenders told me the same thing, same food, different plates. At first I thought they were joking but I went to both the supper clubs on the Miracle and on the Liberty. To pay an additonal $30 to get the same food you get in the dining room and not any better service (in both of my experiences on two different ships) than you get in the dining room is not worth the $30.

Most nights, on both ships, the Supper Clubs were empty, I think it is obvious why.

I am glad to hear some feel it is worth the surcharg and have had exceptional experiences. In my case that has not happened.

I think Carnival needs to do more work on the Supper Club concept to make it something better. Just my opinon.
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Dar4960 Send a message via Yahoo to Dar4960

I just returned from the Glory and my family and I did the Supper Club thing. It's well worth the money but be sure that you are really hungry before you go. It's way more food that I or my daughter could eat, we didn't even make it to dessert, we were stuffed by the dessert course. She and I both asked that our meat be "well done" and it was BUT it took an extra 20 minutes to get it well done so we were there for over 2 hours eating. I am not sure that I will do a Supper Club again, I really enjoy the dining room service and staff way more than I did in the Supper Club.
Darlene
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Harry's on the Liberty was wonderful and while the food in the dining room was good, Harry's was far superior and was worth the surcharge. Our experience was fantastic and everything was top notch. During our visit, it was most definitely not the same fare served in the dining room. The previous week we had eaten at Chops on RCCL's Enchantment and without a doubt Harry's outdid them every step of the meal and I enjoyed Chops, but Harry's wowed us!
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:39 PM
First Mate

Default Are You Kidding Me?!

Chyna...the food is totally different from the dining room, so I have to disagree with your statements. The menu itself displays a clear difference...for example, they do not have a 24 oz. Porterhouse in the dining room nor can the filet even compare to what is served in the supper club, not to mention the ambience and service. Now I agree, the dining room food is excellent and the service is for the most part ideal, but the choices and quality of food offered in the supper clubs is far superior on Carnival vs. the dining room (I won't comment on the inferior supper clubs on the other cruise lines). It is very well worth the extra surcharge. Same foods, different plates can't be farther from the truth. Not real certain you tried the supper clubs on Carnival as your comments are not realistic. I am hopeful Carnival does not change a thing!
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Admiral

Chris, you are so right! I was talking tonight about how wonderful the dessert was. It was an ensemble of 4 different chocolate desserts on a tray and that was just for me! Each was different and it was served on a long crystal tray, and the presentation was a work of art. I am a consumer of fine chocolate and know when I have something special and believe me there was nothing even close to what I ate that night being served in the dining room. Yummy!
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:35 PM
First Mate

There is no way that the food is the same as main dining room Look at the menu and I promise you it is totally different and also well worth the extra charge.We had Stone Crabs and I promise you that these will not be found on any main dining room.As for carnival having the best alternative restaurant I would suggest that you Try the Olympic on the Millinnium before you make your final decision.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

The above poster is SO wrong saying the food is the same, on different plates. Not even close.

I took my 7 year old this past July. She enjoyed it just as much as we.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

:o MY NY STRIP WAS OK,BUT THE TWO PORTER HOUSES WE GOT HAD THIS BURNT GLASE,ON IT THAT TASTED AND SMEKLL AWFUL,IT IS ROMANTIC THOUGH,MY BUDDY AND HIS WIFE GOT THE SURF AND TURF THE NEXT NIGHT AND LIKED IT,SO ITS DIFFENTLY QUALITY MEAT,BUT THE BURNT GLAZE ON TWO OF THE PORTER HOUSE WAS NOT TASTEY,AND WE ORDERED RARE,MED RARE.GREG,LIBERTY NOV.12TH 05
Old December 23rd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Passenger

Is there a supper club on the Destiny? My husband and I are going in four weeks and that sounds delicious.
Old December 26th, 2005, 11:24 PM
First Mate

Perhaps the supper clubs on different ships are slightly different?

Hubby and I considered trying the supper club on the Spirit a couple of weeks ago....took a look at the menu on the second day, I think it was. Maybe the portions were bigger than in the dining room, but the choices appeared to be EXACTLY what we had at some point throughout the week in the dining room. I remember that one steak item was specifically in "three peppercorn sauce" just as the same cut steak entree on the previous night's dining room menu was.

We were told to allow three hours for this dining experience. Three hours??!!??

Maybe we'll try it one day, but except, perhaps, for the desserts -- and, as I said, the portions -- the menu offerings appeared no different than what was served in the dining room during the week. I don't need larger portions; if I'm still hungry (I have NEVER been 'hungry' on a cruise) I can ask for an extra serving and get it.

I've heard positive and negative about the supper clubs. Just because someone has a difference experience than you doesn't mean they are mistaken or lying.
Old December 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM
First Mate

That's your mistake.

There are grades of foods. Steak does not equal steak. Shop prime sometime and you'll see the difference.

My filet mignon couldn't even be compared to the FM in the dining room.

Maine lobster no way resembles what they give you in the dining room.

I could go on, but there's no selling. You have to try it. You drew a conclusion without trying it out. Your choice. You tried to compare with your eyes. Eating is to be compared with the mouth. And then add dining to the mix, and that's what the supper club is all about.

BTW, we finished our meal in two hours. We were hoping for some extra strolls in between courses and intimate dancing, but it never happened. Until later.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old December 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Admiral

I think you have to look at the supper club "experience" as for what it is, an "experience" to be included/excluded in your cruise adventures.

I view it as I can cook almost anything at home that I can eat out (however since I am single the expense of cooking what I want is more often greater then if I ate out), but I enjoy the supper club atomosphere because in a week of being made to feel special, the supper clubs do an outstanding job (IMHO on the Conquest) of making that evening's dining experience worth the $30 surcharge, if for no other reason then having a break of the main dining room experience (which I love)

So I would focus less on the food, more on the experience..and until you try it yourself, you will not have the first hand experience to say whether it was worth it or not
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeteLI
That's your mistake.

There are grades of foods. Steak does not equal steak. Shop prime sometime and you'll see the difference.

My filet mignon couldn't even be compared to the FM in the dining room.

Maine lobster no way resembles what they give you in the dining room.

I could go on, but there's no selling. You have to try it. You drew a conclusion without trying it out. Your choice. You tried to compare with your eyes. Eating is to be compared with the mouth. And then add dining to the mix, and that's what the supper club is all about.

BTW, we finished our meal in two hours. We were hoping for some extra strolls in between courses and intimate dancing, but it never happened. Until later.
Well, I may not be an expert on cuts of beef -- but one of our tablemates in the Dining Room WAS -- he's been the meat-cutter, butcher, whatever you want to call it, at a high-end specialty grocery catering to southern California wealthy for the last 27 years (he critiqued which way the different cuts were 'cut', the grain making a difference in ease of cutting for the diner). And he and his wife DID try the supper club. While they enjoyed the experience, he gave the food no higher marks than in the Dining Room. As I said, perhaps the supper clubs on different ships are slightly different.

No doubt we'll try it one day -- just for the experience.

I, personally, have not said whether the experience is "worth it" or not. That would be subjective, in any case. For one person it may be beyond 'worth it' for another, not even close. Some that have posted here that have experienced it did not think it was worth it and were told they were just plain wrong. My point is: Nope. If it wasn't worth it to them, then it wasn't worth it to them. If it was worth it to you, then it was worth it to you. Neither of you is wrong, because it is SUBJECTIVE.
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:55 PM
First Mate

Yes, but always AFTER the experience.

I've yet (I think) to say if it was worth it.

Some posters come on and state how they can't wait to eat in the ports for the local foods, and wonder why, when all the food is available on the ship.

Each person will have a different answer.

I will make the decision on my next cruise if I have that "craving", or not. Just like when I eat in or out at home.

But again, "I" didn't find what was offered in the supper club to even compare to what was offered in the dining room.
Old December 27th, 2005, 02:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeteLI
Yes, but always AFTER the experience.
Such as Chyna and Hippie. You're missing my point. People have posted that Chyna was wrong. My point is that Chyna is NOT wrong, and neither are those people who enjoyed it.

Why should anyone give credence to one person's opinion of their experience over another's?
Old December 27th, 2005, 02:05 PM
First Mate

Let us know after you try it.
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:22 PM
First Mate

Chyna made her comments, but didn't even try it. The Supper Club menus are almost identical on every Carnival ship and to say the menu is not different as compared to the dining room is pure fairy tale. I've been on 13 Carnival cruises and have eaten in the supper clubs multiple times. Of course, it is one's choice whether or not they take part in this dining experience, but to say it's not different is ludicrous - especially for those who have not tried it. Again, the food in the dining room is very good...but the supper club offers a more intimate experience and an upscale dining experience compared to the dining room - both food and ambience. I definitely agree with PeteLI, don't knock it til' you try it. If you had/have a bad experience then you're free to comment. Cheers!
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:37 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M
Chyna made her comments, but didn't even try it.
Yes, she did. Re-read her post. She tried the supper club on two different ships.

I'm not knocking it, I'm just saying don't knock the people who have tried it and DO knock it. When we finally try the supper club I may be here touting it along with others. But I won't be saying that people that hold a different opinion are lying!

My specific comments about the food were in response to someone saying (paraphrasing) "It isn't the same food! Just look at the menu!" On the MENU, the fare is very much the same. On the palate it may differ, but on the printed menu "New York Strip in Three Peppercorn Sauce" in one venue is exactly the same as "New York Strip in Three Peppercorn Sauce" at another venue.
Old December 28th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Carnival Vincent

I tried the supper club on the Spirit and on the Liberty. On the Spirit it was an new experience and it was superior. The food and service were unbelievable. And I must say that diner in the dinning room was also excellent. I loved the 4 kinds of mousse in the Supper club on the Spirit. It was the best I have ever tasted. Last month I was on the Liberty Transatlantic so I had a few evenings to explore the Supper Club Harry’s. The food and service were great but not as good as on the Spirit and the dessert were not that special, they were nice but I missed the mousse on the menu. Maybe you get juiced to the experience and they than have to improve to the high standards we are asking. I still think that it’s a great please to eat and the fee for that is not too bad either. I must say that I do think that dining in all dining rooms has improved over the years. I find all the food on board of excellent quality. For the kind of money we are paying for a Carnival Cruise…. It’s well worth it. And they do an great job and I had a blast on each and every Carnival Cruise I’ve been on.

Vincent
Cruise History: 1990 Mardi Gras, 1993 Jubilee, 1998 Imagination, 2002 Fantasy, 2003 Carnival Spirit (panama canal), 2004 Carnival Triumph, 2005 Carnival Liberty (transatlantic)
Old December 28th, 2005, 07:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival Vincent
And they do an great job and I had a blast on each and every Carnival Cruise I’ve been on.
I've loved every Carnival cruise we've taken, too!

I'm really intrigued by the Liberty trans-atlantic cruise. I have a thread up somewhere asking about it....If you get the chance, Vincent, post in it. I'd really like to hear about it!

If hubby does take me on the transatlantic I promise to hound him to take me to the supper club. Even if it takes 3 hours -- hey, there are 5 sea days crossing, right?
Old December 28th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Passenger

We just got back from the 19-27 Dec Carribean Cruise on the Legend and had dinner in the Supper Club on Christmas Day. It was absolutely delightful! The food was wonderful and the ambience was great. We danced between courses and looked forward to what was at our table each time we returned. Eventhough there were a few things on the plates that we didn't especially care for, we completely enjoyed trying it all! I would easily say it's worth the $30 to experience it....an absolute must!
Old December 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

Just for clarifcation I DID try the Supper Clubs on both the Miracle and the Liberty. I tried to make it clear that MY experiences have not been exception but I am thrilled that others have had exceptional experiences.

As another poster kindly pointed out, MOST of the menu items are the same items you can get during the week in the regular dining room. And in some cases, if you don't see it on the menu, ask. The fillet mignon I had in the Harry's Supper Club was not superior in any way to the fillets I had in the dining room on two different nights.

I understand some posters here cannot understand that not everyone agrees with them, that is why I tried to be very clear to say thisi is "MY" experience. I know others have had wonderful experiences, just neither experience I have had were exceptional.

Everyone has opinons and I hope I in NO way said anything that was taken as a personal attack as it was meant as an expression of "my" experiences and nothing more.

I don't often post, but when I feel I have a different perspective from that what most posters are posting, I try to post so others can see there are other opionons out there and you do not have to agree with everything posted. And one day it is my dream that opposing opinions can exist on this board without personal attacks.

I will say one thing at Harry's was OUTSTANDING, the jewelry (SUPER BLING) in the cases spread around the room was AMAZING. I DO wish Carnival would sell replicas of this jewlery in their gift shops!! Seeing that jewelry was my second most favorite part of the "Harry's Experince" the first was the amazing group of people I was there with! (There were about 30 of us there that night).

Thank all of you for reading and have a wonderful New Year!
Old December 30th, 2005, 12:02 AM
First Mate

As I mentioned earlier we had stone crabs which I promise you were not on the dining room menu and will never be and secondly if you need a true dining expetrience you should try another line such as Celebrity.Having been on all of the main cruise lines I have never found the food to be the same as is in the main dining rooms and has always been worth the small extra charge for a first class dining experience.
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, after reading many responses to this Supper Club topic, my DH and I have already planned to visit the Supper Club on our Valor sailing this spring.

This will be our 3rd Carnival cruise and we have been extremely pleased with the menu as well as the service on our past 2 cruises, however we thought this would be a nice treat.

And to think, 3 hours for dinner while the kids are being entertained. Sounds like a great evening to me.

Chefkel22

Valor - 4/06
Celebration-4/05
Sensation - 4/04

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04